• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

306 Hdi Head Gasket Change

Rob Turbo

Not an XU I know, but close enough!

The head gasket went on my 306 HDi today, so I'm going to start changing it tomorrow, what I want to know is what's the minimum I have to take off before I can get the head off?

I'm thinking drain fluids, time the engine up and lock it, take the timing belt off (and everything needed to get it off obviously!), drop the exhaust off, take manifold bolts out, leave the turbo/exhaust manifold in the engine bay to save removing the oil feed/return, disconnect the HP lines, coolant hoses off, head off?

I'm guessing the manifold removal isn't going to be easy, I'm going to have to keep the hammer out of reach to make sure the engine will be fixable by the time I'm finished!

Any pointers?

pugdamo

I dont want to teach you to suck eggs but i have come across a few miss diagnosed hdi head gaskets,people get oil and water mixing and instantly think head gasket when its just the heat exchanger/oil cooler on the block. Its very rare for a modern diesel to blow head gaskets,but i do admit not impossible. Removal is pretty much as you said,have fun

Rob Turbo

It's gone between 2 cylinders, I made a start on it today and there's no way the head is coming off with the engine in place, I can't even get my hands down the back of the engine, never mind tools!

Looks like I'm going to have to crack on with the HDi I got off hexhamstu that I bought for my brother, and run that until I can sort mine out, my brother will have to wait!

Sign in to follow this