• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

General Purpose Loctite

chipstick

Going to buy a 205 oil filter thread so I can do away with the heat exhanger on the GTi6 block.

I don't have any loctite to hold it in place so need to buy some, the correct one.

Have had a nosey on their website. And they list Loctite 270 High Strength, general purpose threadlocker, Breakaway torque 33Nm.

Will that be sufficient for what I want? Or is it overkill/not enough.

Idelly if there is an all rounder that will come in handy in the future then I would rather buy that.

petert

I don't use anything on the thread, but if you must, some 243 will suffice. 277 requires heat to undo.

Edited by petert

chipstick

If I can get away without buying some for the sake of it, I would.

I was just under the impression with the thread being presumably half and half in the block and the filter, it could do with being held in position so when the filter is done up, the thread doesn't get wound into the block with minimal thread left gripping into the filter.

Cameron

I've never used Loctite on the oil filter stub, just do it up to the correct torque and it won't come undone when you undo the oil filter.

For reference, 243 is the blue "light duty" threadlocker you should use for anything you want to be able to undo afterwards.

chipstick

:ph34r: How do I torque a hollow threaded piece? (I guess that what it looks like)

Anyone know the torque it is supposed to be?

petert

:ph34r: How do I torque a hollow threaded piece? (I guess that what it looks like)

two nuts locked together, or one nut and an Mi16 adaptor

243 is medium, 222 is low.

Edited by petert

Cameron

Doesn't the stub have a small hex on it near the base?

chipstick

Haven't collected it from Peugeot yet, but from a picture I saw it looked hollow.

NeilGTi85

The thread is hollow and you cant torque it as it does not bottom out on anything? [GTI 6 block]

Trying to find 2 nuts to tighten it is near impossible due to the thread pitch, I did try before I relised it did not tighten up.

I screwed the thread in by hand and it did not stop on anything, maybe a longer thread is needed as I know there is 2 types?

This is a pic of the one I brought -

OilFilterThreadAdapterForGTI6.jpg

Edited by NeilGTi85

chipstick

The other one listed on Servicebox is no longer available.

Neil, have you undone it since, or leaving it while its done up and doing the job :lol:

NeilGTi85

I put some oil resistant thread lock on [only a very small amount] and have done the filter up hand tight at the moment.

I will check it at the weekend, I've still got the plumbing to do untill I can run it.

TBH once the filter is done up tight it will be pulling on the thread, so I dont think it will come loose.....

EdCherry

If your that worried a fair few engine builders ive worked with put jubilee clips round them and tighen. Loctite is a pain in the arse!

petert

Loctite is god's gift to metal workers.

Cameron

I wanted to ignore this but I can't.. how is Loctite a "pain in the arse"???

Do you prefer your fasteners to vibrate loose? Is that how they do things in real racing teams?

Edited by Cameron

NeilGTi85

If your that worried a fair few engine builders ive worked with put jubilee clips round them and tighen. Loctite is a pain in the arse!

Jubilee clips round what?

SurGie

Around the oil filter of coarse :rolleyes::unsure: no wait, how can that be :blink:

Using a tap will sort out getting rid of the thread lock.

Unless they are to stop them turning round, but what would you use to link the jubilee clip round ? :unsure:

Edited by SurGie

EdCherry

Cant say I have much faith in the jubilee clip, and cant tell you why but most of the engines I install and work on have them fitted. So something must warrant them from race engine builders of the passed couple of decades.

Loctite is a pain in the arse cause it means you have to clean threads, damages threads etc. I prefer using silicone, as do many race teams ;)

Edited by EdCherry

Rippthrough

I'll stick with loctite...

Alastairh

Lol.

marksorrento205

Im with Cam on this one rgd loctite.

I personally always use some when fitting the oil filter threaded adaptor in the block. It goes with out saying you dont use it on the filter its self. Even if it halfs the chances of the threaded part unwinding when you remove the filter, whats the harm in thats?

Edited by marksorrento205

Cameron

After having a torqued up cam pulley vibrate loose in a mapping session and nearly kill my engine, and a inner cam cover bolt drop out and hole the timing belt, I'd always go with Loctite! :lol:

There's a reason any automotive OEM or proper race prep will use threadlock on critical fasteners - it works! :lol:

NeilGTi85

lol, I still dont understand how you can use a jubilee clip on the oil filter thread?! Thats what this thread was originally about...

Of course, dont use loctite for the filter itself, just on the thread into the block.

Will be checking tommmorow if I have put a sufficent amount on the thread that it does not come out when I undo the filter :)

chipstick

lol, I still dont understand how you can use a jubilee clip on the oil filter thread?! Thats what this thread was originally about...

I only asked which type of loctite to buy as I don't have any :lol:

Will be checking tommmorow if I have put a sufficent amount on the thread that it does not come out when I undo the filter :)

Pop your findings in here. I am going to aim for half in the block with loctite. Half poking out and go from there.

I swear someone put loctite on my 1.9 oil filter as I had to chisel it off for 5 mins before it even budged!

petert

I prefer using silicone, as do many race teams ;)

I hope not the garden variety guttering type, like old mate Baker suggested on here a few years ago! It sticks like sh*t to a blanket and is a bugger to remove. Loctite is of course just a brand name and has many different products. Using the right product for the right job is of course the key. I never use 277 as it requires heat to undo. This is what I use for various bits on an Mi16 engine. Highly recommended.

Loctite 243 - the three small retaining screws on the rotor button. At continuous 7000+ they are guaranteed to come loose.

Loctite 549 - oil pressure gauge fittings to block, oil gallery bungs etc. Brilliant stuff. I even use it on plumbing fittings around the house instead of thread tape.

Loctite 5290 Copper Maxx - exhaust wedge plates to manifold and head. Again brilliant. It will plug up to 6mm gap.

ThreeBond 1211 - sump and spacer plate mating faces, thermostat housing to head, inlet manifold to head, BE1/BE3 gearboxes. This is definitely the ducks guts of assembly products.

I do confess to using a hose clamp on the oil filter when using the remote oil filter mount on the gearbox. I use the clamp as a mechanism to attach a tie wire so the filter can't unscrew. It vibrates like buggery down there at 7000+.

Edited by petert