• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Rules Regarding Reshelling A Car

pugpete1108

given the fact the bodywork on my pug has about ten layers of paint on it (including the layer of matte black i have out on) and i have just warped the roof welding the sunroof up, i am seriously considering reshelling it into a new base model non sunroof shell.

legally how does this work? do i keep my car identity or use the shell's? just swap vin plates over and change colour on v5?

also is there any difference between gti and base model shell's? i know arches are different (wider or not?) but i have rallye arches i would be fitting anyway along with pretty much everything from my car.

the only real issue i see is wiring with regards to dash etc (no need to worry about managment side as i have a complete custom loom)

its just a thought really as it may be easier and cheaper to reshell into something newer and straighter than have mine sorted and painted.

Leet205
legally how does this work? do i keep my car identity or use the shell's? just swap vin plates over and change colour on v5?

you would use the base models I.D. its not as simple as just changing the vin plate over as the chassis number is stamped on the bulkhead. only way to keep your cars own I.D is if you buy a brandnew shell and have the receipt as proof if its questioned.

also is there any difference between gti and base model shell's? i know arches are different (wider or not?) but i have rallye arches i would be fitting anyway along with pretty much everything from my car.

the archs will need cut for clearance front ones are mainly just the lip and the rear ones are cut away.

here is a thread from steve@cornwall where he changed the rear archs to gti spec on a base model

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=125628&st=0

Colin.

pugpete1108

shame really, as i like my cars identity and i have had it for 8 yrs

how about swapping reg numbers over? and keeping the new vin numbers?

Leet205

It is possible! you would have to retain your registration (basicly making it a private plate) then transfer it onto the new base model once its all reshelled. but the car you transfer it onto would have to be the same age (and prefix) or newer.

read this - http://www.theplatemarket.com/can_i_retain_my_number_plate.php

then this - http://www.theplatemarket.com/how_to_retain_a_number_plate.php

whats wrong with your old shell other than s*ite paint and warped roof panel? does it have bad rot? might be worth getting a non sunroof skin from a base model swapping it over then get a respray

Colin.

pugpete1108

its got no rot or dents tbh. just lost of interior electrics missing, lots of layers of paint and now a buggered roof.

how hard is it to reskin a roof though? this might be a good idea and save alot of hasstle.

cRaig

Id prefer the hassle of putting a new roof on, in comparison to dealing with the dvla, or reshelling a gti into a base model shell. If you are really keen on a reshell, get a GTi shell, there are still lots about.

Im currently reshelling a 1976 midget into a 1275 1968 sprite shell, and thats a lot more hassle than I would like lol

Baz

You can keep the ID etc if you can prove you've used enough items from the donor car, it works on a points system, engine, axles etc add up your points and you need a certain amount to use the donor ID. Well it was that way a few years ago anyway!

cRaig

From the DVLA:

"In order to retain the original registration mark:

* cars and car-derived vans must use:

The original unmodified chassis or unaltered bodyshell (i.e. body and chassis as one unit - monocoque); or a new chassis or monocoque bodyshell of the same specification as the original supported by evidence from the dealer or manufacturer (e.g. receipt).

And two other major components from the original vehicle - ie suspension (front & back); steering assembly; axles (both); transmission or engine."

DVLA

So unfortunately, unless you source a brand new bodyshell, with a suitable receipt, that doesnt apply :(

pugpete1108

there is a fair bit of work involved, best having a look at some and then deciding

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=116783&view=findpost&p=1052555&hl=%2Broof+%2Bskin&fromsearch=1

B*lls to all that :lol: ,im going to reshell and keep the new id. d638ytf will be no more :( sad really but hey life goes on.

it gives me a chance to make good a few bits i wish i had done before i put the engine in.

i ideally want a non cat so can anyone tell me what age they changed over?

thanks for helping my descision, time to start the search for a decent shell then

only problem i have to face now is the engine size and the dvla

Anthony

i ideally want a non cat so can anyone tell me what age they changed over?

If it's before 92/K you'll be fine. If it's after that, you'll need to check the VIN number to be sure, but best assuming that it will need a CAT.

pugpete1108

If it's before 92/K you'll be fine. If it's after that, you'll need to check the VIN number to be sure, but best assuming that it will need a CAT.

Nice one cheers Ant. been looking at a couple of base model auto's around j plate so should be ok.

i may even be able to bag myself some powersteering for no more effort :lol: