• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

205 Vts Engine Conversion,

SurGie

Hi Members,

Can someone advise me on what i exactly need when using the 205 thermostat onto the VTS 2.0 engine ?

I know i need the BBM adaptor but what about the thermostat housing, is it just the housing i need as well as new thermostat of course ?

Cheers in advance ;)

Edited by Anthony

Daviewonder

I'm sure you just need the piece that the top rad hose connects onto mate, that bolts onto the bbm bit and the bbm bit bolts onto the vts bit.

SurGie

Right ok then. I did see this thread and thought the thermostat was a 205 one by the looks of it but im not sure. I know that the 205 water sensors are the ones to use for this conversion.

HERE

I will be getting the BBM VTS hose kit BTW.

Daviewonder

205 thermostat pipe comes out the front, VTS one comes out the side.

SurGie

Ok i see now, my engine must have the 205 one then as the pipe socket comes out towards the rad area. Its just i dont see the BBM adaptor.

Ill go have another look in a bit with pics.

SurGie

Here are the pics as promised VV

th_thermostatepics001.jpg th_thermostatepics002.jpg

Not sure if the previous owner of this engine package has sorted the rear of the thermostat properly ?

I think i have all the correct bits already fitted, correct me if im wrong.

Also what is the back cam end for, there is a pipe coming of it, whats that for ?

th_thermostatepics003.jpg

Cheers

Daviewonder

Looks like it's already been fitted with the thermostat adaptor. That bit on the end of the cam looks like a vacuum pump, I know S16 engines had one of these fitted but I'm unsure about the VTS engine.

Daviewonder

Just done a search and VTS engines have a vac pump, I think it's used to create vacuum for the servo.

B)

SurGie

Great thanks Dave.

Looking at the second of the first two pics closely, i can now see now the join where the pipe socket is RTV sealed to the adaptor.

Im not sure that the back of the thermostat has been done correctly, can anyone help with this ?

MM i would prefer to connect the pipe from inlet that has come from BBM set (i think ?), i just need to find something to connect it all up with now.

Although when i speak to Stu when he gets back from holiday ill know if his BBM hose kit fits this extra connection.

Cheers

Edited by SurGie

Anthony
Im not sure that the back of the thermostat has been done correctly, can anyone help with this ?

Depends how you're plumbing it in - it's correct (if a little bodged) for plumbing it in as per an 8v with an S16 style lower coolant distribution block, but wrong if you're plumbing it in with one of Stew's GTi-6 kits using the standard GTi-6 lower coolant block.

SurGie

Iv got the 306 D water manifold at the back and i will be buying a set of Stew's VTS pipe set when he gets back.

th_XSVTSoilpipesGTweldwork016.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by SurGie

Miles

Having done loads of these I really would use the GTi6 water dist and not the Derv one, BBM's RS engine kit's only fit these anyway and the room between the heater pipe and the manifold is very close even when clamped back.

yes the vacume pump goes to the servo, Blank off the inlet manifold one, Makes it allot neater

SurGie

Interesting, thanks Miles.

So the back of the thermostat has been done correctly but only when the GTi 6 water manifold is used ?

Cheers

welshpug

no, there's a metal water pipe fitted to the back of the gti6 engine (which is missing in your pictures)

the heater pipes connect to the metal pipe on the left side of the car same side of the head as the thermostat rather than passing very close to the manifold.