• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
james306

Which Cambelt?

james306

Well payday is here so it's time to buy the new cambelt kit! I have been looking on GSF at the kits and found that their are two different kits available for what I believe is my engine. I have the 1.9 8v, from what I have been told it's the non-cat 128bhp version, there isn't a CAT on there but that's not to say it's that engine!

Is there any way of telling which belt it is I need without ripping into the belt covers etc to look for numbers/count teeth?

One of the belts is 113 tooth and the other 114 tooth.

Help greatfully recieved as I need to get this done

Anthony

It will almost certainly be 113 tooth belt - the 114 teeth belt only seem to be on very late CAT equipped engines.

Easiest way to confirm is that the 113 tooth belt uses a spring-loaded tensioner, and the 114 tooth belt a escentric tensioner like Mi16's etc. Without removing the belt covers you can feel around the back of the engine block and find the 16mm nut and square drive used to release the tensioner on the spring loaded models.

However, I'd be confident enough to just buy a 113 tooth belt if it's a non-CAT engine.

james306

Thanks again Anthony! I shall go and check shortly to see what I can feel, I imagine it will be the earlier belt and tensioner as she is a '92 model and I believe the CAT equipped engines started rolling out in '93?

welshpug

there had been cat cars from earlier than that, but not particularly common.

james306

Where's the best place to get a gates kit online? I can only find them for everything but non gti models so far.

Sign in to follow this