• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

[engine_work] 205 1.6 Gti Sorrento

tomcolinjones

This is a topic thread about my recently purchased 205 1.6 gti Sorrento green.

As far as I am aware, it is an ex JustGTIs car as informed by previous owner, and the sticker in rear window, and the numberplates :blush:

As far as i know at the moment the car is a 1.6 gti with non running 1.9 engine ,1.9 gearbox ,1.9 brakes and a 1.9 beam.

It is lowered around 30mm front and rear. It has ABS still plumbed in.

torsion/arb size is unknown at the moment, but it does feel stiff.

overall condition is good, except the front valance has stonechips, and the rear valance has been cut to accomodate a large bore tailpipe at some time.

I had no interior with the car, as it had the limited edition green carpets, door cards and seats.

The passenger wing has a slight buble of rust near the side repeator, and has a few more rust spots developed from stone chips just above the sill.

My intentions are to fit the MI16 2.0L engine and gearbox i have already.

Along with Koni and KYB adjustable dampers and 30mm lowering springs to match the rear.

Braided brake hoses, and re-work the piping to cut out the ABS system.

Tidy up the bodywork ( pref a good n/s/f wing, tailgate trim, F+R valances and matching grill)

Fit standard GTi red carpet, half leather ph1.5/2 seats and doorcards.

Original colour 1.9 gti wheels and good tyres.

tomcolinjones

10042011950.jpg

10042011949.jpg

10042011948.jpg

10042011951-1.jpg

10042011944.jpg

Anthony

Looks clean and tidy in the pictures :) Do I assume that it's originally an early Phase 2 car that's had the earlier indicators fitted for some reason?

Judging by the way the beam is sat a little low on the offside and that the car I believe has sat for quite a while, are you sure it's not siezed up, hence the stiffness? Also, it might be a trick of the light/camera, but is the nearside rear wheel showing a little positive camber - certainly looks like it in the top photo anyway.

I might be able to help with the grill and valances you need as I've got a Sorrento that I'll be breaking shortly.

tomcolinjones

Looks clean and tidy in the pictures :) Do I assume that it's originally an early Phase 2 car that's had the earlier indicators fitted for some reason?

Judging by the way the beam is sat a little low on the offside and that the car I believe has sat for quite a while, are you sure it's not siezed up, hence the stiffness? Also, it might be a trick of the light/camera, but is the nearside rear wheel showing a little positive camber - certainly looks like it in the top photo anyway.

I might be able to help with the grill and valances you need as I've got a Sorrento that I'll be breaking shortly.

Just been out with my trusty fingers to measure, not the best method im sure but it all seems about level. (the drive is leaning over a bit) Ill get it in the air tomorow and see if everything is mooving and not mooving how it should.

I think it is an Early ph2 like you say(black dash). it came without indicators and the ph1 lamps are all i have spare so i just filled the hole with them for now :)

Grill and Valances would be ideal if you could sort them out for me, also a filler cap?.... how good are you at getting wings off? i have never managed to get a factory wing off without making a pretzel out of it! i'm sure i would be better off just fitting a good one to the n/s rather than trying to touch it up.

Am I going to upset a few people by not fitting green carpet and door cards? and the L.E seats? because i dont like them :P

I much prefere a good clean Red carpet, and some good condition half leathers any day.

Sun roof works well, and no signs of a bad leak which is a result.

ive been having a go with the polish, got the bonnet looking good with a nice shine. rear quaters are getting there, doors need quite a bit of work before they match tho :(

Edited by tomcolinjones

GLPoomobile

First thing I thought when I saw pic 1 was, nearside wheel looks to have a touch of positive camber.

I wouldn't worry about what people think on your choice of interior. Who are trying to please - yourself or others? Although I think you are mad if you don't like the green check seats and green carpet :ph34r:

tomcolinjones

i've been using 't-cut' to get the grime out of the laquer and its working ok. dont want to go too much as he laquer on these is kindof thin! tho i'm sure this has had a re-spray at some point.

