• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hothatch

[trackday_prep] My Fast Road/track Day 205 Gti Project (Gti6?)

hothatch

Right here we go :D

Right Ive done a few in the past, only half finished my last one though but anyway i decided around 6 weeks ago to do another :D so heres the story so far :blink: .

The plan was to get hold of a half about 205 gti 1.6 or 1.9 with a good body (no rust) and shell that needed a new lease of life so i could be the one who gave it to it. I love these cars so much so one that had been abused and trashed was the target for around 500 quid.

I found this which i now own :D happy to see my name on gti logbook again lol

http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m482/beenjamin1/

hothatch

But heres where the decisions start hmmm :wacko:

the car was advitised with lots of faults that basiclly made it sound naffed.Whats written in the brackets are what i found when i got it home, electric windows that dont work (Not wirered up), bad bad oil leak (just a sump gasket), drivers side bolster (just sqaushed) Needs new Headlamp (just chipped) bad bodywork (just a poor paint job) and worst of all a head gasket failiure! Which has turned out to be jus condinsation in the crankcase ! Changed the oil and shes fine !! I did a coolant pressure test and compression test with no issues !

It was also just advertised as a standard 1.6, the lad i bought it off owned it for 4 years and never nknew ther was a 1.9 engine inside haha ! The craziest thing is that it is a VERY fast 1.9 engine as i found out earlier ! Theres a full rebuild with all uprated parts in the history that came to neally a grand ! I also have a sneaky suspision that the clutch is uprated by the feel of it. Anyway it has loads of receipts and invoices with mileage all the way through the life and has money spent on it without question which is to good to be true when i was only after a banger with a good shell lol :huh: I have now also found out that shes a genuwine 90,000 MILER !!!! I cannot beleive it ! :lol:

So heres my prediciment :mellow: I was intending to strip her out, full rollcage, seats, harnesses, full switch panel with diagnostic hook up and engine mangment light etc.... , ful suspension overhaul with uprated bits front and rear, disc brake conversion on rear and gti6 280mm fronts , twin cooling fans, XU10J4RS engine with VTS 5 speed box and a lovely new paintjob to finish her off.

BUT now i just feel guilty for even thinking about ripping her to bits. :( what do i do ?

Help anyone > suggestions? do i restore her back to former glory? With a 16v engine, the car peugoet never made ? Or go all out like i planned ?

thanks in advance.

Might i add she is so solid all the way around ! even behind the headlights theres no rust !

Edited by hothatch

allye

By the sounds of it its a 1.6 with a 1.9 motor, so its already been messed about with a little so no reason for you to rip her apart :lol: Sounds like an absolute bargain, do you mind me asking how much you paid!?

Previous owner sounds like a plank :ph34r:

monkee87

At the end of the day, what to do is up to you. :) It seems a shame to rip it apart and turn it into a track car like so many others. Standard examples are going to worth a few quid in a couple of years, but then again, this car isn't standard if it's a 1.6 with a 1.9 in! :lol: IMO, if you restore it, you've got to go all out, no expense spared. That's the only way.

On another note, do you want to sell me the rubber floor mats? :)

hothatch

By the sounds of it its a 1.6 with a 1.9 motor, so its already been messed about with a little so no reason for you to rip her apart :lol: Sounds like an absolute bargain, do you mind me asking how much you paid!?

Previous owner sounds like a plank :ph34r:

lol yes mate i know the engine is not standard :lol: but nealy everything else is :wacko: yes mate i do now feel like ive had a bargain and no i dont mind. i payed £430 for her :wub:

haha yeah your right the driver knew nothing about cars as you can tell lol the engine is an absolute animal ive got to give (driven loads) an shes quick. :D

i am still 50/50 about which way to go? Stripped out fast road track beast or back to origanal ? hhhhmmmmmmm decsions.......

hothatch

At the end of the day, what to do is up to you. :) It seems a shame to rip it apart and turn it into a track car like so many others. Standard examples are going to worth a few quid in a couple of years, but then again, this car isn't standard if it's a 1.6 with a 1.9 in! :lol: IMO, if you restore it, you've got to go all out, no expense spared. That's the only way.

On another note, do you want to sell me the rubber floor mats? :)

I know mate i really wanted to pick an abused one up which i thought i had turn her into a fast road stripped beast but shes just to good tbh. I feel sorry for it in a personal way lol :lol:

i know i wouldnt mind restoring her it would be quite fun it would also work out cheaper as i was going to throw 4 grand at the fast road build lol (over time) and the engines a real good one which i just cant see myself letting go of lol :blush:

One thing i didnt really take notice of lol the floor mats, if they are original (doubt it :P ) you wont be having them lol na how much they worth mate ??

thanks for the replys. still need some help deciding though :wacko:

GLPoomobile

Why not try and sell it on for a quick profit?

Look for another one and invest the profit in the project.

• Like 1

hothatch

Why not try and sell it on for a quick profit?

Look for another one and invest the profit in the project.

yeh thats a good idea / option actually mate thanks. :blush:

stu8v

Its always better to start off with a good one rather than a s*itter........ :rolleyes:

monkee87

One thing i didnt really take notice of lol the floor mats, if they are original (doubt it :P ) you wont be having them lol na how much they worth mate ??

