• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

[engine_work] Xu10J4Rs Gti6 Engine Rebuild

Paul_13

Hello!

Here's a project me and my mate (hovis16 on the 6 forum) have started, his 306 gti6 got written off by some stupid old man and managed to buy the car off the insurance company.

He bought a black 306 rallye off his cousin (lotek) and the engine had seen better days, it's puffing out ALOT of petrol vapour out the oil breather into the catch tank. No idea on the history of the engine, but on the bright side it's got a set of aftermarket cams but it's not mapped right at all.

Also the richw pas pump relocating kit has not been installed properly and the belt squeals like a pig in a grinder.

th_IMAG0200.jpg

So because of this we have decided to rebuild his old engine, which was in reasonable nick and install it into the rallye :)

It had a good compression and didn't burn oil, so i believe the rings are in good nick. It does puff blue smoke on gear change and I've put this down to the oil stem seals.

Started to strip it down, all well but then found the wrong head bolts have been used (from what i've seen) and a composite gasket has been fitted :blink: Odd as there's no mention of it in the service history.. everything else has been mentioned.

th_IMAG0266.jpg

It's started to deteriorate and evidence of it affecting the combustion chamber, as the exhaust manifold was burning different in colour slightly.

th_IMAG0267.jpg

How it stands now:

th_IMAG0275-1.jpg

Bit of shoulder wear on some of the bearings!?

th_IMAG0276-1.jpg

th_IMAG0277-1.jpg

Edited by Paul_13

welshpug

for the sake of £50 id stick some rings in there seeing as you have it apart, be a good idea to have the valve cutouts enlargened too seeing as it has aftermarket cams ...

Paul_13

Money is short for him mate, rings were £120 from Pug plus a hone all adds up. Don't know where you got £50 from!

A mate of mine Ryan has done the same (bought a second hand bottom end and used existing rings) and it's going fine. In an ideal world with lots of money yes, but that's out the question.

And it's not having the after market cams in there, didn't say we would be putting them in :huh: As i have established aswell as ryan_stdt you can get away with a reasonable skim using the standard head gasket/cams and not have any problems.

Just a lightened flywheel and pulley is being fitted.

Edited by Paul_13

welshpug

£50 = not from peugeot, rofl and a hone costs nothing if you do it yourself, its very easy

though the mains were only £25 from pug (j4r std)

as for the cams, you didnt say you were not using them.... having seen the engine sandy took apart after having a skim and failing, i really woulndt risk it....

on a budget its all the more reason to rake your time and do things properly imo, saves any expensive failures in the long run

Edited by welshpug

Paul_13

£50 = not from peugeot, rofl and a hone costs nothing if you do it yourself, its very easy

as for the cams, you didnt say you were not using them.... having seen the engine sandy took apart after having a skim and failing, i really woulndt risk it....

on a budget its all the more reason to rake your time and do things properly imo, saves any expensive failures in the long run

Good luck trying to find the correct rings, I tried ordered the right set and the wrong ones came through twice. It is known that it is hard to get hold of the correct rings for this engine, alot of places give you XU10J4 rings and i'm not mismatching rings off different engines.

I didn't say I was using the cams, clearly said we were rebuilding the old engine and putting that complete engine into the rallye.

I've spoken to Miles about that engine Sandy had fail and he said it was using aftermarket cams not standard cams.

I've had/worked on 3 engines that have had a skim and using the standard gasket and have been fine. It seems alot of what you say is not from personal experience but only what you read which may of been wrong in the first place.

Ryan's engine is running fine, compression is good and that was using as said a 2nd hand bottom end and a skim. All the head work was done by Miles, why would he recommend using a standard gasket with a skim and know it's going to fail?

Do us a favour and stop spamming my thread :)

Anthony

That's big-end shells that are that price (£25+VAT) - the mains are a little over twice that at £53+VAT, although that's still pretty reasonable.

I didn't say I was using the cams, clearly said we were rebuilding the old engine and putting that complete engine into the rallye.

