• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

Headlights Not Working

djinuk

just putting my 205 gti back together but having trouble with the front lights.

ive replaced both the earth blocks by them, when you put the lights on both the low beam and main beam light up at the same time on the dash, ive tried swapping relays, if i take a wire from the earth on the battery direct to the bulb it lights, but gets very hot very fast....

could it be the resistor ?

• Like 1

Henry Yorke

I'd do a continuity check on your earth wire as it sounds like it is this which is at fault

djinuk

when you say earth wire which one ?, is there a big earth somewhere that everything runs from.

djinuk

ok earths definatly all good , i found the earth and checked it and was fine, but just to be sure i added another one to no avail...

How exactly do them big resistors work ?, is there a way to bypass them.

smithy

Can you do a temp swap with the cooling fan one to eliminate the resistor?

djinuk

well thats an issue ,... as i know the cooling resistor has issues , just awaiting a decent one :)

Anthony

The resistor is there purely for dim-dip - if the resistor is broken/unplugged, the dim-dip won't work but the headlights themselves on dip/full beam will.

As Henry says, it does sound like an earthing related fault to me from what you've said.

djinuk

thanks for clearing that up anthony, hmm im wondering now if maybe somthing is earther that shouldnt be then.

just to add everything else works, rear lights, side lights, indicators etc.

Edited by djinuk

james_pug

Is it just the dash indicator light that lights up? I had this on mine and I think it was due to under the dash there's a brown plug above the fusebox there meant to be linked not earthed usually it plugs onto the top part of the dash

djinuk

indeed, basically if you put the lights on , low or high beam , bother of them light up on the dash (green and blue)..

With the brown plug i think your onto somthing, i plugged ONE brown plug witha load of green wires into the bit on the dash, i presumed it was an earth but was a little confused as i couldnt work out how it would earth, im wondering now if im somehow missing one of the brown plugs that goes onto the otherside of that block.

dannydub

Im having the same issue. Sidelights work fine but when I put dipped beam on the dipped beam and main beam lights come on the dash but the lights themselves dont work

Sign in to follow this