• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Baz

Ooh Dear... Ooj's Days Are Numbered!

Baz

For those of you that don't know, 'OOJ' is a '91 Sorrento GTi and basically a bit of a forum legend!

Ben (Bonzai) bought and owned the car since around '04 iirc. In around '06, a small group forum members; Anthony, James_R, Bonzai of course, Bono & I had a weekend at James_R's swapping the 1.9 out and fitting the freshly run-in rebuilt Mi with full Maniflow Manifold & system out of James' old Car, 'BTX', into 'OOJ'. Since then it's had numerous changes, Emerald & Throttle bodies, SD Challenge Cage etc etc and was enjoyed, Ben & Kate doing the Eurotrip in it, but it was also written off a couple of times!!

th_meBonzaiMi.jpg

Blast from the past! :lol:

Ben then sold it on to Keith (masekwm) in '09 and i bought it as another toy a year or so later, instantly changing the suspension and horrible 1.9 gearbox for a set of Koni's, bigger rear ARB & my hybrid 1.9 'box with 1.6FD & Mi 5th gear & Kaaz plate diff. Changed a few more bits along the way & generally tidied it up a little, but basically used it! It's done a bit of field racing... a few sprints, a Cadwell trackday and Pugfest where it's served it's purpose very well! :)

th_IMG_2222.jpg

th_DSC_8216.jpg

But!

I've known the shell's seen better days since back when Ben had it, but had a bit of a pick the other night and this happened surprisingly easily;

th_IMG_0734.jpg

It's been a great car in the short time i've had it, goes well, makes a great noise, helped me win the whole Category B Class in the ASEMC Sprint Championship last year, & basically been fantastic fun!

Unfortunately though, coupled with the fact that the other side isn't much better and there's already substantial 'repairs' underneath her, the MOT and tax are out too so although it's basically been known for a while, it pains me to say it will be being broken up for parts imminently! I'm already missing it! :(

Just for your aural pleasure, here's a short vid i grabbed the other day putting it back in the workshop, although it was running out of fuel...

th_IMG_0687.jpg

:wub:

Keep your eyes out for a big for sale thread soon... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

SurGie

Whats really stopping you from doing it up, breaking another 205 GTI is a dreadful thing to do unless its a 'total right off' if you know what i mean ?

Masekwm

The shells been hit at least 3 times by vehicles, written off twice. My welder worked for 2 hours, repairing the accident damage last MOT, irc the jacking points were rotten then.

Cracking car though.

Batfink

Sometimes a car simply is not worth keeping. We are not in the situation yet where 205 shells are particularly hard to come by. Saying that with my graphite 205 I have so many fond memories with me that I'd do everything in my power to repair it and keep it running and in my ownership.

hanpug25

Not fancying a reshell? A weekends work and hey presto :ph34r:

Baz

The same case as JPE - Mongo's / My old Miami Mi on bodies that i bought OOJ to replace, indeed it's just too far gone by my and most people's standards to bother with unfortunately, plus i have other tidier cars/shells that will benefit my time/money/parts more. This will be the fourth 205 i've broken this year already due to uneconomical repairs needed, a shame never the less!

I'll try and remember to update this thread with more horrors i find on it as i break it up, because there'll be a good few panels and sections i'll be trying to cut out of it seeing as most shells seem to have an area or 2 of nasty grot these days! I don't think it's quite sunk in that i've sold my minty 78k white shell 'ABC' to Lemmingzappa yet, i've a feeling i'm really going to kick myself when i'm looking for a replacement for my Miami...

I'd pretty much made up my mind to go and look at MiamiStu's with a view to buying as a replacement despite it being a little more road-biased like JPE, although god knows i don't need another really, so in a way i'm not too fussed it has sold!

Baz

:lol: Sorry Stu this isn't a for sale thread and i don't think the box will be for sale. The beam (rebuilt) will though. :)

Not fancying a reshell? A weekends work and hey presto :ph34r:

Ha! I wish it was that simple!! Well, in a way it will be anyway as the bits will end up on others! But i'm not keen to tbh, i have too many others, the 8v is coming along nicely and the 16v will be twice the car OOJ was, if not a bit more 'dedicated'!

