• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lucas_lfc

Right basically my car is burning oil, i believe it to be the stem seals AND oil rings due to blue smoke when idling and under load. So if i get this fixed which im considering (as car has 122,000 miles), is there anything that i could do which would be worthwile when im getting this done as head will need removed im guessing?

Water pump and timing belt have already been changed within the last 10,000 miles also. Am tempted that if nothing is worthwile to be carried, just to drive it on and keep topping up the oil.

Have seen twin 40's for sale, would these be better to use on the 1.6 engine, or can 45's be run? also should i maybe think of getting a cam and maybe head skimmed, ported etc??

any help or ideas appreciated

cheers

Edited by lucas_lfc

Anthony

A pair of twin 40's work very nicely on a 1.6, making 130hp on mine in conjunction with a mildish cam.

Indeed, I'll likely be removing the carb setup off mine in the near future and they'll be for sale if you're interested - already jetted for a 1.6 and with everything needed to just bolt on and go.

joris_andriesse

If it needs that kind of work, why not going for an 1.9? If you do some head work on that one, fast road cam and 40's (maybe even 45's), your looking at 140/150 bhp and a lot more torque.

lucas_lfc

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=115118

40's will be fine, may aswel drop a fast road or so cam in there at the same time to make a little more out of it, head should be skimmed if it's coming off anyway IMO.

sorry tried to change the title but didnt know how to :S

does skimming the head increase the compression, and if so what would be best to get it skimmed to? I saw a set of 40's so think i may get a set, what type of cam would be good to go forr?

A pair of twin 40's work very nicely on a 1.6, making 130hp on mine in conjunction with a mildish cam.

Indeed, I'll likely be removing the carb setup off mine in the near future and they'll be for sale if you're interested - already jetted for a 1.6 and with everything needed to just bolt on and go.

was it rolling roaded with that figure? just interested in figures,i would like it to be that, maybe a bit more. have you any other work done?

If it needs that kind of work, why not going for an 1.9? If you do some head work on that one, fast road cam and 40's (maybe even 45's), your looking at 140/150 bhp and a lot more torque.

Because i dont want to go to the hassle of swapping engines etc, and i could get a dung 1.9, at least i know what ive got already. Got my 1.6 rolling roaded last year, when i still had the problem and it made 115.8bhp, so ive a good enough engine atm i think, just want a bit more oomph. 140 would be good to see, what cam would be recommended?

Edited by lucas_lfc

Anthony

was it rolling roaded with that figure? just interested in figures,i would like it to be that, maybe a bit more. have you any other work done?

Yes that's what it was rolling roaded at when the previous owner had the work done.

It's a standard 1.6 GTi engine, pair of twin 40 carbs, Piper 285 cam (which is almost certainly timed up wrong as it's on a standard pulley) and Magnex exhaust.

Subjectively feels noticeably quicker than a standard 1.6 GTi, and feels especially strong and punchy mid-range where a 1.6 is normally flat.

I'm going to be putting a fettled 1.9 8v engine in the car soon that's been sat in the garage for a while now, and whilst it's tempting to put the carbs on that and re-jet them to suit, I've decided to leave the engine running injection and sell off the carbs to fund other work on the car. I will miss the glorious induction soundtrack though :(

joris_andriesse

You can also fit an 2.0 8v head, which will give you bigger valves.

I once build a track car (205) with 1.9 block (you can use the 1.6 one), 2.0 head (skimmed 1.2 mm off), lightened flywheel, pair of 40's and a fast road cam. Never did a power run, but it was seriously fast (for a 1.9, that is).

Only thing you need to do for that setup is a little work on the head and inlet manifold. Port shape need to be matched.

Anthony

Yes, that setup works too - my '89 GTi has a 1.9 bottom end, fettled 2.0 head and mild PT36 cam, and has surprised most people with how quick it is.

joris_andriesse

And that sound :D

monkee87

What engine does the 2.0 head come off?? And can you run it on standard GTi injection?

Seems like an interesting mod. :)

Anthony

What engine does the 2.0 head come off?? And can you run it on standard GTi injection?

Seems like an interesting mod. :)

XU10J2 (2.0 8v) engines, and yes, can be run on standard management just fine (as I do). Do a search and you'll find plenty about it :)

lucas_lfc

cheers for all the ideas :)

tempted though atm, to just get head sorted as in new stem seals and oil rings, get the head skimmed, and a better cam for now, as holiday is coming up soon.

then eventually a set of 40's/45's, maybe a four branch but unsure on that yet. 40's or 45's which would be better suited?

anyone also know what i should up the compression to? 9.8:1 as standard iirc

Edited by lucas_lfc

joris_andriesse

40's Is more than enough for a 1.6. I had mine running with a compression of 10,5:1

Sign in to follow this