• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tomcolinjones

[engine_work] 205 1.6 Gti Sorrento

tomcolinjones

Bit of a headscratcher going on! i'm going to have a good go at the wiring as soon as the BTCC has finished today :blush:

As the car stands today.... wires all over the place!

160420111023.jpg

Also fitted the 8v downpipe to the mi16 cast manifold wihout any dramas, my center section with a box in has had it, so im using a streight thru to back box pipe which i know is gunna be way too loud!

am using the Peco 2 1/2" box which fits quite nicely in the GTI valance and is not stupidly big!

150420111014.jpg

Suspension plans have advanced!

The 309 beam that i was going to use on the XS will now be used on this sorrento. along with Xsara VTS arms. I aim to set it around current ride hight. the thicker t/bs and arb should stiffen the back up a bit and the neg camber increace traction in the corners.

309 lower arms / wishbones on the front with 205 1.9 shafts for now. the car has ABS and I dont know if i want to keep or ditch it and 309 abs shafts are hens teeth so i am told.

Koni adj fixed platform shocks with 40mm lowering springs on the front, and KYB adjustable on the rear... hopefuly it should be a quick well handaling car... moreso than a standard one!

Edited by tomcolinjones

tomcolinjones

As you can tell i'm having a bit of a dylema with the wiring. it seems it would have been easyer if i could find wiring diagrams for this exact loom. :angry:

also the two ignition amp's are missing.

I was planing on fitting ther 8v management, but it requires more work with fitting a 1.9 inlet cam to run a dizy e.t.c, so ill have to struggle on with this :(

Edited by tomcolinjones

tomcolinjones

I have found what I think is a mi16 inlet cam with both the 'cut out' to drive a distributor and the tang for the cam sensor pickup.

I am waiting on a either a labeled up MI16 loom, or a distributor adapter and dizzy + AFM. :D

My friend seems to think it will run fine on the Jetronic setup, but most people on here say to stick with the motronic 405 setup.

Tom Fenton

Yes it will run on Jetronic. It however will run far better and make more power and generally behave itself properly on Motronic.

Anthony

I have found what I think is a mi16 inlet cam with both the 'cut out' to drive a distributor and the tang for the cam sensor pickup.

You only need the cam phase sensor tang if you're running the S16 Motronic management - it is not needed for Jetronic (although I'd really suggest not going down that route) or 1.9 Mi16 Motronic.

Everyone does wiring in their own particular way, but from what I can gather in the pictures, it looks like you're pretty much tearing the whole loom apart and that's liable to get you very confused and make the job far more complicated than it otherwise would be. The wires that you need to identify and join into the 205 loom are all on the round multiplugs from memory, and should be easy enough to identify with a combination of the wire numbers and a multimeter. If you start pulling the whole loom apart, you're liable to just get lost in a mass of tangled multi-coloured spaghetti and even identifying what plug goes where becomes a problem as nothing is where it is meant to be on the loom.

If you're struggling, my advice would be to identify all the easy bits first like the dash sensor/lights and the ignition feed, and then see what you're left with, going through the remaining wires one by one either identifying them as something you need (eg fuel pump, rev counter) or wires that you don't (eg immobiliser, oil level etc).

tomcolinjones

Thanks for teh input, I should be getting a S16/MI16 loom minus the sensor loom which i can sort out easiyl enough. it will be labled up so it should be easy to fit, plug in and away to go!

I would rather keep it on motronic, like you say it will run better and be more reliable.

Hope i get it right this time!

Flozman

Hi mate nice to see another one of my cars siblings, ill trade ya yellow indicators for my clear.

tomcolinjones

With all the cuffuffle with the wiring I have now decided to get another S16 manifold and loom and use in standard form. I have been doing a bit of reading up on the acav system and aparently the ACAV can be set up lto work like a poor mans 'VTEC' opening the buterflies in the large ports at 4K rpm when the engine in 'on cam'. I have sourced parts just need to get them.

This will obviously be plug and play. I am aware that the system can be trouble some, but if everything is working and set up correctly can be a joy to drive.

Took a pic today in the sun, the CTI has claimed the Goodwood style wheels so I can have the 1.6 wheels on mine, what a sleeper :)

300520111133.jpg

Anthony

I have been doing a bit of reading up on the acav system and aparently the ACAV can be set up lto work like a poor mans 'VTEC' opening the buterflies in the large ports at 4K rpm when the engine in 'on cam'. I have sourced parts just need to get them.

Typically when it's broken it'll give that characteristic - the whole point of the ACAV system is to boost performance when the engine is off-cam at lower revs and thus dial out some of the typical on-off cam behaviour that typical old-school 16v engines exhibit. Having the ACAV broken like that doesn't boost high-end power, only sacrifices low-end.

allye

That cti looks lovely! Your going to need to hurry up with one of your two cars as I'm planning on moting the rallye this week or next! :)

tomcolinjones

About time for an update!

Ive been off the 205's for a long time due to un-certain future employment. so ive been trying to use my cash wisely.

The xs is going for scrap because the halfwit who welded the cage in messed it up.

so.... the gti6 is now going in the sorrento, along with the bilsteins and 309 arms.

I have sourced a safety devices cage from a friend of mine in exchange for a help on a few rallies.