• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

What Are These Wires?

johnhenry

Evening all

doing battle with an idiots attempt at installing an immobiliser and have come across something that i'm curious about, but also want to know if its relevant to my removal.

See picture below.

wirehelp1.jpg

the 5 yellow and green (dotted) wires go into this box housing. the other 2 blue necked wires go off to my car alarm box.

What are the 5 yellows and is it relevant that the 2 alarms are in there as well? ofc my alarm will be different to others, but the 5 wires will shed some light on the relevance of the 2 alarm wires.

the other side of the steering column has this arrangement,

wirehelp2.jpg

just one wire in, is this an earth?! whats it doing there.

Wiring isnt my forte, but im doing everything methodically and labelling everything. this is just stumping me atm.

Cheers all

John

welshpug

they are all earth wires, specifically what I don't know but you may find some numbers on the original wiring.

johnhenry

thought so! guess the 2 alarm wires are earths too then! they will come off then!

ill try and chase the exact wires down tomorrow.

johnhenry

Morning all

another set found upon tracing wires.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff390/johnhenry90/IMG_8660.jpg

IMG_8660.jpg

The yellow and orange on the right are the items in question. They appear to be as substancial as the red and yellow (on the left) suggesting they are original, but then the orange and yellow both are divided into 3 wires that go into the alarm. and lead nowhere else.

Ive tried looking around for 2 other ends of orange and yellow wires, maybe coming off another set of wires from the alarm but nothing!

Im horrendous at reading wiring diagrams but it appears 4 come off the ignition barrel, but then again, both the red and yellow (right) split into 2 each.

How does 1 remove the ignition barrel also?

Cheers

JOhn

Edited by johnhenry

Fox

I think they just need to be joined back together again?

As far as I can remember, the barrel slides out with the key in the first click, you may have to push the metal retaining tabs in with a screwdriver or similar.

Fox

Edit, I think the wires from the barrel should go into a connector plug, maybe that's the bit they snipped off to fit the alarm wires? Hence the fat wires are a different colour

johnhenry

fair point. if they go into a connector plug, what are they connected to? each other? sorry i'm so baffled by this attempt at a car alarm. ill get the barrel out and post another picture

johnhenry

PS: the red and yellow wires (right) do go into a connectors, once they have split into 2 wires each, so 4 wires from 2 from the barrel.

johnhenry

to try and clear up what the yellow and orange wires on the left of my previous photo are. Ive got the ignition barrel out.

the orange and yellow wire to the left and bottom are the 2 in question. What are they for? they have been cut so they have no identifying numbers or letters on them

keywhatis.jpg