• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
thomasrally

Honda 1.6 Vtec Into 205

thomasrally

Hi all

A mate of mine is in the process of building a new 205 and we're looking into the option of fitting the Honda 1600 vtec into it, can anyone give us a rough idea of what's involved fitting one?

BERTMAN

theres a couple of threads where VTEC's have been fitted into 205/309's, 'Tora Tora 309' i think one is called, it wasnt a 1600 however but should be similar?. Check the 'Car Projects' section

spikster

Mine has a Integra DC5 engine in it, it used to belong to RavyDavy on here.

You will need new engine mounts, new driveshafts and splice the loom from the Honda into the 205, or use something like a DTAFAST S60 pro ECU. You wil also need a custom exhaust.

Watsons Rally did the conversion on mine, not sure if the 1600vtec has a cable or shaft shift, but mine has a cable shift.

If it was me, and your going to all the trouble of putting a VTEC in, why put a K20 in? Unless there is a size limit due to motorsport use.

thomasrally

Thanks for the info, yes it's to stay within the 1600cc limit of his class (rallying) - what's the lowdown on the gearstick/linkages etc - how does that all work?

spikster

If the gear change is cable, you will need the gear linkage from the Honda, you will need everything like the cables, gear lever etc then you simply bolt the gear change mechanism to the tunnel and route the cables, if it's a linkage then it will be difficult

thomasrally

How about the gearbox itself, are they close ratio?

I read searching through the forums that they have an LSD fitted as standard?

spikster

I don't know about the 1600 but mine is a close ratio six speed box with LSD

I can also lock reverse out as the gear movements are very close and you don't want to be selecting reverse instead of sixth. I don't know if all hondas are the same.

GLPoomobile

I don't know about the 1600 but mine is a close ratio six speed box with LSD.......I don't know if all hondas are the same.

Your's is the K20A, same as the current and previous generation Civics, hence the 6 speed box. And it has an LSD because the Integra DC5 was JDM, whereas I'm fairly certain the UKDM Civic didn't come with an LSD. None of that is relevant though if the OP is limited to 1600cc and thinking of using the older B16 engines (some of which had LSDs depending on the year, model and market it came from, but none were 6 speed).

I'd love a K20A in mine B)