• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest simmy

Aftermarket Oil Coolers

Guest simmy

I know that not too many of you will have aftermarket oil coolers, but for those of you who do i was wondering where you've fitted yours??

I've also got the added drawback of having a St Tropez front bumper which leaves virtually NO room behind it... atm it looks like the only option is gonna be to mount it in the mouth of the bumper, in front of the mesh, leaving it vunerable to stones dirt n rabbits n stuff! :)

Mad Professor

lol. i was just about to ask the same thing.

Guest daz205

but it in the original bumper (above the valance) cut out a hole and fit a Renault 5 vent to the bumper to keep the looks

red

I've mounted a Mocol 18 row in the space for a 2nd fan in the front plastic grille that holds the rad, it's taken a bit of doing but with a bit of time it's a nice fit and gets good air flow with out obstructing the air flow to much to the rad, water temps are fine.

Regards Russ......

Guest Ed1.9Sorrento

My other 1.9 has an oil cooler fitted in the place where a second fan could go.

I was thinking of robbing it and putting it onto mine, but as I have two fans, I am a bit stuck as to where i can put it, as i don't want to alter any of the bodywork really :)

Also, do they actually make much difference, and is it worth doing?

Guest simmy

the only reason i'm putting one on is cos i haven't got the standard oil cooler on so if i perform it anywhere the oil temp is in the red within mins!! Can't say i've heard anyone moan of high oil temps in their 205s?? This would be the only reason to fit one, pretty sure it'd be unnecessary for you. if ur oils gettin that hot theres gotta be a prob somewhere surely??

Guest Ed1.9Sorrento

Mine seems ok, will probably leave it then :)

I just wondered why my 87 E plate 1.9 has one, but not many others, must have been fitted by one of the previous owners I guess?

Guest Antoni1.9

Ed -

My 87 E plate 1.9 also has the air to oil cooler in the 2nd fan cowling.

After this I believe they went to oil to water coolers.

Antoni

Anthony

I think the change to water/oil coolers probably happened around the same time as the change to the Phase 2 lights and black dash.

Certainly both of my Phase 1 1990 1.9 GTi's have come with air/oil coolers on them, whereas a couple of Phase 2 1991 models that I've seen have water/oil coolers on them.

jackherer
I think the change to water/oil coolers probably happened around the same time as the change to the Phase 2 lights and black dash.

Certainly both of my Phase 1 1990 1.9 GTi's have come with air/oil coolers on them, whereas a couple of Phase 2 1991 models that I've seen have water/oil coolers on them.

a little bit earlier, mid g reg, when they changed the coil from the inner wing to mounted on the inlet manifold. I think they introduced PAS at the same time.

Phase 1.5 they are sometimes called... :)

Anthony

My first 205 was a March 1990 and had the coil on the inlet manifold, but had an air-oil cooler and no PAS. My current 205 is a February 1990 and that has the coil on the wing (but does have the mount on the inlet, so I don't know if the inlet's been changed or the coil's been moved at some point in the cars life), and once again, no PAS and an air-oil cooler.

Doesn't really help much, but guess it means that the changes happened after March time, and didn't tir up exactly with the coil moving from the wing to the inlet.

jackherer

I reckon that the 1990 cars were all parts bin specials and its luck of the draw which parts you get. My 90 G sorrento has PAS, coil on manifold and water/oil cooler...

I think you're current 205 must have had parts changed, most likely the engine or manifold has been swapped for a later one, as moving the coil would involve swapping or modifying the loom...

Sign in to follow this