• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

2.0 Turbo Engine Dies When Revved

Daviewonder

Hello all

Started up the engine on my 2.0 turbo project for the first time in over a year today but all was not well. It didn't want to start and in the end I gave it a little squirt of 'easy start' to get it going. It idles ok but as soon as I try to rev it up the engine dies straight away and I have to back off of the throttle to keep it going. If I increase the revs very gently they rise but the engine misfires a bit. This is the first time that I've run it with everything connected up as I've only had it idling without the boost pipework connected up previously. It has had new plugs fitted so I guess I can rule them out. Any ideas would be gratefully recieved.

thanks, Dave.

P.s I fitted a new timing belt but I'm certain it was all lined up correctly.

luke1987

Hi dave followed your conversion pic by pic and did ours the same way had a bit of trouble and changed the maf and cleaned out the idle control valve and all seems fine let me know how yours is Luke.

Edited by luke1987

luke1987

ps sounds like maf unplug it and try revving it then if its ok ill send you 1 for free but dont drive it lol

Paul_13

Check alternator voltage?

welshpug

they dont have MAF's, check the MAP sensor pipe, and the TPS wiring+sensor.

Daviewonder

Thanks for the replys Guys. I shall give your ideas a go tomorrow. :)

Luke do you mean the MAP sensor?

stu8v

I've had the same symptoms on a different turbo car, it was the MAP sensor pipe adrift

Daviewonder

Still no closer to getting it running properly.

I've cleaned out the idle air valve, checked the map sensor piping, checked alternator and charged battery, changed the fuel pump and checked the TPS wiring and sensor (0.4 volts closed, 4.5 volts open). Still the same :wacko:

Help :(

M@tt

try removing your boost hoses and seeing if the problem still exists

if it doesn't you may have some of the vacuum pipes connected up wrong

jonnyturbo

mine was doing something similar to this so i changed the crank sensor, leads and plugs and it was fine

luke1987

hi dave i know i said maf sensor what a fool lol no such sensor but what i found out tonight the air inlet temp has a lot to do with it not revving had that problem again tonight changed it and fine no probs luke.

kyepan

so what did you hcange to fix this?

Daviewonder

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'm finally getting somewhere with this.

Today I've noticed the fuel pump isn't always priming when the ignition is turned on, even with the fuel pipe disconnected. I plan on having a chek over of the wiring of the relay and the crank sensor. I did a repair on the crank sensor wire and I had trouble joining the earth shield wire so I'm wondering if it might have something to do with it?

Any ideas welcome :)

Daviewonder

Still not getting anywhere with this.

I changed the damaged crank sensor wire but still the same issues. I disconnected the boost piping but still the same. I checked the plug gaps, fuel, valve clearences, cam timing, doule relay wiring, injector order but still the same. It now starts ok but it just wont rev!! I really don't know what to try next.

Luke how did you check the inlet temp sensor?

Heres how my vacuum pipes are connected, I'm pretty sure they're right-

davesinlet.jpg

davesboostsolenoid.jpg

Please help :(

jonnyturbo

this is similar to what mine was doing at one point, give it half thottle straight away with my hand and it bogged and backfired which sounded like it was comming from the inlet. i changed the following before i got mine working:

coolant temp sensor x3, idle control x3, ignition module, leads, crank sensor , plugs x3, coilpack, whole different t/b / inlet manifold.

only thing that made a difference to mine was the last 3 things i changed/did which was put my old crank sensor back on, changed the plugs for my 3rd set and wrapped the leads in electrical tape.

mine now runs fine bar the turbo is smoking evan though its had stag seals in it :rolleyes:

what are your plugs like after you have had it running?

your vac pipes are same as mine. not sure about the solenoid but i could check mine in the morning

Edited by jonnyturbo

M@tt

Dave have you got access to autodata?

Could be worth trying to access the Error Codes from the ECU to see if anything is being kicked out

you can do it with a test probe and a switch

if you've not got the info let me know and i'll get it for you

Daviewonder

Hi Matt

No I don't have autodata I'm affraid. I had a look into rigging up an led to flash out fault codes but couldn't find a list of codes. Yeah any info would be great cheers mate :)

Daviewonder

I'm unable to view them mate, any idea why?

Daviewonder

Thanks for that Matt, you're a star.

I've not had a chance to check for codes yet due to not making up a test light but I connected the battery yesterday and started the car as I was trying to get the rev counter working. The car is now running fine, it's revving and boosting as it should. The only thing I can think of is that the crank sensor wire that I replaced was the issue and that disconnecting the battery for the couple of weeks that I didn't work on the car has reset the codes?

Anyone know if this is the case with these ecu's?

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by Daviewonder

jonnyturbo

maybe somethings had time to dry it self out?

Daviewonder

maybe somethings had time to dry it self out?

Perhaps, but the cars sitting on the drive with the bonnet shut so nothing should get wet?

Razkin

The ECU looses its trouble codes after a short period of time without power. 15sec is in my experience more than enough to reset it.

I had the same issue when my car hadn't run for about 3/4 year. Started ok, wouldn't rev and raising the revs slight resulted in misfires. In my case the fuel pump was the cause of it all.

Daviewonder

Mine seems to be ok still (touch wood). Would the fact that the ecu had faults stored on it have caused it to run rough even though I'd replaced the item causing the issue?

Sign in to follow this