Found a picture of the engine I shall be using ....

30012011797.jpg

Will be with either 1.9 mi16 inlet manifold, or XU10J4RS inlet... rather than the ACAV system.

Start getting the old engine out tomorro, and making up brake pipes.

Batfink

Looks even better with a good clean. Its got a 1.6 engine and gearbox but 1.9 driveshafts, hubs and brakes. Not sure what the rear beam is. I never got to the rear of the car, hence our little issue with those locking wheel nuts this morning!

Masekwm

I'd be interested in the 1.6 gearbox when you pull the engine :)

Anthony

I think it is an Early ph2 like you say(black dash). it came without indicators and the ph1 lamps are all i have spare so i just filled the hole with them for now :)

Grill and Valances would be ideal if you could sort them out for me, also a filler cap?.... how good are you at getting wings off? i have never managed to get a factory wing off without making a pretzel out of it! i'm sure i would be better off just fitting a good one to the n/s rather than trying to touch it up.

The wings on mine are rusty anyway, having been replaced with pattern parts at some point after being front ended. You can remove original wings if you're patient and methodical, although it does depend to a degree how generous they were with the seam sealant that week - some are quite easy, and others are near impossible.

Grill, valances, and filler cap I do have at the moment, although I've got someone else interested in some of the panels. I have a pair of Phase 2 clear front indicators as well if you want some?

Am I going to upset a few people by not fitting green carpet and door cards? and the L.E seats? because i dont like them :P

I much prefere a good clean Red carpet, and some good condition half leathers any day.

The green carpet/doorcards and black/green check seats are standard as found on Phase 2 Sorrento Green, Laser Green and Steel Grey models, not limited edition at all.

The limited edition Sorrento's were Phase 1.5 (so grey plastics/dash/trim) and had full grey leather seats and grey carpet and doorcards

Clearly though, run whatever interior you like since it's your car! It's not like it'll be one for the purists anyway given your sticking an S16 engine in it, playing with the suspension etc....

tomcolinjones

That explains the lack of spacer between the block and sump :unsure:

Anthony that would be super if you could sort me out the clear indicators, grill, filler cap, front and rear valances. It would go a long way to get It looking good. Please sent me a PM with price :) . I shall have a go at touching up the wing.

I will also be on the lookout for ph2 interior... i shall start a wanted thread.

I'l have a read up on the Limited edition thing, as it seems i'm not as clued up as I thaught :blush:

Edited by tomcolinjones

tomcolinjones

I'd be interested in the 1.6 gearbox when you pull the engine :)

Not sure what im going to do with it yet. i may put it in my xs gti6 road rally car until i can find a decent press to make up a 1.9 box with mi16 CWP.

I shall let you know if i'm selling

tomcolinjones

I would also like some input into what colour to do the 1.9 wheels, as the ones on it have to go back to the previous owner.

I have 4 ex- rallycross wheels that are streight and need re-furbing before i fit them, and i am unsire of the colour. I didnt like the gun metal and polished rims until now. they have grown on me. but i would like the car to look absolutaly standard except a bit lower. I think as they are they may make the car a little too 'chavvy' :ph34r:

tomcolinjones

My uncle came around today with some of his valeting gear (used to be his job) we cut the laquer back qith some g6 stuff, and then used autoglym polish on the whole lot, as well as some bumper / trim restorer. I am suprised how well it came up. it shows up a little more green than it did.... but still looks black in most light :)

11042011970.jpg

tomcolinjones

No pictures at the moment as Photobucket is down.

Today I have taken the black bilsteins off the front, removed the engine and gearbox and started to sort the wiring out. Though I dont realy know what im doing with it :lol:

Couldnt get the rear wheels off due to locking wheel bolts... I shall have to find a socket thats a good size to bash on and get them out.

tomcolinjones

12042011978.jpg

Edited by tomcolinjones

tdr_1976

Blimey matey! You've been busy!

