• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Artemide

Xsara Vts Turbo Conversion

Artemide

Hi,

Since Citroen is practically Peugeot and the engine I'm installing is from a 406, I hope this thread fits in this forum. Why write to this particular forum? Because the guys here are the smartest and I know no other car related forum with such competence, knowledge and amiability. :)

I've got a 98 Citroen Xsara VTS, which got a 2.0 liter 16v engine. It has 167 HP and is not at all a bad car to drive with. But mine has definitely done 150 000 miles or more, has had it's engine swapped a few times and the bodywork is a bit jalopy like.

Now I've decided to build up the car and update it into a great car to drive, look and show off with.

The engine currently on the car has lost it's power, smokes a lot and drinks oil like milk with breakfast. I found and bought a ''working'' engine with gearbox, wiring and ECU, shifting system, radiators and everything needed to get it runnin' in my car from a 406 turbo for less than 200£.

However, before I can start posting pics and move forward with my project, I need some help. The new and old engine are side by side on the floor and I started to piece out the engines to find and take all the needed parts from the 16v engine and install them on the new 8v turbo.

Here are some pictures and questions:

My xsara has aircon and I took the conditioning pump from my 16v engine and installed it on the 8v, however, there isn't a plug that would match perfectly.

This is where the wires come: image_2.jpeg

image__2_.jpeg

This is the plug from the cond. pump: image_9.jpeg

These are the two plugs left and one of them hopefully should connect to the pump, but which one? and what is the other one for?: image_10.jpeg

I know a silly question but where does the pipe connect what is above the oil filter and next to the other water hose: image_2.jpeg

The last owner had broked one of the sensors and he thought I can take it from my 16v, but what sensor is it? Will the one on my 16v fit?( I also took the throttle position sensor which fitted fine): image_3__2_.jpeg

image_5__2_.jpeg

image_4__2_.jpeg

Where does the open hose pointing towards the camera connect to?: image_3__2_.jpeg

Artemide

The thingy in the exhaust manifold is broken(wastegate?). What is it called and can such thing be replaced and if not what to do?: image_4.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

Where does the open hose connect do and what is it?: image_6.jpeg

Where do the two left open pipes connect to on the black air system?: image_7.jpeg

Is the valve-alike thingy positioned correctly?(that should connect between the black air part and the metal air part): image_8.jpeg

Just some pictures of the engine(if something is misplaced of smth then please, let me know): image_6__2_.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

That should be it for now. The car is in full progress(since that's my only normal car to drive with I have to get it running quick).

Thanks for your help :)

More updates soon.

Artemide

What seems to be the problem? no replies :(

Tom Fenton

My honest opinion is I think the 2.0 T engine is a backwards step from the original Xsara VTS engine. I looked at the thread with excitement as I thought you were turbo charging the VTS engine- that would make for a real monster/sleeper in my eyes.

Anyway I hope you will be pleased with it when you have finished.

Daviewonder

What seems to be the problem? no replies :(

To be honest I think the amount of pictures and questions is a bit overwhelming. I think you would have done much better if you posted one picture and question at a time.

Artemide

To be honest I think the amount of pictures and questions is a bit overwhelming. I think you would have done much better if you posted one picture and question at a time.

No one has to answer all the questions at once :D. One by one.

And the 2.0 turbo is a great engine for tuning, to reach 200psi only with chipping is no problem, and from there on it's also easy. That's why I chose that engine.

If I could get some answers than I could go on and start restaurating the engine, From there on things are going to speed up. The body itself is cleared out all ready.

Daviewonder

Where does the open hose pointing towards the camera connect to?: image_3__2_.jpeg

Goes to the purge canister ;)

Artemide

Goes to the purge canister ;)

Can't exactly understand :(

marksorrento205

I looked at the thread with excitement as I thought you were turbo charging the VTS engine- that would make for a real monster/sleeper in my eyes.

Likewise :) Good luck though mate

Daviewonder

Can't exactly understand :(

There should be a pipe around the right hand front inner wing area that it connects to.

rallyeash

combine them both and have a 16v turbo...

Artemide

combine them both and have a 16v turbo...

The engines are too different. For starters inlet and exhaust manifolds, which are the most expensive details on such engines

Artemide

Can anyone suggest an another forum where people could help me?

wicked

I think the questions you ask are not on level with the conversion you are trying to do...

You need to do some research on how the engine works, how the ecu/loom are wired up etc.

Questions like if you really need the wastegate valve don't give the impression that you have any clue how turbo engines work and that this topic will be an endless story, without succes....