• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

Adapting 405 Wishbones To The 205 Subframe?

Henry Yorke

309PUG (Chris) on here ran 405 wishbones on his 309 to give him front neg camber. He was also able to use the 405 driveshafts too IIRC

Liquid_106

Any progress on this?:huh:

B1ack_Mi16

Not much.

I've got some steel bar to make some balljoint extenders.

And found out that the 307 balljoint will fit the hole in the 406 arm in addition to fit in the phase 1 405 carriers (which I already have in my basement).

So I think I will try to use a 307 balljoint for it.

Still wanting to just splice the 205 and 406 arms togeather by just welding onto the end of the 406 wishbone onto the 205 one, but not really started to cut anything yet.

welshpug

thats interesting, never knew that about the 307 Balljoint, the thread is smaller than the 406 (whish is the same as late 405's) but has the same larger pin?

B1ack_Mi16

Yeah, threads are M38x1.5 on the 307 balljoint, and it fits the hole in 406 arm.

Threads in 406 ones are M40x1.5 afaik.

B1ack_Mi16

Bought some 2" bolt of 4140 steel which has yield limit of about 580 MPa.

So will try to make some balljoint spacers from that, but I really need to get some more proper tooling for the lathe, as I just have access to some cheap and rather small tooling at the moment.

IMAG0469.jpg

IMAG0472.jpg

Need some proper length on the tooling to be able to remove the material on the inside.

Bought a threading tap in M38x1.5, rather big :)

IMAG0477.jpg

But also need to make the external threads on the other side, does anyone have a link to some online shop selling tools for the lathe?

Liquid_106

***thread resurrection*** :ph34r:

Any progress on this?

B1ack_Mi16

Hi

Sorry, not really. I'm focusing 99% of my time on the 405 T16 rebuild, so after I bought some new standard wishbones for the 205 this wasn't top proirity anymore. <_<

I will need to get someone else to do the machining for me (the spacers) as I don't have the proper tooling to get it done propery, steel was very hard.

The spacers ain't necessary though, so basicly I need to modify the old wishbones so they can take the 307 balljoint, so welding in a bung and making that tapered hole in it should do it.

Then the spacers can come later .. but as said, bodywork on T16 and buying expensive 4x4 parts for it is blocking my funding for 205 :(

rallyeash

anything happen here?

B1ack_Mi16

No sorry. I found out I didn't have time following up it so temporary bought a pair of new 309 wishbones.

I'm having too much work going on with the T16 and the house so focus haven't been on the 205 :(

Also I'm a bit afraid of my welding skills when it comes to modifying subframe etc. so sadly on hold.

I wish one day though... :)

rallyeash

Ok, so what you got to sell then...

I quite like the idea of screw in balljoints and trying to bring the ball joint height diwn

welshpug

Just save up and take it to Colin :P

rallyeash

no!

Well I'd love to but I cant justify the monies, trying to save for a house!

welshpug

Don't think it's that expensive tbh, sod houses, more of a moneypit than cars :D

rallyeash

Think it's £1500 or so tbh.

Well they all depends what you buy!

B1ack_Mi16

Ok, so what you got to sell then...

I quite like the idea of screw in balljoints and trying to bring the ball joint height diwn

Not really got anything to sell, shipping it over to UK would anyway be more expensive than you just buying it over there in the first place.

I found out my tooling I've got for the lathe wasn't strong enough either to machine that steel rod I got for making the balljoint spacer, so it all stopped a bit naturally :)