• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

1.9 Mi16 Oil Pump Sprocket

Paul_13

Hi,

This is a similar question to what i asked a few weeks ago about my 6 engine.

The oil pump sprocket is held in place by compression, just wondering if you can a keyed version so it locks onto the crank and not by compression.

Or can a 6 oil pump sprocket be fitted?

We're buying a xu10 spring from pug to up the pressure in the oil pump

Thanks

Edited by Paul_13

welshpug

gti6 sprocket is larger, might work if you used the pump and chain.

Tom Fenton

Get a 1600 sprocket, this has the keyway.

Paul_13

gti6 sprocket is larger, might work if you used the pump and chain.

I think i have a spare setup at home, i'll do some hunting.

Could be the easier option Tom. That would be off a 1.6 8v yes? And the chain would be a standard mi item?

Thanks

pug_ham

1.6 8v oil pump sprocket is smaller than the GTI-6 one.

Below is with the original 1.6 8v 18t crank pinion & then with the 22t cog I have on mine.

dscf4581s.th.jpg

dscf4582.th.jpg

g

Paul_13

Cheers G.

Just looked on service box and looks like the might have superceeded it with a keyed one... My mates crank only had 1 woodruff key on it where service box has 2.

Do you have a spare 1.6 oil pump sprocket lying about G?

Just compared the Mi16 sprocket (22 teeth NFP) and the 205 one has 18t? Thats what service box is showing up. Something up here.

Have to count the teeth on the one at my mates

Edited by Paul_13

Paul_13

1.6 8v oil pump sprocket is smaller than the GTI-6 one.

Below is with the original 1.6 8v 18t crank pinion & then with the 22t cog I have on mine.

dscf4581s.th.jpg

dscf4582.th.jpg

g

What chain did you run on that graham?

Anthony

Do you have a spare 1.6 oil pump sprocket lying about G?

I've certainly got one sat in the garage Paul from a late '92 1.6 GTi engine, together with matching chain :)

(there's an Mi16 one sat right next to it as well, so I can compare the two for you easily enough)

pug_ham

The chain, sprocket & pump I used are from an early XU10J2 iirc.

I've also got several 1.6 crank pinions & chains.

g

Paul_13

(there's an Mi16 one sat right next to it as well, so I can compare the two for you easily enough)

Yes please mate. Only worry ive got is that the existing cog collar has the bearing guard built onto it. Wonder if it will be a problem. May have to use the 1.6 8v bottom timing pulley.

Has any body ordered a mi oil pump sprocket from pug recently?

Paul_13

Hmmmm.... mate just counted the teeth on the sprocket and it's 22t.

What are my options as 1.6 8v are out the window.

The XU10J2 in the 405 has 22t but is NFP :angry:

Edited by Paul_13

Anthony

The usual "upgrade" is to use the 26 tooth sprocket and matching chain from an S16 (XU10J4) engine to increase pump speed/flow, and use the high-pressure spring from the same whilst you're there. However, I can't remember if that sprocket has a keyway for a woodruff key in it or not - I know that I've got one in the garage somewhere, but can't promise that I'd be able to find it in a hurry.

Paul_13

Ok that was the info I was hoping for, but by the look of service box it's different.

th_s16.jpg

But by the looks of it, the MI16 one may of been changed!?

th_mi16.jpg

But it's NFP :angry:

Wonder if gti6 would work? Nothing to seal the bearing seal though I think. Actually I think it may work.

I ideally want one with a key as the engine was losing all oil pressure when my mate booted it, either a dodgy sensor/blown to s*it rings/ oil pump sprocket slipping.

Would rather eliminate the slipping sprocket completely

Edited by Paul_13

Anthony

1.9 Mi16 and 2.0 S16 are the same fitment, just the S16 one is larger with more teeth (hence the different chain)

Generally speaking, if the crank pulley bolt is tight then the oil pump sprocket isn't going to slip and lose oil pressure - I can understand why you're wanting to make absolutely sure it doesn't happen though after it caused the death of one of your '6 engines.

My bet is that it's a sender/wiring glitch that's causing it as I've had the same happen to me before. In my opinion, the best thing that you can possibly do on an Mi16 engine in terms of peace of mind and not spanking the crank is to fit a proper mechanical oil pressure gauge so that you know exactly what it's doing. Comparing the standard gauge against a proper mechanical one is funny/scary depending on your viewpoint, as the mechanical one dances all over the place whilst the slow-witted standard one pretends that all is well...

Paul_13

I can see where your coming from on the mechanical pressure gauge, just not sure my mate wants any extra gauges on the dash as he wants to keep it standard looking.

If you get the time mate can you have a look for the s16 one please, or if you know for definate that it's not keyed. Not to worry.

I hope I haven't chucked the oil sprocket and chain I had lying about from a 6, as this seems the easy option for me as the pulley I know is still available.

I'll do some investigation and keep you all informed :)

Do all of the oil pumps have the same amount of teeth on the sprocket? (this is on the actual pump) Service box is giving me no answers

Edited by Paul_13

Anthony

All the oil pumps are the same number of teeth other than 1.8 16v (XU7JP4) which is much smaller.

img2935un.jpg

(XU7JP4 on the left, and a standard 1.6/1.9 8v/Mi16 pump on the right)

I'll have a look for you tomorrow for the S16 sprocket, as I think I know where one is...

Paul_13

If that's the case ^ i'll try the gti6 oil chain and sprocket. Need to refresh my mind on what the MI stuff looks like i'll pop round Ben's tomorow. Only doubt in my mind is the width of the 6 sprocket vs. the mi sprocket/spacer

Got to start cleaning bits up and checking the condition of them again.

Cheers for the info :)

Edited by Paul_13

Anthony

That pumps are the same number of teeth (other than the 1.8 one mentioned) - it's the crank sprocket that differs

(XU10 oil pump have the high pressure spring as standard, and have the casting drilled/tapped for the chain splash cover, whereas XU5/9 ones - like the one in the right of that picture - don't)

Miles

Has the Mi got adjustable wheels? if so then the GTi6 drive is a easy fit with the cam belt drive wheel

Sign in to follow this