• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

Fibreglass Body Panels

tomcolinjones

Hi,

I have done a search and found a few companies that supply 205 fibreglass bonnets, wings and boot lids e.t.c

The thread on this forum is quite old that contains prices, and quality of parts. so I have started a new up to date thread to compile info on current availability of GRP/fibreglass/carbon body parts.

I am interested in a bonnet personaly, but i am unsure if they are available with 'skeleton' to fix the hinges to.

If you know of good quality parts available, please post a link or name of the company / person.

Thanks

Tom

Cameron

I can see why you'd want to buy a GRP bonnet with the intention of fitting it to the standard hinges, but it's a bad idea. Hinges are actually pretty stiff to operate, even if you keep them well greased, so I'd be very worried about cracking the bonnet if you have it open a lot. You're way better off fitting a set of 4 Aerocatches - forget conventional bonnet pins, they're ugly as hell and you may get ticked off about having them if you ever go to track days, especially if you go the the ring!

We discussed doors a couple of weeks back on Simon's project thread, and the general consensus was that to make them stiff enough they would be just as heavy as a lightened metal door. I'm in the process of lightening mine and can tell you it's possible to get them very light while still keeping them pretty stiff!

Also if you were to fit GRP doors, you'd better make sure you either A - have a roll cage with door cross bars or B - don't ever crash! As the protection you get from a GRP door is next to sod all!

Boot lids you can probably mount on the original hinges as they're just simple pin hinges, but you'd want to secure the base with bonnet pins or Aerocatches, as keeping the original lock in there will crack it. You also won't be able to use the boot struts any more, so it actually makes sense to mount it on 4 pins and ditch the hinges.

Cameron

If you've got £1,200 to spend on a bonnet, go for it! :lol:

Personally, having it on standard hinges completely defeats the point of having a carbon bonnet - light weight.