• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupertfinch

Gti6 Still In A 306, Some Advice On The Noise

Rupertfinch

After too many months outside the Peugeot fold, I've returned with a GTi6 306 with 87k on the clock.. I'd ask this on their forums, but I only feel comfortable here.

I bought the car in my head before I drove it, so was deaf and blind to all sorts of things on the test drive. I thought it a little tappety, but naively thought an engine flush and oil change would help. Oh no.

I've uploaded a video of the car after a good warm up run, my question is, should I really be worried? It still seems to pull very well but the other half asked if it was a diesel last night.

Any advice or thought greatfully appreciated.

Mark

Anthony

Difficult to know for sure as engines always sound like a bag of spanners in videos, but certainly that does sound distinctly like a "tapper" to me - very common on GTi-6 engines as you're probably now aware after they've snapped a cambelt and not been repaired properly. I *think* it's caused by worn/damaged valve guides but I've never looked that closely into the issue.

It's not scrap though certainly - either a properly reconditioned head or a replacement head from a non-tapping engine will fix it, or just drive it and spank the bejesus out of it and accept that one day it might drop a valve and wreak the engine. Ear plugs are optional.

Rupertfinch

Many thanks Anthony - spanking the bejessus could well be the way forward!

Though she also needs a new drive shaft and probably engine mounts. Aaaahh, needless expenditure, I'm glad to be back with pugs!)

welshpug

doesn't sound quite like a tapper, first check is to whip the plugs out, grease them then torque down, see what happens.

its not unknown for them to come loose on these :)

injectors can be noisy, and they are rarely the smoothest sounding on idle.

Rupertfinch

Many thanks for your input Welshpug. I've noticed your input on 306 forums. I shall try the plugs very soon.

Would trying a good asnu clean help the injectors? It's interesting that you say they're rarely the smoothest on idle, I'd always assume they were a tiny bit tappety, but most forum information seems to suggest they're smooth as silk rather than sounding like a singer sewing machine.

dcc

injectors on these engines do make a lot of noise, i remember beign paranoid about mine, and mei always had a good reason for the noises it made - "might be a loose bolt/nut on exhaust manifold, loose spark plug, noisy injectors" worst comes to worst, you will have to find a new engine when/if she lets go - £400~ so not bad at all!

Rupertfinch

As always I'm inspired by this forum. I'd feared the worst and reckoned my entire investment was down the toilet (as if cars can be an investment!!). Now I shall proudly drive it and rejoice in the sounds of noisey injectors, loose sparkplugs, bad exhaust manifolds etc... That's before I worry about the dodgey driveshafts and engine mounts.

My thanks to all and I'll be keeping my eye out for a re-built head, or perhaps I shall have a go and create a thread where my mechanical apptitude can be mocked.

allye
or perhaps I shall have a go and create a thread where my mechanical apptitude can be mocked.

Do it! Trying new stuff is great fun and massively satisfying. I'm doing my GTI6 conversion, before now I have only ever changed a TU engine and carried out minor mechanical work,

deep end jump ;)

damien
My thanks to all and I'll be keeping my eye out for a re-built head, or perhaps I shall have a go and create a thread where my mechanical apptitude can be mocked.

"mechanical_repairs" on the gti6 forum does recon heads for about £350, ive never had any dealings with him but the 6 forum rate him highly.

but on the other side i have heard some horror storys.....

MrP

My Gti6 engine was far worse than that, to me doesnt sound too bad there known for not being that quiet, I would just drive it.

"mechanical_repairs" on the gti6 forum does recon heads for about £350, ive never had any dealings with him but the 6 forum rate him highly.

but on the other side i have heard some horror storys.....

Speaking from actual experience, I had my head repaired my "mechanical_repairs" and my engine went from sewing machine to purring kitten, I cannot recommend him high enough for anything Gti6 related.

shalmaneser

I do know that the vacuum pump can make a rattly sound on these engines if it's a bit knackered, might be worth looking into.

don't panic too much, there are plenty of things that can make a bit of a rattle that aren't the valves!!!

