• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ashley205

My 205 2.0 Turbo Project

ashley205

hello, here is a couple of pictures to show you where i am now in the progress of getting my 205 on the road.

i bought a half finished 205 turbo which was a mess but did run and drive. i have put the engine in an old turbo technics i found with no engine but had upgraded brakes and suspension

so i thought it would be a good car to start off with. on taking the engine out i found the manifold was cracked and picked up a whole new engine for under £100 as the ebay listing was mis-spelled!

i swapped all the relevent bits over and salvaged many spares in the process. im currently doing the wiring plumbing and getting it ready to fire up, but ill keep updating the progress with some nice pictures to keep you all up to date :)

i want to get her looking nice and original eventually, please ignore all the chavvy colours under the bonnet and the shear mess, i is going to be made as stealth as possible. im running an uprated rx7 intercooler which fits like a glove!

IMG00009-20100827-1915.jpg

IMG20110404_002.jpg

dcc

wow! looks interesting in there :)

whats your overall plans?

ashley205

i want it looking pretty original, just lowered 30mm as it is now on the standard speedlines.

engine wise i want it all neat and colour coded black and silver, running around the 200bhp mark would be enough, but wouldnt say no to more if its not big bucks!

its not going to be the nicest or the fastest but it will be a home build done on the driveway, but i think thats still a great achievement :)

lukesaddy

looks like its a good base to start from mate, as with all threads, more pics please :)

keep up the progress, i can imagine the plumbing and wiring being a bit of a nightmare but it will defo be worth it in the end, especially if you keep it looking pretty standard as you say ''sleeper style'' :)

:)

Baz

What a mess!

Good project, good luck with it and keep us updated! :)

peter

wow, never thought id see my old engine!! :o i did not cover it in all that red s*ite however or the silver paint! but the rx7 intercooler was, and i still have the receipt for it and a one off dump valve.

By the way the engine that i sold with that intercooler had covered less than 10k genuine miles when i sold it but that was a few years ago... hope you havent weighed it in!

Did it come with the home made exhaust system and audi back box?

Dan

Hi there, really old thread I know. I purchased this car a few months back, the shell was really rotten and in a terrible state so I've basically removed the engine and gearbox, front and rear suspension and got rid of the shell. First thing I did was sort the wiring loom out as it was in a bad way! I've had it running  and it runs well, however I want to be sure it's ok before I put it in my car (309). I've removed the head and found it doesn't have the original camshaft in it, can anyone (Ashley or Peter) give me any history on the engine? I'll get some pics of the progress I've made with wiring and with head off tomorrow. Thanks guys.

welshpug

what makes you say its not the standard camshaft?

Dan

I'm not 100% mate. It's just because the cam brackets was loose when I stripped it and the end of the cam has an offset cut out which isn't being used for anything which has me thinking it's not the right cam, it ran ok with it in even though it was loose! would you say it's standard? Thanks for replying.

Dan

Update on the 2.0 turbo, it's been finished and is in the 309, it's been back on the road now for about 3 weeks so far no issues. The head was was skimmed whilst it was off, new valve stem seals, cam seals, head gasket and head bolts with new washers, new timing belt kit and water pump, inlet and exhaust gaskets. As I mentioned previously the camshaft was loose, the list went on and on. Only 2 bolts holding the thermostat housing in with no sealant, bell housing bolts missing, lugs snapped from release bearing so it was just floating on the input shaft sleeve, I stripped the gearbox whilst I was at it and found again no sealant on 5 gear casing, 1st gear synchro completely mangled, platetery gears chipped/locking up. I fitted a new 1st and 2nd synchro, replaced the output shaft and diff, new diff seals, and rebuilt it. I've changed the turbo actuator for an adjustable unit instead of putting a bleed valve in. I found a crack on the turbo casting so had to have that welded up, didn't get pics of the rebuild, I got too carried away and just did it lol. There's still bits that need doing as always but it's on the right path. Here's a few picks of it as of tonight. Thanks.

IMG_20180313_205633.jpg

IMG_20180313_205217.jpg

Dan

This is how it was when I first got it in the 205.

Screenshot_20171203-194547.png