• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DannoTheGreat

205Gti Non Starter

DannoTheGreat

Hopefully this is the right section, appologies if not!

Iv got a 1.6 gti thats doesn't start. Iv checked if theres enough fuel getting through which there is. And also checked the spark, which there is. Iv borrowed a tachymetric relay and it didnt help. Has anyone got any ideas of what to check? Its cranking, an it sounds like its nearly there but just doesn't fire. cheers

stevessub

mine is the same, its doing my head in.

DannoTheGreat

I cleaned the ecu temp sensor, and cleaned the earth on the box. Still not starting. God knows what it is!

large

If you can try and swap the AFM.

I had a problem like this in the end I bumped it down a hill and away it went.

There is also a theory that a dickey starter motor can cause these symptoms . (I will try and find the thread).

DannoTheGreat

Ah, my starter motor is sticking a little! I'll see if i can get hold of another AFM, does it need to be earthed?

large

I did have a little look I think the starter motor is more relevant to the mi management as it uses a cps.

the afm just has the plug on it.

DannoTheGreat

Ok cheers, i'll see if i can get hold of another AFM to check. Its wierd that it was running well, i parked it up one afternoon, went out a few hours later and it wouldnt start.

pug_ham

It could just be damp on the ignition side, this caught me out years ago when I'd parked mine up running fine & the next day it simply didn't want to fire.

Everything was there, spark & fuel but it wouldn't catch.

Turned out it was just a weak spark & once the damp was cleaned off with wd40 it started straight away.

Graham.

DannoTheGreat

I'll try wd40 on the ingintion side tomor, cheers. Im getting stressed out with it now, i came very close to scrapping it the other day!

jackherer

There is also a theory that a dickey starter motor can cause these symptoms . (I will try and find the thread).

I did have a little look I think the starter motor is more relevant to the mi management as it uses a cps.

the afm just has the plug on it.

I assume you mean the thread I started. I agree that its not something likely to affect an 8v due to lack of CPS and also lack of any digital processing in the ECU. Its actually pretty unlikely on a 16v really, it is only a suggestion I would offer as a last resort after everything else related to fuelling has been checked and rechecked.

Sign in to follow this