• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joris_andriesse

Gti6 (Xu10J4Rs) Inlet Manifold On Xu9J4 (1.9 Mi16)

joris_andriesse

I found some topics of people which mounted an Gti6 (xu10j4rs) inlet manifold on a xu9j4 (1.9 MI16), but I can't find what results this will give. Is there someone who actually measured the results of this improvement? I'm actually extra interested in which result this will give on the torque curve.

This question because I want to go for more power which includes some nice cams, but also want to keep the car drivable for road use. Since you will lose bottom power with faster cams I hope to win some back with using bigger valves, compression increase and maybe the gti6 inlet. Wondering what your guy's thoughts are about all this.

Also still looking for the gti6 inlet manifold, so if you have one spare...... :)

rallyeash

wouldnt waste you money on bigger valves, i believe the RS manifold should see abit more torque in the mid range, how much you actually gain i don't know as ive never seen back to back rolling road tests

camgti

+ 1

petert

The GTi6 manifold must be better everywhere as it has bellmouths cast onto the ends of the runners, whereas the Mi16 runners end abruptly. Increasing the CR will fix up the torque. Aim for 11:1 and you'll have a mucg sweeter engine. Forget the big valves. Just make sure the head is reco'd professionally and valve springs shimmed correctly.

feb

Simes uses this seup AFAIK and his car made around 180-185bhp or so with other supporting modifications IIRC.

Edited by feb

hcmini1989

Simes uses this seup AFAIK and his car made around 180-185bhp or so with other supporting modifications IIRC.

Mine is a standard mi (1905) running on diffrent managment and using a gti6 manifold and throttle body.And it made 140bhp atw .I think you add 25% to that to get a rough flywheel figure .And that was at 6k it couldnt go all the way up as my alternator was on the blink so it was messing with the fueling so there could be a little bit more to be had out of it.So I guess there is a definate improvement.

Alan_M

I'm running one on 1.9 Mi16 management. The main reason was to get a throttle body that works!

Bit of a faff with blanking & adaptor plates, and the breather/filler pipes. It runs well, if a little stinky of petrol, returns 30mpg (1.6 box) so can't be too bad. Really needs aftermarket ECU but just happy it now idles properly :)

Sounds quite nice too ;)

hcmini1989

I'm running one on 1.9 Mi16 management. The main reason was to get a throttle body that works!

Bit of a faff with blanking & adaptor plates, and the breather/filler pipes. It runs well, if a little stinky of petrol, returns 30mpg (1.6 box) so can't be too bad. Really needs aftermarket ECU but just happy it now idles properly :)

Sounds quite nice too ;)

I had to change to a gti6 manifold for the tps because the standard mi16 one is a switch rather than a potentiometer.

joris_andriesse

So the bigger valves aren't worth the money? Why is that if I may ask?

My previous engine was an 1.9 8v on which I fitted an 2.0 head and a Alfa throttle i definitely could feel the difference it gave. It became a magnificent block to drive with power from the beginning till the end.

joris_andriesse

Ohh, and Petert, you just got an personal message. ;)

rallyeash

on a highly strung engine when your trying for every bhp you can get then its worth changing the valves to bigger items. theres loads of power to be made before the need of different valves. im running standard valves, and a near enough standard head apart from a pair of catcams and seeing 230bhp. although thats on a XU10 engine

joris_andriesse

230? Than for sure that your CC cams aren't stage one :D

So for now the bigger valves won't happen, it will be an 3 angle seat cut instead.

joris_andriesse

Ohh and yesterday I also got an offer, which I couldn't resist, for an flowed MI head, with an PT stage one camshaft in it. That one is in the pocket also :D

rallyeash

there cat cams 109's. im running 88mm steel crank, 87 mm pistons, jenvey 50's, standard head with a bit of fettling, maniflow manifold, dta etc so yep running around the 230 mark

joris_andriesse

And it is fitted, only not running yet.

At the end it became a total rebuild of the engine, with the following upgrades. Inlets flowed, 3 angle seat cut, PT stage 1 inlet cam, gti6 inlet manifold, turned and balanced flywheel (-1,5kg), turned and balanced crankshaft (-3kg), turned and balanced rods and pistons, 2.0T fuel injectors, chipped ecu (will be SA management in the short future), sump with spacer (aprox 7L of oil) and a gti6 oil pump.

To monitor it's a wideband lambda with afr meter and a EGT sensor have been placed.

Can't wait to get it started (just a few weeks more). :D

Somehow I can't get links to photo's copied into this post to show you the results :(

joris_andriesse

And it's allive!!!

Still needs a lot of fine tuning, but is was so good to hear it running :)

joris_andriesse
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this