From the looks of things, they may be the original ones. Can't tell from the angle of the photo... a set of front ones sold on eBay like a week ago for £50. They were supposedly new though. I stupidly sold my set in one of my old GTi's... :( been after another set ever since because I don't like the carpet mats. :angry:

hothatch

From the looks of things, they may be the original ones. Can't tell from the angle of the photo... a set of front ones sold on eBay like a week ago for £50. They were supposedly new though. I stupidly sold my set in one of my old GTi's... :( been after another set ever since because I don't like the carpet mats. :angry:

yeah your right stu8v im going to get into the workshop tommorow an make some decisions lol

i had a look earlier they surely look origanal i will get some pics for you, see if you can tell me, thanks for making me aware of that mate appreicated! If they are i wont be letting them go though sorry mate, im sure you will find some :D

Im going to take the engine out tommorow anyway start cdoing the belt, water pump, gaskets and seals and so on, also going to clean the engine bay right up, might even get it painted :D

thanks guys, pics up tommorw.

hothatch

hi all ive kept the car in storage for a year been making some career moves all settled now, been thinking about starting work on the 205 again and after a long old think i think its time lol will keep you guys updated , i need to accumulate some gti6 parts for her.

Daniel185

Good to hear you still have it. Best of luck with the build.

hothatch

Good to hear you still have it. Best of luck with the build.

thanks mate :)

hothatch

Picked up my xu10j4rs in the week , pulled her apart all seems good, bores are good , bigs and mains all good, cams are good.

Just basicly a clean up now a lick of paint, new shell bearings and rings and the I ll get some forger pistons and an exhaust manifold for my turbo conversion.

hothatch

bit of progess made,

cleaned the block up and painted her,

removed crankshaft had her reground,

new mains , big end bearings and new rings.

got a good second hand sump from dcc as mine was cracked also bought an extented pick oil pump pick up from him which is pretty cool, ive torqued the crank down and sealed both end caps, cleaned my pistons ready to fit the ring kits and then they can go in, along with the oil pump so the sump can finally go on.

as for the head im not sure what to do, im not going or turbo now ive decided on jenveys, not sure if im going to go for cams yet, just fast road maybe.

i was going to upload some pics but the files are greater than 500kb's, what do most people use on here for uploading pics ??

cant wait to get the keys for my garage as the engines not far away now and i can get the car there and start on her to :) im excited !

hothatch

pic links

my block painted

http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj624/beenjaminlive/?action=view&current=IMG-20120403-00010.jpg

my reground crank :)

http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj624/beenjaminlive/?action=view&current=IMG-20120403-00010.jpg#!oZZ5QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1271.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fjj624%2Fbeenjaminlive%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DIMG-20120403-00011.jpg

http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj624/beenjaminlive/?action=view&current=IMG-20120403-00010.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1271.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fjj624%2Fbeenjaminlive%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DIMG-20120404-00017.jpg

i ll post some more in the next couple of days, need to get my sump sand blasted before fitting that if keiths got time that is, he doesnt take to kindly to other people using his blaster as he uses it for restoring Baileys Bonkers Ford RS collection he wont be to happy with any grease or oil flying around in there haha :/

any suggestions of what to do with the cylinder head would be apreiciated guys, im going for Jenveys and after market managment with a remap so some cam advice would be much welcomed :)

hothatch

bit of an update :), been sorting my new garage out for the last month so havnt done alot its a slow process with work and all anyway, heres the car in the garage ready to start some work.

http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj624/beenjaminlive/?action=view&current=BlaenauGwent-20120525-00074.jpg

the bottom end of my 6 lump is now complete just got the head to do now, doing away with the hydraulic lifters and fitting some cams not sure which ones yet though, i ll upload a pic of my bottom end complete soon.

Edited by hothatch

allye

Nice garage! When you post your photos instead of a link copy and paste the IMG code.....

BlaenauGwent-20120525-00074.jpg

Your doing a very thorough job, should be a belter when its done.

hothatch

cheers allye thats better mate nice one :) going to be a while but going to be worth the wait going right through her.

was working in the garage earlier and had an hour spare after a job i did , the 205 was stareing at me haha, i whipped the dash out of her ready to start routing the loom through the pssenger side to keep away from the exhaust , plus im going to be wiring in a switch panel with warning lights on near the centre console somehere. Also removed a load of aftermarket wiring and box for the immobiliser and retro fitted electric window regs, all gone, in the bin , load of junk nothing but origanal loom left now ready for me to add to :) really want this car to be mine through out.

Dont know where else to start really, think im gonna crack on with the inside for a bit see what i can do. i ll be stripping the engine bay soon aswell for a clean up and maybe a lick of paint if shes lucky :)

BlaenauGwent-20120606-00087.jpg

pugpete1108

nice little project, good luck.

carpet need a good clean tho :P

how bad a condition were the electric windows in? and what did you/do you have for it?

im thinking of going for electric setup, maybe a bit of swappage with my manual setup unless you already have the bits?

pete

16v engine with the rest std (ish) uprated suspension and brakes. job done

stick an ew in it??

Edited by pugpete1108

hothatch

thanks :) the carpets not the cleanest to be honest the car was at my mates unti for a while im sure he swapped them !! along with a few other bits !

the window reg's are shot to bits pete and the wiring was terrible so i just chopped it all out nothing really salvagable sorry mate.

hothatch

heres a pic of my bottom end all fully rebuilt, reground crank, new bearings and thrust washers along with new seals and other bits and bobs also new piston rings. Ive changed the core plugs more recently than this photo to.

NeathPortTalbot-20120607-00089.jpg

i really need some motivation to start wipping my valves out of my head but just got so much work on at the minute and i cant really be bothered lol :/

Edited by hothatch

hothatch

had an hour spare the other day when i was in the garage so i started stripping the bay on the can, needs be stripped bare though when i got time so i can paint it all.

im going to go for white in the engine bay make things a bit brighter for when i work on her also should look pretty nice i think.

BlaenauGwent-20120609-00091.jpg

bit rough at the minute i know, but please bare with me :) she ll be a minter not going to settle for anyless than the best i can do.