• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
burr_2000

Vin Stamp

burr_2000

Hey folks, my VIN beside the scuttle panel is looking a bit worse for wear and number is disapearing. i noticed it does not look like a stamp more of a scribe or etching (god knows how they did it in factory). has anyone attempted to restamp or redraw and made it look decent?

cheers,neil

S@m

In my humble opinion any attempt to mess with the VIN plate would end up with the car looking like a ringer. If i saw one that looked fresh and new (even if it was perfect) i would be suspicious. So, i'd leave it as it is.

Sam

burr_2000

i know what your saying sam but its not the plate, i dont want to loose it completely and you really need 2 forms of id on the car and as usual Peugeot put it in a place where rust tends to form. if it disappears completely and i spray the car then it will look just as suspicious having nothing there.

S@m

i know what your saying sam but its not the plate, i dont want to loose it completely and you really need 2 forms of id on the car and as usual Peugeot put it in a place where rust tends to form. if it disappears completely and i spray the car then it will look just as suspicious having nothing there.

I see your point, you can get new ones from peugeot, but i cannot find them anywhere on servicebox at the moment. And the servicebox text search isnt working (and hasnt been for about 2 months!). I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Sam

smithy

I take it you are talking about the one that is stamped on body and not the riveted on plate?

If so personally I would try and do something to stop rust making it worse or speak to a bodyshop and see what they do about things like this when changing panels.

Paulmac19

My car is in the exact same sate

i recently part restored my car, and my last 4 numbers of the chassis number are all but gone.

I was wondering what i could do about it, but any form of tampering with it will look suspicious.

All that can be done in my opinion is try to save as much of the rest of the number as you can.

Part identification, like having eight numbers that correspond with the tax book details has to be better than nothing.

I am going to ask at the test center when i go for mot,

All Northern Ireland test centers are Government owned and run by the by the DVLA so hopefully i can get us all a definitive answer..

Paulmac19

Well after a brief chat with the Mot Inspector at the test center on Thursday he said pretty much as i expected

Try and keep the numbers as original as possible any rust treat in a rust inhibitor

To try and stop it getting any worse, or at least to slow the rusting down a bit.

2-Pugs

Unless the rust perforates the metal, you won't loose the number. The original stamping goes through to the underside of that metal piece. If you put a piece of blue tack under there and press it in and carefully remove it, then the vin number will be almost perfectly imprinted on to the blue tack.

jeremy

Unless the rust perforates the metal, you won't loose the number. The original stamping goes through to the underside of that metal piece. If you put a piece of blue tack under there and press it in and carefully remove it, then the vin number will be almost perfectly imprinted on to the blue tack.

I had to do similar for the DVLA, I just did a crayon rubbing and it came out fine. As said before I would just stop it getting worse, as imo unless you are doing a complete respray of the whole are I think it will just arouse suspicion when you come to the MOT or to sell it.

joe1joe

Mine has been coverd over just by paint after i re-sprayed the engine bay (no rust was present) and as said there is still means of reading it from underneath.