• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pa402

Battery Keeps Draining

pa402

Ah well I expect i've blown it then. Is there any way of telling (i.e. by trying to measure something simple)? Will try and source another although my main worry at the moment is being able to attach the battery to the car due to the positive terminal not fitting tight!

dch1950

Ah well I expect i've blown it then. Is there any way of telling (i.e. by trying to measure something simple)? Will try and source another although my main worry at the moment is being able to attach the battery to the car due to the positive terminal not fitting tight!

I would try getting one from VWP - they do them with non-soldered/crimped connections. The lead on mine has stretched and it comes loose after a while.

Try just measuring the dc current from a dry-cell battery.

Dave

jackherer

It's probably easiest to just unscrew the cover and check the fuse visually.

A self tapping screw in the gap between the battery clamp and the post has worked for me in the past as a temporary fix for a broken battery clamp.

Rob_the_Sparky

Hi,

I'm also going through this set of checks, and we are mirroring each others actions. I kept blowing the meter fuse when switching ranges on my DMM and so I purchased a 1 ohm,10W resistor and connected that in series on the +ve side of the battery. You then measure across it using the DC volts range which is effectively the current as you have a 1 ohm resistor in the circuit ( V= 1 * current).

Pull your fuses and find the worst circuit i.e the one which cuases the biggest change (decrease) in your readings.

In my case it was fuse #7. Great I thought - problem found. Not so - according to the fuse iequipment list the following are connected through this fuse Boot light,map reading light, interior light Radio,central locking and cigar lighter and clock.

All my 3 light switches are OK.Radio face plate not on, clock OK, So that points to central locking - plug X on the fuseboard. Only there is no plug there. The central locking operates through my Clifford Eagle alarm (with the remote radio key) according to the circuit diagram. The central locking works, although the passenger side motor is a bit sluggish. I'm wondering if this could be the problem, Will pull the passenger door trim and have a look and measure things. I also haven't managed to locate the Clifford box yet.

keep flogging one with i.

regards

Dave

Don't write off a fault with the radio. Easy enough to pull it out and disconnect before ripping the rest of the car apart. I speak from experience: you can spend a long time trying to find a fault if what is wrong is something you didn't check because you assumed it was OK!