• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SweetBadger

Mi16 Standard Throttle Body Nearly Killed My Engine!

SweetBadger

Bit of a disaster yesterday - had a trackday at Bedford and fairly early on in the morning the throttle stuck open. Got the car back to the pits to find the throttle cam was wobbling about :blink: .

After further investigation found that the spindle had snapped where one of the screws that holds the throttle plate in was, and the screw was nowhere to be seen, panic ensued, but luckily the screw had remained in the inlet manifold and not found its way into a cylinder...Phew!

Managed to bodge it back together with a nut and bolt to get me home, but will obviously need to replace it; in the short term with a replacement MI one (see wanted thread!).

I'm sure I've reade on here that this has happened to several MI owners now, and I'm not happy using the MI throttle body if recurrence is a possibility - think I'm going to fit a GTi6 inlet and throttle body.

Have read a few posts on here about this conversion, and what I've picked up so far is:

-Need an eight valve oil filler hose

-Have to remove the locating pins from the head/manifold

-Need to source a new pipe to join the throttle body to the AFM

-Have to blank off the GTi6 Stepper motor ICV hole

-Need to find a way of attaching MI ICV

-Have to relocate MI Coil

-Need to make up an adapter plate for the MI throttle switch (small Aluminium plate with holes drilled in the right place should suffice)

-Need to move dipstick tube over

Have I missed anything obvious on that list?

Also have a few questions:

-Does anybody know the diameter of the Gti6 throttle body, and the MI16 AFM?

-Will the MI throttle cable be ok to use?

-Think I read somewhere that the 6 inlet manifold interferes with the MI top hose, anyone know it this is true?

Thanks , Alex.

Sign in to follow this