• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Batfink

Replacing Rear 1/4 Panel

Batfink

My 205 has had a replacement panel in its lifetime. Due to a bit of rust and repair I reckon the easiest thing to do is replace it. How difficult is it. Its not been sealed round the arch so thats easy (and probably why its not survived well, are they just spot welded at the roof, around the light cluster and so on?

Is it one to leave to the professionals?

stu8v

The only hard part really is where its brazed onto the roof panel.

other than that its really just a case of drill the spot welds.

SDC13033.jpg

cRaig

A bodyshop did my rear quarter, again, the main difficulty is the top join with the roof, and possibly fabricating the corner flat panel next to the light cluster, which has the drain (if sunroof present)as its not availble from peugeot, and doesnt come with the quater panel:

dscn2163zu.jpg

dscn2164g.jpg

dscn2167.jpg

dscn2168w.jpg

Hope the pics help :)

Edited by cRaig

Batfink

cheers for the pictures. Certainly gives me a good idea of what needs doing. I think its the right thing to do for my car then :D

• Like 1

MerlinGTI

They made a real nice job of that drain panel Craig! Really impressed with that :)

cRaig

Yeah, they certainly did :) Took them several card templates apparently lol.

They arent a classic, or resoration garage, but as a body repair shop I think they enjoyed the challenge and variety of working on somehting a bit older and different, enjoyed fabricating bits etc.

matt.f

Just make sure you cut it higher than the last person did so you don't have two joins.Also use a good weld through primer and get plenty of waxoil(cavity type)inside,especially where the penetration is on the inside.

Edited by matt.f

Batfink

Just make sure you cut it higher than the last person did so you don't have two joins.Also use a good weld through primer and get plenty of waxoil(cavity type)inside,especially where the penetration is on the inside.

where do I want the waxoil? I dont have an inner skin so everything is exposed...

omega

im sure theres a rear quarter panel for sale in the ads section at the moment but i cant find it

Batfink

Thats the one im buying :D

matt.f

Waxoil(clear cavity type) needs spraying in all the cavities and try and get some on the penetration of where it's welded on the inside.

rodders

Hey Craig where did you get the rear quarter panel... I need a drivers side!

cRaig

Got mine from Peugeot, but it turns out I think I had one of the last ones available! Lots seem to be coming up on ebay these days, the non-gti ones, but they are easy enough to convert, just missing the holes for the trim clips as far as I am aware :)

Craig

rodders

Cheers mate, I tried Peugeot Ireland, France and uk with no luck.... will keep on searching

chipstick

Yeah the GTi panels are a comical egg shape.

rodders

Cheers for the link and advice