I've spoken to Miles about that engine Sandy had fail and he said it was using aftermarket cams not standard cams.

I've had/worked on 3 engines that have had a skim and using the standard gasket and have been fine. It seems alot of what you say is not from personal experience but only what you read which may of been wrong in the first place.

With regards skimming, IMO you're both correct.

A standard engine, with standard cams set at standard timing, will be fine with a head that's been skimmed.

An engine that has aftermarket cams with more lift @ TDC, or standard cams that have had their timing advanced (as you'd perhaps want to if you were running throttle bodies for example) is rather more ill-advised on an engine that's had a noteworthy skim, as piston-valve clearance is already very tight on the XU10J4RS engine

If you're confident that you're only ever going to run standard cams and timing, then build it as-is, but if there's a chance that you're going to want something with more zing in the future, then it would be worth considering either enlarging the valve cutouts slightly, or using a slightly thicker (repair) headgasket to give you back some piston-valve clearance lost by the skim and prevent having to whip the head off again in the future.

Also, worth remembering that if you've opened up the engine to find a pattern headgasket, that it has likely already been skimmed atleast once in the past. At the very least it would be wise to measure and check how much has been skimmed off previously and adjust your plan accordingly.

Miles

You will find both male and female Torx bolts on these, Quite common, the Male ones I prefer as the socket has more to grip on but I have had these snap off when removing after a few years.

Paul_13

Did some more work on the engine.

Took off all the ancillaries/thermostat housing, looks surpirsingly clean in the water ways!

th_IMAG0318.jpg

Undone the carrier bolts in order and went over them in several passes to make sure nothing was left under stress. Prior to this I ensured the cams were left in a safe position before I undone the cam pulleys. Don't want valve contact now do we! The cams were left near the timing hole marks so it was easy to time again.

th_IMAG0317.jpg

th_IMAG0320.jpg

I started to take one of the lifters out and use the valve removal tool, but as it was poor light I left it. Don't want to bugger anything up.

Pic of the underside of head, a few of the valves look darker than others.

th_IMAG0321.jpg

Paul_13

Took the valves out today, found what looks like to be a bit of wear in the tappet seat. What do you guys think? Is this normal?

th_IMAG0328.jpg

Valves out :)

th_IMAG0329.jpg

th_IMAG0330.jpg

Paul_13

My mate decided to send the head off to Miles, and we're picking it up tomorrow.

Also dropping the crank down.

This rallye has turned out to be a nightmare, he bought it off his cousin and it's f*cked. Everythings wrong with it from rear beam to blown headgasket! Not how you treat family when you know it was going to happen.

These are the pictures of the engine we took out of the rallye, was hoping to save a few bits but it's all scrap by the looks of it.

Heads warped like a banana

Crank's quite scored,

Oil sprocket has 3 teeth missing

You can see the tide marks of coolant in 2 of the bores

Power steering pumps cracked

Coolant in the exhaust manifold

th_IMAG0374.jpg

th_IMAG0375.jpg

th_IMAG0381.jpg

th_IMAG0382.jpg

th_IMAG0384.jpg

th_IMAG0380.jpg

Engine out

th_IMAG0385.jpg

th_IMAG0386.jpg

Paul_13

Quick question saves starting a new thread.

If the cams are apparently regrinds, will I need to do what Anthony has done with his and flatten back the face of the buckets?

Or use the buckets out of the engine the cams came out of? But these haven't been checked for tolerances.

If the cams have been used in the past will they need to be bed in?

kyepan

i didn't but refacing them is generally a good idea to give the cams a clean surface to bed against.

welshpug

If they're already used then I dont think you need to do it, but then as Justin said it wont do any harm if they are not matched, its wiose to strip each one down for a clean whilst you have it all apart anyway, there's a guide on PeterT's site but it really is quite easy :)

Anthony

Heads warped like a banana

Crank's quite scored,

Oil sprocket has 3 teeth missing

You can see the tide marks of coolant in 2 of the bores

Power steering pumps cracked

Coolant in the exhaust manifold

WTF? The warped head and resulting coolant in the cylinders and manifold I can understand, and even to a point the cracked PAS pump... but teeth broken off the oil pump sprocket? :wacko:

If the cams are apparently regrinds, will I need to do what Anthony has done with his and flatten back the face of the buckets?

