• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Twin Amp Setup

boldy205

Hi, i'm installing a twin sub and twin amp setup into my 306, both running a sub and amp each.

I have looked into the wiring for the RCAs, reasearching tells me i can use two splitters (one female, into two males) so only runninng one RCA lead from the stereo, to connect to both the amps.

Alternatively i have 3 sets of preouts on the back of the head unit labeled: SUB, FRONT, and REAR,

So my question is:

is it best to use the one RCA cable with two splitters from the SUB preout?

OR

Best to use two RCA cables, if so from which preouts?

Hope this makes sense, Thanks for looking,

Matt

cybernck

Do you have a subwoofer switch (crossover) on the amps?

If not, then you'll have to use the sub output on the headunit anyway.

If they do, I'd use front and rear outputs, for better signal, though the downside to this is that you won't be able to fade the subs.

boldy205

Not sure as I have not picked the amps up yet, but I could run one RCA with two splitters then? What do you mean by fading subs?

Thanks,

Matt

Daxed

Adjusting the volume of the subs independently from the volume of the front/rear speakers.

boldy205

I see, I kind of know what im up to, just the technical names of tnings stump me as im not that in to it! Thanks for the help, its wiring night tomorrow!

Simes

You have three dedicated pre outs for amps.

Use one to drive the sub amp, this will probably be in mono. There is no point in running two subs for starters and not worth splitting the signal.

The other two will be for front and rear speakers or however you set it up.

The point of these three RCA outputs is that you can adjust each of the levels from the headunit.

I'm runnng a similar head unit (Alpline CDA105ri) that has 3 RCA channels

1x mono amp for sub - channel 1

1x 4 channel amp for the front and rears delivered by the remaining 2 channels.

Tell us what amps you're using and we'll be able to help you more.

Edited by Simes

boldy205

They are JBL GTO 2000 amps, I am buying them from a chap on here but dont know exactlywhat they are like, why not run a split to two amps then?

Cheers,

Matt

Pugs in Pieces

run both subs off the same amp at 2 ohm, pretty sure gto stuff is 2 ohm stable, use the sub pre out from the head unit, use the front pre out for the speakers, ideally the speakers want to be in the front of the car as well, the soundstage is much greater.

boldy205

Ok, I have just finished running all cables in car, collecting the subs/amps tomorrow so will see how it goes. I may look at using the amps as pugs in pieces recommended when/if i get the chance to be board!

Will let you know how it goes, cheers!

JoshGti

I always used one of These with previous stereo stuff as then you only have to run one rca lead from the head unit. Still got mine around here somewhere but makes wiring a doddle because all your leads are in the boot then!

Edited by JoshGti