Rupertfinch

Again, thanks for the additional replies. I've had my father on the phone today and he reckons that that American Snake oil stuff that Quentin Wilson recommends on ads - Ametech. 20 quid a can, my arse - will be the miracle cure.

I've pointed out that there could be any number of reasons, but I'm worried he'll tip this tat in without me knowing. I shall have to confiscate his key, but there's no room on my drive for it, so it'll remain vulnerable to his attack :huh:

Edited by Rupertfinch

Miles

Rarely guides, In all my GTi6 head repair's I've yet to change one, Normally bent valves which most companies cannot trace as they are bent that little,

Rupertfinch

So from what you're saying Miles, even with the head off and the valves removed, I'll probably be unable to identify bent valves? As a result, they would all require replacement? Considering the cost involved of 'preventative' (if you know what I mean in this context) valve replacement, then surely either buying an entirely 'new' replacement head or simply waiting for the inevitable BANG could well be the only sensible option. The consider new head or entire replacement lump. Anyone fancy posting one to Northern Ireland - it'll take a lot of stamps!!!

24seven

If it does turn out to be a "tapper" then it'll be the sound of a slightly bent valve head tapping as it closes, bending back & forth each time until eventually it fatigues and breaks, destroying the engine - even if it's bent by the tiniest amount. If you're confident enough with a valve spring compressor and some spanners I was recently quoted £145 for a full set of 16 OEM spec valves for one of these engines that I'm putting in my 309 by a member on the 306gti6 forum. Otherwise a recon head from Carl (mechanical_repairs) is a good bet.

From the sound of that video to me it's more of a "popping" sound, which suggests a leaky exhaust manifold or a loose spark plug. Try the plugs first if you haven't already. I had a plug work it's way loose on my 1.8 16v 306 (mostly the same head) and it sounded horrible, I though the engine was going to die at any second.

miamichris
So from what you're saying Miles, even with the head off and the valves removed, I'll probably be unable to identify bent valves? As a result, they would all require replacement? Considering the cost involved of 'preventative' (if you know what I mean in this context) valve replacement, then surely either buying an entirely 'new' replacement head or simply waiting for the inevitable BANG could well be the only sensible option. The consider new head or entire replacement lump. Anyone fancy posting one to Northern Ireland - it'll take a lot of stamps!!!

It won't cost a lot of stamps mate, I've used senditnow.com with good results to collect bulky items a few times recently from across the water. I've couriered a wing, bumper and two pairs of tyres (seperate parcels) with no problems using them, providing the parcel weighs less than 25 kg's then its only £11 for a 2 day service.

Handy information to know if you find someone a head you want to get sent over, it won't cost the earth to get here :lol:

Rupertfinch

Balls to it. I've been doing a bit of work on a mini head in my car restoration course and so reckon that with a set of valve spring compressors a big bag of new valves and some lapping paste I could have a good go at this.

I will of course be checking out the other suggestions you chaps have made, which are greatly appreciated. And many thanks Chris for the mention of that delivery company, previously I've only really shipped over an set of front seats and a gearbox from Dan Taylor and that cost the guts of a ton.

Keep your eyes peeled for the hilarious 'I've taken apart a noisey but functioning engine and now I've got a silent broken one' It'll be epic :lol:

Paul_13

I'd say the opposite about Carl to be honest, depends what mood he's in.

I've done a fair bit of work on gti6 forum members cars, a lot of which Carl had done work on and funnily enough most of what he has touched I was repairing/replacing.

Id never seen a rear beam so worn and apparently he had rebuilt it 9 months previous...

al_gee82

I don't post on here often but after seeing this thread and having had my 6 in at 'CG Cars' (mechanical_repairs) for a recon head after HG failure, I had to post to say that he is indeed a genius when it comes to these engines. Highly recommended.

P.S we aren't a bad bunch over on 306gti6.com. Get yourself over there fella :)

Sign in to follow this