• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SurGie

[body_work] Surge's 205 1.4 Gt Mot Work.

SurGie

Hello member's,

Here is the rust i found in the drivers foot well area around the inner wing of my 1986 year model, it's all down to the sealant trapping water no doubt. Iv had many years of Mot's passed with this underneath the sealant, the sealant hides many rusty areas.

th_GTrust002.jpg

The picture below shows the result after a lot of brush grinding, which shows even more rot that i first thought.

th_GTrust006.jpgth_GTrust005.jpgth_GTrust004.jpg

This tool is very useful at removing sealant that is trapped in corners, one swipe and it came of very easy, the brush i used would not touch it.

th_GTrust003.jpg

This is the weld though etch primer i'll be using when the area is fully ready, i did not have enough time as it was getting dark. My 205 gti recon conversion has the garage room :rolleyes:

th_GTrust007.jpg

I also found more rot on the other side but where the floor meets the bulk head and around the brake pipe fixing clips. There is also a bit of the floor pan missing where it meets the sill at the same foot well area. I shall post more pics of this rot once iv sorted more out another day.

Cheers B)

EdCherry

Had that on my passenger side although more severe.

Daviewonder

Looks a little tender :rolleyes:

I was looking over one of mine earlier and it looks like it might need those brackets at the back of the rear quarters that the bumper bolts to, I have rear that these are NLA. It makes me wonder if 205's being pretty rust resistant was a good thing as they didn't rust for so long Peugeot stopped making many of the panels as there was very little demand.

SurGie

Hello members, here's a little update after doing a bit tonight.

This is the inside of the previous pics,

th_XSVTSoilpipesGTweldwork020.jpg th_XSVTSoilpipesGTweldwork021.jpg th_XSVTSoilpipesGTweldwork022.jpg th_XSVTSoilpipesGTweldwork023.jpg th_XSVTSoilpipesGTweldwork024.jpg

The area near the pedals was very rusty and has come out pitted but has not gone through the steel like the inner arch has. This side is quite bad but the other side was very good compared, look below VV.

th_XSVTSoilpipesGTweldwork027.jpgth_XSVTSoilpipesGTweldwork028.jpg th_XSVTSoilpipesGTweldwork029.jpg th_XSVTSoilpipesGTweldwork030.jpg

All being well i should be starting the welding by Tuesday next week then MOT it next Friday.

Cheers George.

Edited by SurGie

Tesstuff

You are busy Tuesday next week!! :)

SurGie

Oh yeah, ups.

It'll be wednesday then :)

harryskid

SurGie i think your dentist might like his tooth pick tool back now! :D

SurGie

:D

I got that set of tools from Machine Mart for lining the jet wash jets and they always come in handy for other jobs.

SurGie

A little more work done, i would have started welding tonight but i couldn't because of the rain.

I've some more rot now.

th_GTworkClutchcableetc005.jpg th_GTworkClutchcableetc004.jpg th_GTworkClutchcableetc008.jpg th_GTworkClutchcableetc007.jpg th_GTworkClutchcableetc002.jpg th_GTworkClutchcableetc006.jpg th_GTworkClutchcableetc009.jpg

Its under the seat frame that has the most rot. I dont think it will be ready for the mot till mid next week.

Cheers.

SurGie

A fair amount of work has been sorted now and have started welding it but will sort those pics out at a later date. This has taken far more time than i originally thought it would do, but hey that's old 205's for ya.

th_GTworkgarage002.jpg th_GTworkgarage001.jpg th_GTPREPandSkoo001.jpg th_GTPREPandSkoo009.jpg

th_GTPREPandSkoo010.jpg th_GTrustpics008.jpg th_GTPREPandSkoo017.jpg th_GTPREPandSkoo012.jpg

th_GTrustpics001.jpg th_GTrustpics002.jpg

The unprimed bits have now been primed.

It looks like i cant MOT it and tax it until May now my funds have been swallowed up by my 306 GTI6 for its MOT :rolleyes:

Cheers :)

SurGie

A few more photo's,

th_GTPREPandSkoo002-1.jpg th_GTPREPandSkoo011.jpg

Cheers :)

allye

Christ! I would of scrapped it in ages ago! (its also an XY :lol::ph34r:)

feb

That's a lot of rust, do you have any idea why/how did this happen?

You have a lot of courage though!

