• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

1600 Be3 To Gti-6

Stu

Evening all,

Im moving over to a '6 gearbox from a BE3, am i right in saying i need to do the following:

-Swap the clutch arm and thrust fork from the BE3 to the '6

-Use my Mi flywheel, clutch and thrust

-Selector fork: do i need to swap this? if i do, can i retain my be3 gear lever assembly? or is it best to convert to BE1? Do i keep the '6 selector in this instance?

-Diff: I know the '6 diff requires the inner pod from a '6 or whatever, if i drop my 205 diff in does it work with my shafts?

I have done a search, just need some clarification ;)

Cheers guys!

24seven

I'm no expert on putting a BE3/6 (6 speed box) in a 205, as I've never done it. But you don't need to swap the clutch lever assembly if it's the pull type clutch arm (not the fork) rather than the push type as found on a VTS box. You will need the flat selector arm from the back of your 1.6 BE3 box to the BE3/6, the rest of the gear linkages don't need changing. As for the diff there seems to be some confusing info as to which shafts fit which one, I'm sure someone else will be along to clear that up.

SweetBadger

I've fitted a 6 box into mine recently, the gear selector arm and clutch arm had already been swapped when I got the box, but the diff was the Gti6 one.

You definately need to swap the gear selector arm, and I think if you want to use the standard 205/Mi clutch & cable then swap the clutch arm/fork for the one off your 1.6 box

You will need a BE1 gearstick and lift up reverse cable as it's bloody difficult to find 5th & 6th without it. (often end up in fourth instead of 6th - not good!)

The Gti6 diff prevents the standard 205 near side driveshaft from going into the box far enough, so you'll struggle to get the driveshaft seal to work properly... To get around this it's an easy job to take the diff housing off the box, take out the diff and swap the crown wheel across from the 6 diff to your 1.6 diff then use the 1.6 diff. Alternatively I think you can use an inner half of a Gti6 driveshaft with the 205 shaft, which has a shorter splined section that goes into the box.

You'll also need to limit your right hand lock as the tyre will rub on the gearbox with the standard lock limit. Some people have suggested using a jubliee clip on the off side rack arm to prevent it moving all the way back into the rack body, this doesn't work in my experience and all you end up with is a broken/bent jubliee clip and in my case chunks of the steering rack casting breaking off the end of the rack... :rolleyes:

I found that a round metal tube of a suitable diameter about 1.25 inches long with a slot cut out of it (I used an old box spanner), slotted over the rack to effectively extend the rack stop does the job.

See crappy diagram below (paintbrush rocks!):

post-6007-0-42917800-1303843998_thumb.gif

I find the 6 box great fun with the MI, really keeps the engine on the boil - it's noticeably quicker now and easier to keep in the power band.

Sign in to follow this