• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ted

Gti Clocks In A Non Gti

Guest Ted

I have got hold of a full gti dash & clocks complete with the original wiring loom

is it as simple as pulling out the old one, fitting the original gti loom into the fuse box and and screwing in the dash etc

i have had a look at the fuse box and it seems to me i would have to some how pull it out so i could get a better look at which clips to replace etc, any ideas?

anyone any suggestions/tips/links/comments etc would be a great help

cheers

PS great forums :(

jacobs53

what model is the car? if its a xs or gt they are a straight swap but as for the other base models without the rev counter there not.

Some people have done it here, so stick around and they should help you out!

you got the right parts by the way!

lee

Guest Ted

its just a base model with out the rev counter

so the clock end clips are different

Guest Hallsy

You need to replace the complete loom with the GTI one back to the fuseboard. You will also need the GTI dash cowling as it si a different shape.

If you find that when you have connected up GTI llom the rev counter doesn't work then you need to run a wire 112 from the coil to 112 on the loom. As far as i'm aware it should be on the multiplugs at the fuse baord (was for me) but i think someone else on here couldn't find it there so took it direct from the coil.

As i said, just pull out old loom and replace with GTI one. Should then be fine.

Sam

Is it easy to do that hallsy? I got a set of white dials and the cowling the lot, (probly just rip half the dash out anyway)

Guest Hallsy

Well, in theory, YES it's easy. The dash needs to be totally removed, which isn't too difficult. The loom then needs to be unclipped and unplugged at fuse box end, then pulled out. Route the GTI loom the same as the old one (can be awkward!!) and plug into fuse box and multiplugs on inside of passenger footwell (next to fuseboard) then plug dials in the other end. Some of teh earthing points, etc are diffciult to get to as you can't see them but OK, just fiddly. If you don't have a glove box light you will have a redundant switch.

Then the dash needs to go back togther which is a bit harder tan removing it.

Only prob i had is that since poutting it all back togtehr i have a shirt so my instrument lights don't work (keeps blowing fuse). i obviously trapped a wire, but i can't be arsed to pull all the dash out again!! Prob should get round to it before winter!!

Need any more info mate, you can catch me on MSN sometime.

Guest Ted

was it hard to get at the correct clips in the fuse box? My box is a mess - i'd need to take everything out just so i can see what i'm doing..... this may sound like a dumb question but is the box easy to put back together. :)

Also is there anyway i can take the fuse box out of the glove compartment so i can get a better look at it?

Guest Hallsy

To get to the fuse board better you will need to drop the door off of the glovebox. Then if u remove the securing bar across the fuseboard you can pop it out, but it won't pull out far. It's easy to unclip and plug in your new loom, all the connectors are shaped different so you can't get them mixed up. Putting the fuseboard back neatly is the hard part!!

Guest Ted

i managed to do it all today :). The only things i couldn't wire up were the chock and the ciggy lighter and i couldn't find where to put an earthing wire.

Also the indicators don't show up on the dash, it may just be the blub as half the dash is in darkness, or could it be some thing else?

cheers

Ted

Edited by Ted

Guest Hallsy

Try the bulbs first.

As for earthing points, if u find an earthing multiplug that has spare ways in it then you can just run your earths to these, after all they are a just a common point.

Guest Ted

aye twas the bulbs :)

if anyone else is thinking fo doing it my tip would be to un-plug it all from the dash end and follow the wires back to the clips in the fuse box .

cheers for the help Hallsy

T.

Sign in to follow this