• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
smithy

Clutch Issues

smithy

firstly a little background info,car is a 1.6 gti that had a 1.9 8 valve fitted back in 2001 and also went from be1 to be3 gearbox the engine was never ran and was left stood in a lock up until i bought it in august.

the clutch was well fubared so i changed it with a replacement 3 part kit purchased to chassis number as i never realised at the time it had gone from be1 to be3,also changed cable at same time.The cable went on ok just a bit tight compared to how it should be.

anyway now it is running the clutch works it is just the biting point is really low even though the pedal is level with the brake,are the clutches different on be1 and be3 or is it more likely the clutch plate is incorrect (lining too thick or something?)

also would you just run it with pedal adjusted slightly higher and see if it improves as the clutch beds in/wears?

i have double checked all the gearbox bolts are tight so ruled out gearbox moving when pressing clutch.

Anthony

The friction and cover plates are the same, the releaase bearing is different between BE1 and BE3 205 GTi's.

The clutch cable and clutch pedal is different between the two too.

smithy

thanks for the info

maybe i have the correct clutch after all as when i compared old and new they were identical apart from much thicker lining on the new plate.

although the cable is incorrect type it is functioning so i am now thinking it must be an issue with the thickness of the lining.

Sign in to follow this