Anthony

Fair play for spending the time and money to sort that out, as by 205 standards, that dreadful and I freely admit that I'd have been defeatist and scrapped/reshelled it without question :blush:

I know that it's likely an atleast partly non-galvanised shell being an '86, but is there any other clues as to why it's got so much rust in so many different places such as having spent much of its life living near the sea for example? Obviously if it's not galvanised that will have played a big part, but there just seems to be too much rust in some very odd and uncommon places for it to be just that I'd have thought - I'd have expected it to be badly rusted in the usual spots sure, but just seems odd where it has gone.

Actually, out of curiosity seeing as they aren't pictured - what are the usual rust spots on the later shells (under rear seats, rear footwells, boot floor, behind headlight panels etc) like on this earlier one?

rallysteve

Keep up the good work George, Its good to see someone still showing an interest in an old XY :)

Steve

SurGie

Yeah the only reason im trying to keep on top of the rust etc is because its an XY8 engined shell, the old Samba had the same engine afair. Iv had it since 2005 and i dont know much of the history of it apart from a list of things that has been done to it, engine wise anyway. The engine is a good un and pulls very well, its just the shell that lets it down. I have found though that the GT handles better than the XS i had but not as fast, although there are many variables like previous owners etc. For me the GT just feels lighter and more planted than the XS was.

The rear beam seems fine, no squeaks or nothing and has passed it's mot every year since 2005 and only needed a set of front disks and pads and rear shoes, as well as wishbones and bulbs etc. Although the beam im sure will need to be refurbished sooner than later due to age.

Im not sure if it was galvanised or not but there is a fair amount of other rust on the shell. The doors are very bad which will be replaced at some point from an old diesel 4 door shell maybe. The wings are bad on one side and going on the other but still mot passable. The headlight panels are rusty but not gone all the way through, the boot floor on the inside is almost perfect rust wise but underneath it looks quite rusty :wacko: Then again it could go through once the derusting starts :huh: The sills are good especially compared to a F reg GTI i had once, it had bad rust all through the sills. The GT sills have a little bit of rust holes under where its not very visible, very minor.

As far as i can tell the water has come from where the inner wing and bulk head meet the floor pan, the water looked like it went through the sealant. Yet as far as iv seen (the drivers seat is still in place) that under the seat brace is no where near as rusty as the passenger side was. The rear bumper bracket on the OS has gone and the other one is starting to go and i know that Pug no longer sell them. So when i get to that stage i will try to get measurements of them so others can make them for their own 205's. Also this 205 has a sunroof as well as a leaking areal, i have sealed the aerial hole for now though.

The welding has been a bit of hassle with the steel in a few of the places burning though yet everywhere else has welded fine, i think the steel was too thin in those places and i dont think iv welded it to badly for an amateur. I have found a good technique now though yet i still have a few problems making nice looking welds in tight spaces etc. Because im hard of hearing it means i cant hear the welds too well which dont help. The welds have penetrated well though which is the main thing as far as i concerned.

EDIT > Also under the rear seats only has one rusted hole on the OS the NS looks fine but so did my GTI until i started to get rid of the dreaded sealant to check it out thoroughly while the fuel tank was out :unsure:

Because im sorting out the 205 GTI resto conversion this GT is a little on the back burner and once the GTI has been done and road worthy i can put it in the other garage then park the GT in the garage with electric and start restoring it more this winter, so at some point ill do a project thread, maybe i should have posted this as a project thread :unsure:

Edited by SurGie

Anthony

The rear bumper bracket on the OS has gone and the other one is starting to go and i know that Pug no longer sell them. So when i get to that stage i will try to get measurements of them so others can make them for their own 205's.

I've got a spare bumper mount section in very good condition that I chopped off another car that was being scrapped if you want me to sketch out all the dimensions so that you can make one.

Because im sorting out the 205 GTI resto conversion this GT is a little on the back burner and once the GTI has been done and road worthy i can put it in the other garage then park the GT in the garage with electric and start restoring it more this winter, so at some point ill do a project thread, maybe i should have posted this as a project thread :unsure:

I can move it into the projects section now if you want - indeed, I assumed that it already was until I read that!

SurGie

Yeah that would be great if you can move this thread to the projects forum for me :)

Thanks, the dimensions of that bracket would be very helpful when you have the time to get them sketched out :)

Cheers