You have enough Pugs there to start a museum now....... :lol:

Keep up the good work!

Keep up the good work!

tomcolinjones

Keep up the good work!

Has been a buisy here the last few days!, Its the nice weather we have been getting! think i have hit a brick wall with the wiring tho :wacko:

I have 2 pugs to myself, and the CTI is the old mans i suppose :blush:

Due to the mi16 being standing for a while, I decided to take the cam cover off, and have a good poke around and pour some oil down the insides ( not sure if it does anything but makes me feel better :D ) And turned it over a couple of times and it all feels good.

Put some brand new NGK Iridium plugs in before i put teh last cover on, and gave it a bit of a rub down by hand.

got the inlet manifold off after the long bolts have been sat in WD40 for 8 months they where still a b@stard to get out!

I then started hacking up my MI16 loom, ready to join to the 2 brown plugs under the dash.

Pictures from todays efforts....

130420111002.jpg

130420111000.jpg

allye

Christ your not hanging about! MI will be finished before the VTS :lol:

tomcolinjones

Christ your not hanging about! MI will be finished before the VTS :lol:

Come on Ali, they will never be finished! theres always something to do with ANY car :D

I am waiting on paint for the xs, then it can start going back together. Its amazing how much i can get done if i am at home in the week :angry:

tomcolinjones

Update time!

Took the gearbox off as i need to fit 205 type clutch lever, and bx16v clutch to the flywheel. and as I was fitting the engine by myself this morning i didnt want to damage anything.

Couldnt get the slam pannel of without making a mess so i left it until i can get the grinder working to take the bolt heads off.

As my engine hoist will NOT move with weight on in on my stone drive i decided to drop the lump in from the top. (I had to lift the engine up and move the car around the engine, rather than moving the hoist :lol: Still only took me 20 minutes. worst part was trying to get the lower mount bolt in as its 'tight' around the M/C

Pics...

140420111004.jpg

140420111005.jpg

140420111007.jpg

I think the MI16 cam cover looks at home in the 205 engine bay... looks even better in red :D

tomcolinjones

With the '6' manifold i think it looks even better. (does need a bloody good clean tho :o )

140420111010.jpg

Only bolted it up loos with 2 bolts, as i need to either remove the dowles from the head that locate the s16 manifold, or drill holes into the 6 manifold.

Throttle cable fits well, although it doent look too neat resting on the cam cover. will be getting a longer one and routing it around the engine instead.

My plan is to use pipes from the 6 engine i have, to plumb this mi16 in (oil / breather / coolant) and then re-fit the 6 engine with silicone hoses :D

Once its all running it will be trailored to Chip wizzards for a map with a nice set of '6' injectors to be fitted just before.

Would be interesting to see what a s16/mi16 will make with Xu10j4rs manifold and injectors.

Batfink

Bloody hell you are moving fast! Its good to see as it would have only rotted away in my hands lol

tomcolinjones

Bloody hell you are moving fast! Its good to see as it would have only rotted away in my hands lol

Ive got 10 days left before this one starts rotting like my other! :lol: Then i have to go back to camp, home 4 days a month i cant get much done :(

tomcolinjones

Couldnt get the dowels out of the head, so to prevent damaging the face of the head, i used the gasket as a marker and drilled 2 holes in the manifold flange where the dowels would sit.

All fitted necely now. I will have room for the filter with battery in place aswell :D

Will be soldering up my sensor loom tomorow, and trying to find something to bung up the resinator hole in the underside of the manifold. as well as sort out the breather pipes.

tomcolinjones

Started on the wiring today, well.... trying to figure where all the plugs go :rolleyes:

I am unsure which path to take on the exhaust... do i fit it with a standard tailpipe, or fit either a scorpian stainless box that i took off a scrap 205 years ago with 3 1/2 tailpipe, or the Peco 2 1/2 pipe? I have got a standard (new) 8v downpipe to fit to my manifold nicely, and i have a center section without a box in and one with a box. think its bosai or something.

Edited by tomcolinjones