• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tyerz

8v Turbo Ecu Help

tyerz

Hi guys bought an ECU that was professionally "unlocked" but have finished my engine installation and have no spark or fuel which had got me thinking that it may not be unlocked, so what I'm hoping is someone will be willing to put it on there car and see if it will run with my ECU and if I'm honest I'm hoping it won't as it will confirm it is the ECU and not something else so is there anyone local to nottinghamshire or if I post will be willing to put it on there car

For me?

mang
Hi guys bought an ECU that was professionally "unlocked" but have finished my engine installation and have no spark or fuel which had got me thinking that it may not be unlocked, so what I'm hoping is someone will be willing to put it on there car and see if it will run with my ECU and if I'm honest I'm hoping it won't as it will confirm it is the ECU and not something else so is there anyone local to nottinghamshire or if I post will be willing to put it on there car

For me?

have you tried the crank sensor? if you dont have any better offers your more than welcome to post it to me and ill stick it on one of my turbos

tyerz
have you tried the crank sensor? if you dont have any better offers your more than welcome to post it to me and ill stick it on one of my turbos

After doing a bit of reading Iv got a couple of things to test this weekend including the crank sensor but if all them fail I will prob take you up on that offer, obviously beer tokens will be rewarded

mang

no probs let us know how you get on

Henry Yorke

What is your ECU number? If it ends in 219, then they don't have immobilisers

Anthony

Have you double checked that you have the appropriate voltages at the double relay?

It's common for people to miss out a switched live when doing the loom, and that can also give no spark/fuel.

If you do a search you should find posts detailing what voltages you should see on which pins - I think M@tt has posted it previously when he was chasing a similar issue.

tyerz

Iv just messages matt as he did my loom but voltages are totally wrong at the double relay Iv only got voltage at pin 2 when ignition on, noting at pin 8,11,14,15 which autodata says should have voltage with ignition off

M@tt

you're missing the permanent lives

Its been that long since i had your loom i cant remember exactly how it was however have you got the wire from the battery positive to the starter and alternator connected up? because on some looms the main loom perm +12v comes from a connector which connects to the alternator so needs connecting up to the alternator output terminal as well as the wire from the battery/starter.

an easy check to find where all these perm 12volts come from is to put your multimeter on resistance, stick one end in pin 11 of the double relay connector and then touch the other multimeter probe on each of the loom connector pins in turn until you et a connection this will tell you if the perm +12v come through the connector or not.

do that first and report back ;)

Edited by M@tt

tyerz

Sorry to sound stupid but when you say loom connector pins do you mean where they plug it the car? The 2 round plugs?

M@tt

yeah the plug which mates the turbo loom to the 306 loom

tyerz

i just need to check one more thing matt before i report back,

But the pins on the ecu on your xm wiring on your sig clicky show pin one being bottom left....

I may have been totally stupid here but my ecu socket had a couple of numbers on that are different to that and we worked out that on my ecu socket the pin next to what you have marked as one to be 18? have i made a massive fook up? because as your pic shows means i have put a perm live to pin 2 not pin 18? could this be causing the issues im suffering?

M@tt

I'm a bitunclear why you think you have put the wrong voltage to the pin, i mated all the wires together so all you needed to do was plug it in, there should have been no need to run additional 12v to random wires

How do you think you have been putting 12v to either this pin2 or pin 18? ie have you undone some wires and put a feed from the battery direct to the wire you though this pin was?

tyerz

I'm gonna go and double check some stuff tonight on it and will report back as I was told that what I was describing sounded like there was no perm live to pin 18 so ran a wire to it but will test resistances tonight and post findings

M@tt

ok ;)

tyerz

42a36866.jpg

Based on that layout tested at 20k

Pin 5 -2.83

Pin 6 0.0

Pin 10 9.71

Pin 19 - 2.82

Everything else was dead

M@tt

right i've found my bit of paper with all the pin outs on when i joined the looms :)

yes pin 6 is the perm +12v

right next check that the resistance goes to 0 when you touch pin 6 of the connector and then pins 14, 8, 15 in turn. They should all go to 0. If they all go to 0 then we know all the inputs on the double relay come from that pin.

The next check is to check pin 6 on the car side of the loom has perm +12v coming from it. Make sure the battery cables are all connected. disconnect the plug which joins the 2 looms together and then check to see if pin 6 has perm +12v coming from it. If it hasn't then check each of the other pins on the connector and report back which if any does have +12v

tyerz

Based on the layout of the pic below

53e75675.jpg

With ignition off

1.dead

2.dead

3. 0.17

4.dead

5. 0.16

6.dead

7.dead

8.dead

9.dead

10. 0.17

11.dead

12.dead

13.dead

14.dead

15. 0.16

16.dead

17. 0.16

18.dead

19.dead

But the pins for the relay 14,8,15 all read 0

M@tt

right well you're missing something at the car end then if you've got no permanent live coming from the car side of the loom., either something's not connected up right or not plugged in.

it wont be anything to do with the matching up of the looms as you simply dont have any permanent voltage coming through the loom from the car. You need to double check all the plugs are plugged in correctly.

tyerz

There was power at some of the pins with the ignition on, but there is no power at the fusebox in the engine bay(fuel pump fuses etc) not had chance to have a proper look over it all yet but off work again Monday so hope to report good things then

tyerz

totally lost now, as i cant workout why no perm lives at the plug but i introduced 12v from the battery to the pin and the fuel pump kicked in but it stayed running with the ignition off?

M@tt

12v to which pin? pin 6? did you do this whilst the loom was connected?

what things had you unplugged apart from the loom?

you mentioned previously that you were missing all power to the dash etc so you've obvioulsy unplugged other thngs apart from just disonnecting the loom

where does the car part of the loom plug into? i'm not familiar with 306's

Edited by M@tt

tyerz

12v to which pin? pin 6? did you do this whilst the loom was connected?

what things had you unplugged apart from the loom?

you mentioned previously that you were missing all power to the dash etc so you've obvioulsy unplugged other thngs apart from just disonnecting the loom

where does the car part of the loom plug into? i'm not familiar with 306's

as your looking into the engine bay its on the bottom right hand side, have all power at the dash and it turns over etc, but added a perm 12v to pin 6 and all the pump did was wind over with ignition on or off

M@tt

so at the connector in the bottom right hand corner you have NO permanent 12v's at any of the pins? (the pins in teh connector that are attached to the car)

tyerz

No perm lives at all, I had switched lives when the ignition was on but still no switched live at 6 and when I introduced a perm live at pin 6 all it did was turn the fuel pump over with ignition on or off

M@tt

do you get a switched 12V to any of the pins? and if so which pin? (the pins in the connector that are attached to the car)

did you at anypoint unplug that loom from the fuseboard? (where the connector is attached to the car and presumably goes back to the fuse board)

where do the wires from the battery positive terminal go?

have you checked all your fuses to see if any are blown?

Edited by M@tt

Sign in to follow this