• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
miamigtimark

Tappy Tappy Tap Tap Crunch . Oh F**k!

miamigtimark

Hi guys,

Engine packed up today. RAC diagnosed siezed engine.

Before it let go i could tell the valves had got a LOT noisier (so im presuming the head is my real problem) and i lost power.

Eventually car stalled at a junction and now wont turn.

I need to strip the head down but im just wondering wether its siezed because a valve(s) has dropped (i hope) stopping the piston(s) or the whole unit is fubared.

Options and opinions please.

Cheers, Mark!!

Mikey S

Hi guys,

Engine packed up today. RAC diagnosed siezed engine.

Before it let go i could tell the valves had got a LOT noisier (so im presuming the head is my real problem) and i lost power.

Eventually car stalled at a junction and now wont turn.

I need to strip the head down but im just wondering wether its siezed because a valve(s) has dropped (i hope) stopping the piston(s) or the whole unit is fubared.

Options and opinions please.

Cheers, Mark!!

the head will get alot noiser due to oil starvation, so its either ran out of oil :o or has suffered oil starvation, possibly due to a oil pump failure. its more than likely that the bottom end has seized. the only way of really checking is to drop the sump and try and turn the crank with a spanner or drop a big end bearing cap off and inspecting the bearing.

imo the things scrap. your probably better off sourcing another engine rather than an expensive rebuild.

mike

miamigtimark

Thing is the head always tapped from the beginning but not to this degree.

Hence me thinking the valves were always bent and had got worse. Was thinking a bent valve would lock the engine by stopping the piston / crank.

So i presume that replacing the head with a recon one isnt going to solve the problem and that potentially the whole engine is toast.

pugpete1108

if the valve has contacted the piston they are more than likely damaged too and as said cheaper the buy a new one.

take the head off and have a look, if the crank wont turn with the head off then its fubared

welshpug

whip the plugs out, quite possible its dropped a valve hear or two, you'll see down the hole is there's any damage, plug tends to be mashed too.

miamigtimark

If the crank does turn with the head removed what should i be looking for on the bottom end in terms of damage??

pugpete1108

im no expert on bottom ends but probably knackered big end bearings?. if there is no damage to the pistons or valves then it must be bottom end damage?

but as i said im no expert

Cameron

If it won't turn at all then whatever it is you've probably had it!

My money is on a valve head or two having popped off, specially if you know it's been a tapper for a while!

Paul_13

I presume its a 6 engine?

Valve heads probably snapped off, possibly smashed a hole through piston and/or the valve head wedged in one of the ports.

Can't really tell without taking it apart.

You've just joined the club of fished engine, I'm a platinum member, no need to ask for a renewal.

miamigtimark

Plugs removed today. All intact.

miamigtimark

Also after the engine siezed i no longer have any warning lights on the dash ie stop/handbrake etc.

However i do have interior/ hazards etc.

Any ideas?

allye

All plugs in good order? Thats bad news then, from what I'v read/been told the bottom ends on 6 engines do like to let go. A accurate diagnosis is impossible until you get the head off though!

James_m

You might as well just take the engine out and start dismantling. Personally I would just buy a new engine, if its seized its doubtful anything is salvagable

miamigtimark

New engine sourced (cheers sorrento pete), to be picked up next weekend.

Old unit getting kicked out tomorrow!!!

miamigtimark

Update.

Everything is back in / transferred.

Still have no ignition lights (ie handbrake / oil / battery) on the dash though.

Im thinking the altenator?

Anyone point me in the right direction?

CosKev

Have you checked fuses?

Who converted wiring loom over to fit the Gti6 lump?

rallyeash

did you do any checks on the old engine, except for the plugs? when you say it let go and lost power was there any horrible noises, did the engine feel like it went tight?

what did the rac do to diagnose the engine as seized?

reading through this thread it could of been somthing as simple as a wiring issue and still have that issue now. with old engine being fine still (except for a tappy head)

miamigtimark

ive checked the fuses in the glove box. All fine.

Loom converted by me. All properly soldered and heat shrunk.

Loss of ignition lights coincided with engine siezure.

miamigtimark

did you do any checks on the old engine, except for the plugs? when you say it let go and lost power was there any horrible noises, did the engine feel like it went tight?

what did the rac do to diagnose the engine as seized?

reading through this thread it could of been somthing as simple as a wiring issue and still have that issue now. with old engine being fine still (except for a tappy head)

Old unit is definatly siezed. Bottom end.

horrible noises? yep like an engine eating itself!

Grinding noises and loss of power.

welshpug

have you actually removed the plugs and put a spanner on the crank bolt?

may have just been a dying alternator and running out of battery juice...

miamigtimark

have you actually removed the plugs and put a spanner on the crank bolt?

may have just been a dying alternator and running out of battery juice...

Yes. Rachet on crank bolt. Siezed solid.

All other electrics on vcar work great. Ie lights / indicators / fans / washers

Sign in to follow this