Baz

Very true and i'll keep you informed! ;)

Just don't want to get told off! :lol:

Bonzai

It really is a forum car, i bought it off Adam Young (Adam Ellis back then iirc) after viewing it at a meet somewhere in the Midlands, way back then.

I will, rather, i do miss OOJ, i have so many memories from that car. But its days were always numbered.

If i had the money myself, i'd definately keep the engine and numberplate though!!

Anthony

OOJ is like a trusty family pet that's been a loyal companion for years, but arthritis and tumours ripping through its body mean that the only humane thing to do is to put it out of it's misery.

Unlike the family pet however, OOJ will live on in other cars, and it's cancer scarred body will live another life in your local supermarket, stacked up and full of baked beans.

SurGie

It really is a forum car, i bought it off Adam Young (Adam Ellis back then iirc) after viewing it at a meet somewhere in the Midlands, way back then.

I will, rather, i do miss OOJ, i have so many memories from that car. But its days were always numbered.

If i had the money myself, i'd definitely keep the engine and numberplate though!!

As the car seems to be a forum car does that not show how well the car was looked after by the forum members that owned it :o

monkee87

Shotgun some parts from it! ;) if they're still there being a stripped out caged car of course.. Haha.

Anthony

As the car seems to be a forum car does that not show how well the car was looked after by the forum members that owned it :o

I think it's more indicative of being a 20 year old car that's been driven into and written off twice tbh - mechanically, the car is sound enough, just the body has rotted and been demolished around it.

In 5 years cars like this will be worth saving I don't doubt, but as it stands now, it's nothing more than a collection of nice parts/spares housed inside a battered green shipping container...

Richie

At least it didn't rot away in someones field, it perished after making alot of people happy and doings its job as a 205. Minutes silence on the forum when its scrapped.

steve@cornwall

It's a '91 sorrento - if it had been heat-shrink wrapped from new and kept in a humidity controlled environment it would have rotted ;) Add in accident damage with stresses and distortions to areas that are not apparent or accessible and it becomes a testament to previous keepers that it's still around at all IMO. Also it has been used competitively. We are 205 DRIVERS after all, not CURATORS :rolleyes:

lemmingzappa

I don't think it's quite sunk in that i've sold my minty 78k white shell 'ABC' to Lemmingzappa yet, i've a feeling i'm really going to kick myself when i'm looking for a replacement for my Miami...

Don't worry I'll look after it !

Needs a couple of new plates welding on the rear bumper mount sections but I haven't seen any which don't yet ! :)

Shame about OOJ mate.

Edited by lemmingzappa

Baz
:o You're kidding me? Already! They were all minty when i cleaned and re-painted the arches and underside etc, that must've been at least 2 yrs ago i know, but it's not done much since as you know!

lemmingzappa

The holes that were for the original sunroof drain pipes have crumbled away a bit but it doesn't seem as bad as OPL was. I should probably attend to it when I can though as I'm not sure if water splashes in that way from the tyres?

Other than that though it's all gravy, still toying with the idea of keeping it stripped out ^_^

kyepan

Sometimes I think you only deliberately post unrealistic and contrary opinions to attract people to rant at you...

... DOH..

:blink:

lemmingzappa

Sometimes I think you only deliberately post unrealistic and contrary opinions to attract people to rant at you...

... DOH..

400px-Trollface.jpg

SurGie

... DOH..

Not at all pyepan. I would be a sheep if my opinions were the same as everyone else's. As if anyone wants negative rants in the first place.

It was merely an observation. Forum members are enthusiast for the 205 and as this car has had a few of them, im surprised that all of them let this 205's rust get so bad its not realistically repairable now. How can that be unrealistic and your post is off topic BTW.

Now sure what that ^^ picture is suppose to be, is it a smug face or laughing face :unsure: ??

Batfink

maybe because after it had been written off numerous times its less desirable in both value and condition and major rust repairs simply become uneconomical. Seems obvious to me and I would expect forum members to reshell 90% of the time. It was on borrowed time.

lemmingzappa

Now sure what that ^^ picture is suppose to be, is it a smug face or laughing face :unsure: ??

It's a trollface.