• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madspikes

1 Year Off The Road.. Mot Tomorrow!

madspikes

The pug is going for its first MOT in 2 years tomorrow (been off the road for a year)! Its a worrying time... My biggest concern is the emissions, I think i've got it sorted but only time will time. The car idles around 800rpm and a mixture of around 14.4:1 to 15.0:1 which should do I hope.

However I bet she fails on something else... Something simple i;ve overlooked!

Place your bets... and wish me luck!

Mad.

steve@cornwall

The pug is going for its first MOT in 2 years tomorrow (been off the road for a year)! Its a worrying time... My biggest concern is the emissions, I think i've got it sorted but only time will time. The car idles around 800rpm and a mixture of around 14.4:1 to 15.0:1 which should do I hope.

However I bet she fails on something else... Something simple i;ve overlooked!

Place your bets... and wish me luck!

Mad.

1.9? parking brake efficiency

adie205

1.9? parking brake efficiency

Second that, good luck mate.

Holly water?

ORB

Excessive play in wishbone bushes/ball joint

Daviewonder

Rear brakes not increasing at same rate?

S@m

Heres the one that has caught me out in the past;

"Passenger washer fluid insufficient"

And check those wiper blades aren't perished either!

Always the simple things like that which catch me!

Sam

madspikes

The answers is FAIL!!!!

Fail 1. New CV boot has small holes... apparently like an animal has clawed at it... That will be the bloody cat with my boot up its ass!

Fail 2. Front brakes out of blance by 60% - work fine on own.

Emissions easy pass! CO limit 3.5 - mine 0.4, HC limit 1200 - mine 247 :rolleyes:

So just got to find some time to look at the brakes!

Would the rear compensator or whatever they are on a 1.9 effect front brake balance? MOT tester said that on their own the brakes were fine, just one side need alot more peddle.

Mad.

Edited by madspikes

welshpug

i'd hazzard a guess that the cv boot is on the same side as the weak brake, so a set of pads and degrease the discs may be in order.

Tom Fenton

I have to say that was my first thought reading the failure post as well. Certainly worth a good look. If the CV boot isn't bad superglue can work wonders on very small holes or cuts :ph34r:

ORB

Yup, what my advice would be is to jack up the front end, remove the wheels, spray all the running gear with brake cleaner then pressure wash the crap away from it. let it dry, and repair the hole in the boot as per Tom's advice. Clean it well mind.

Phil H

2 yrs, pfft...dreading taking mine for an MOT as not had one since mid 2002 !

madspikes

2 yrs, pfft...dreading taking mine for an MOT as not had one since mid 2002 !

As the car has only been about 2 miles and the hole arent very big there hasnt been much if any CV boot grease chucked around. The brake preformance is the same on each side, its just the balance thats off!

The plan is to re-bleed the system, then pull off the caliper and work the piston in and out a number of times, copper slip the sliders and put everything back.

But thats tomorrow evening!

Mad.

welshpug

that doesn't make sense, if the performance each side is the same, then they are in balance!

Tom Fenton

^What he said.

madspikes

Right, this seems to be the situation. Both front brakes reach more or less the same braking force in the end, but one reaches that force much sooner than the other. The tester said something along the lines to reach maximum braking one side required alot more force on the pedal than the other... He said seemed like it needed a really good bleeding or was very stiff.

Mad.

Tom Fenton

Or there is grease on the disc so you have to push EXTRA hard to get the same braking effect?

Your plan to strip/check/work/grease sounds like a good start though.

madspikes

I think I found the brake problem... The sliders for the passenger caliper were solid! Took half an hour to get them out! They cleaned up nicely, and with a bit of copper slip.. jobs a good'em I think!

As for the CV boot fail, this is more confusing! Its says near-side outer - split. It was described to me as lots of little scratches / holes. So thats passenger side outer... Ok that boot is new, and I cant see any marks or splits in it... however the passenger side inner has lots cracks in the rubber, and it looks like to could split in a number of different places at any time. Then the drivers side outer had a small screwdriver like hole (very miss-able) - which has now been super glued! So going to replace the passenger side inner while I'm playing around, glue up the drivers side outer.

Fun and games.

Mad.

Edited by madspikes

madspikes

The man he say yes! I have an MOT'd 205!

"A ring ding ding ding d-ding baa aramba baa baa barooumba"

woop woop!

Really need to fix the off idle settings, as its so so s*it at the moment!

Going to wait till next month to tax it - Then let there be forced air!

Mad. :rolleyes:

TT205

Excellent news mate

How are you going to make yourself wait a month knowing that she's ship shape? :lol:

Tom Fenton

Only 4 days till June though, I'd be waiting in your boots too!