Or use the buckets out of the engine the cams came out of? But these haven't been checked for tolerances.

Providing that you keep the cam together with the matching buckets and in order, it will be fine.

If you're swapping the buckets around, best off prepping them to ensure that the face is true and that the cam will bed in nicely.

Paul_13

^In other words it's a bodge, must of dropped the sprocket when the engine was put together. It's a different engine to the original one at my guess.

Mileage isn't what it should be, the clocks are out of a Ph2 where the car is Ph3... So we don't know how many miles are on the car.

Any body know what these marks are?

th_IMAG0398.jpg

th_IMAG0399.jpg

Valves are sticking out unevening, due to the hydraulic tappets sorting themselves out. We cranked over the exhaust cam a few times by hand without the inlet in place to check this and they evened out after a good few turns.

th_IMAG0403.jpg

th_IMAG0404.jpg

Exhaust cam in place, we flatted off the top of the buckets before hand

th_IMAG0411.jpg

Due to my mate being distracted while moving the piston up the bore, the top ring popped out the bore D'oh! Off to borrow a mates piston ring tool

th_IMAG0405.jpg

Done!

th_IMAG0409.jpg

Edited by Paul_13

Paul_13

Polished cam covers in the making

th_IMAG0410.jpg

Uprated big end bearings courtesy of Miles (Pugracing) :)

th_IMAG0412.jpg

Crank had a bit of work by Miles aswell, the main end journals are 0.3mm undersize the big end journals are standard

th_IMAG0413.jpg

Shiny bits :)

th_IMAG0414.jpg

th_IMAG0415.jpg

th_IMAG0416.jpg

Repair headgasket from Pug

th_IMAG0417.jpg

That is all

Paul_13

Loads more progress made today:

th_IMAG0424.jpg

th_IMAG0423.jpg

th_IMAG0421.jpg

Inlet cam fitted aswell, both pulleys timed up and all ancilaries on the head fitted :)

Carefully made sure no valves clashed :)

th_IMAG0425.jpg

Paul_13

th_IMAG0431.jpg

th_IMAG0432.jpg

th_IMAG0433.jpg

State of oil sprocket that came out the rallye

th_IMAG0434.jpg

th_IMAG0435.jpg

th_IMAG0436.jpg

th_IMAG0437.jpg

th_IMAG0439.jpg

Miles

I'm going to state the obvious here, That's not a MLS gasket which the 6 lump should have

Paul_13

It's a thicker pug gasket for the xu10j4r, as they didn't do multi layered ones for a 6 from pug.

He's going to be using an inlet cam at some point so wanted clearance

welshpug

the standard one is but I'm not sure about the repair gasket, 0209 T9 is the part number, its 1.4mm over 1.2mm.

That's listed for the RS engine in the ZX BTW, Peugeot never listed a repair gasket for the RS, though the same one is listed for the RFV 135 engine.

Edited by welshpug

Paul_13

We just checked the part number and that's the one we have WP :)

allye

Why not get the correct multi layered metal one from a motor factors?

Paul_13

the standard one is but I'm not sure about the repair gasket, 0209 T9 is the part number, its 1.4mm over 1.2mm.

That's listed for the RS engine in the ZX BTW, Peugeot never listed a repair gasket for the RS, though the same one is listed for the RFV 135 engine.

Paul_13

th_IMAG0445.jpg

Relocating kit belt setup

th_IMAG0446.jpg

th_IMAG0449.jpg

Loom on

th_IMAG0450.jpg

th_IMAG0451.jpg

th_IMAG0452.jpg

Engine is in the car now, in the process of reconnecting the coolant pipes etc.