• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chipstick

Vht Paint

chipstick

I am going to be sprucing my engine up.

I am not too clued up on painting engine parts, so not sure whether I need high temp stuff or not.

I want to paint my GTi6 cam covers. Will they get hot enough to warrant high temp paint?

Block, I am pretty sure that will need to be don with high temp paint. Halfords do a 250ml tin of black. I guess thats enough?

Inlet manifold. Will do done the same silver as cam covers. Again, doesnt get hot enough to warrant high temp paint does it?

Any brands I should use/avoid would be very useful :)

SurGie

THIS is what i have used and has a high amount of colouring which will last. It wont be very shiny like normal paint is, but goes on very well with no brush marks etc.

Research their site and you will find many other items that may be of use to you, which is high quality.

I really like there caliper paint VHT type, the aluminium is a very nice colour and have used it on many other areas too.

Edited by SurGie

EdCherry

Painted blocks with a bit of normal primer and some paint, cast iron though rather than aluminium.

Ryan

I used red engine enamel - rated to something like 250C, which is more than enough.

SurGie

When it comes to painting alu engine blocks, what i have found perfect to use and will last a long time is 2k car epoxy primer then any 2k paint on top in any colour you choose. Iron blocks are also fine with these types of paints.

2k paint when spraying is dangerous without the use of an air fed mask, it can give you asthma or even kill you. So for this reason, it is best to use a good quality paint brush and brush on both paints. Check the data sheet of both paints via the internet before use, epoxy needs one hour between coats and usually takes 7 days before it fully cures like most 2k paints.

I have done quite a bit of research with regards to paints and powder coating and found the above is one of the best ways of painting alu blocks, etch does not like heat BTW. I found that powdercoating itself is an epoxy substance, the only problem with powder coating is the fact that it is only one layer of paint, where as epoxy primer then 2k paint is two layers. So if any of it got chipped, it will most likely chip the top coat off, not the whole lot down to the metal like powder coating does, causing rust again and wasting time money painting the parts etc.

johnnyboy666

does anybody else get the subtle hint that perhaps, SurGie isnt a great fan of powder coating?

Mind you it must be a ballache powder coating a block?

GilesW

Had my race engine block sparyed with diluted hammerite. Very good hardwearing finish.

ALEX

If the block is stripped, get it Vapour blasted.

It's cheap enough and lasts longer than any coating

chipstick

Holy thread revival.

In the end I used Halfords engine enamel. Went on very easily about a year ago now and has lasted really well. For the cam covers I used Halfords own VHT silver paint and again - was ideal.

I was going to use the same VHT aerosol on the inlet manifold, but got it powerdercoated in the end for durability.

chipstick

Any excuse..

IMG_8849.jpg

S4010806.jpg

b35f8407.jpg

• Like 1

SurGie

Very nice.

I love powder coating, although only for non chassis parts, imo and ime a waste of time and money for the long run.

Sign in to follow this