• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

1.1 Driveshafts Into A 1.6 Gti Gearbox?

dave205

Just wondering if anybody knows if 1.1 driveshafts will fit on my 1.6 gti, as i have a few lying around in the garage. I assume, they won't as the 1.1 is a tu engine??

steve@cornwall

Just wondering if anybody knows if 1.1 driveshafts will fit on my 1.6 gti, as i have a few lying around in the garage. I assume, they won't as the 1.1 is a tu engine??

Afraid they won't the inner end splines for the 1.1 CV joint (MA gearbox) are too small for the 1.6 (BE) gearbox. I did once make a "hybrid" pair for a 1.1,(GTi shafts with 1.1 inner cvs) but the 1.1 shafts don't split in the same way as the 1.6 where the CV joint can be taken off the shaft. They lost lubricant rapidly (not for the MOT, though) although the n/s is still going strong a couple of years later - the o/s needed replacement a couple of months later.

The inner CV joint of the 1.6 shaft may well fit onto the end of the 1.1 shaft, though.

Sign in to follow this