• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
feb

Bung For Wideband?

feb

Although it's not a pug the principle is the same.

I am looking to fit a wideband 02 sensor in my downpipe and having a look at the downpipe yesterday I was pleasantly surprised to find this

IMG_7956.jpg

IMG_7957.jpg

Is this a bung for a wideband 02 sensor and if so isn't it too close to the turbo to be a problem?

The downpipe is a Miltek one and the bung looks to be fitted from them originally so I suppose they wouldn't put it in that location if that was going to cause a problem with the sensor.

Cheers :)

sport1901966

I've done a fair bit of research into positioning of wideband sensors and it becomes quite complicated depending on the sensor/controller/no of cyls feeding the exhaust/ignition advance/forced induction etc. The most important thing is that it won't get too hot, anything over 800 to 850degC and the sensor will loose accuracy. However too cold and the demand on the heating circuitry goes outside the desirable range. Most wideband sensors accuracy, with the exception of the £400 motorsport spec items, are very sensitive to temperature hence it is important they stay within the ideal range. Examples are the Bosch LSU 4.X sensors and NTK L2H2.

The only way to be sure is to hook up some thermocouples to the system and log the temperatures. I did find some general guidelines however, they suggested that the distance from the nearest exhaust valve (or turbine outlet into turbo applications) is 1m on a 4 cyl engine.

That boss position looks intended for a narrowband sensor, these are much less sensitive to temperature.

Edited by sport1901966