• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
benny205mi16

Jenvey Throttle Bodies

benny205mi16

Hello,

I was at a shop have the tyres taken off the 205 alloys (getting them refurbed) and the chap that was doing them was asking about the 205, when i said I had an mi16 to fit he told me he has some jenvy throttle bodies to fit one, with the engine management as well, all thats missing is a manifold.Which I could get from jenvy.

He is not going to use them and would I be interested in buying them.

If I find out what they cost now he will do me a deal on them.

I have been on the jenvy website bit do not really know what I am looking for.

Is there only one type that you fit to an mi16? when I am looking there are lots of types.

I have a grasp of carbs but do not understand T/Bs or whats involved.

Thank you

Ben

GilesW

You need to find out if they are the individual taper tyep bodies or teh parrelell type ones as teh manioflds are different.

You also need to check fuel rails - they can be £80 or more depending on type.

Also youy need tofind out exactly what he is selling, as you'll need an fpr, trumpets, air filter (and back plate), TPS etc etc. Then you can work out how much it's worth paying for them.

benny205mi16

Ok thank you,

Ill get in touch with him and find out exactly what he has,

Time to start reading up on throttle bodies.

brumster

Typically they'll be the DCOE-fitment ones, so they mimic an old Weber DCOE-style carb in terms of fitment. So you should check that what he's selling are the "TB" or "TH" style ones with a DCOE fitment. Then, as he's said, you'll just need a DCOE inlet manifold for your mi16 engine, which you can get from numerous sources.

BUt as Giles says, there are others thing to consider. Just the TB's alone, new, around a smidge over £400. But then you need to factor in :_

1) Linkage

2) Cable

3) Throttle potentiometer/MAP sensor/air temp sensor

4) Filter

5) Filter backplate

6) Fuel rail

7) Fuel pressure regulator

8) Fuel hoses

9) Management, including wiring

10) Trumpets

All bump the price up, so the more you can get from him at a good price, the better.

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by brumster

Cameron

Just one suggestion, if the engine management turns out to be Megasquirt then I'd walk away.

JonnyGee

depends how much he is wanting for them?

Baz

Retail on a complete jenvey/emerald package is around £1700, maybe a tad more due to Vat now, can be had a bit cheaper if you know who to ask! :)

Cameron

I have a contact at AT Power who can get (better than Jenvey :) ) throttle bodies for a good price. :D

Sandy

ATP better than Jenvey? Bold claim? I would not agree with that personally, taking a range of issues into account.

welshpug

I'd just say different :lol: same as bike bodies are different :ph34r:

Baz
ATP better than Jenvey? Bold claim? I would not agree with that personally, taking a range of issues into account.

I'd agree, i can see the upsides to them, but there's a few downs too. And a major factor is the price.

Cameron

Funnily enough I worked out the cost of both AT and Jenvey full setups and the difference was negligible.

What are the downsides to AT bodies then?

Simes
I have a grasp of carbs but do not understand T/Bs or whats involved.

This should help, oh and some money.

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/em_projects.html

I'm ready for the TB's ie. I'm already using an Emerald so I guess it's just another give or take £900 for the TB's, inlet trumpets, filter/air box and sundries etc (you can use the fuel rail from the Mi16) and another £350 + for mapping.......+VAT!

Edited by Simes

benny205mi16

Thank you for that link,

It made for some interesting reading,

Also the carbs Vs T/Bs write up was interesting as I was not sure which to fit.

Thank you.

welshpug

I would also consider bike throttle bodies on a properly designed manifold, Sandy and Colin's design works and is around £600, plus a filter and backplate, no need for additional linkages and in most cases use the standard fuel rail and regulator.

A fair saving and potentially better rounded performing engine.

Jrod
I would also consider bike throttle bodies on a properly designed manifold, Sandy and Colin's design works and is around £600, plus a filter and backplate, no need for additional linkages and in most cases use the standard fuel rail and regulator.

A fair saving and potentially better rounded performing engine.

My engine is standard bar a pair of cams and made 197bhp with this setup. :rolleyes:

Cameron

Interesting.. :rolleyes:

What does that price include? I may well be tempted to go for this instead of building my own considering I don't have an AC TIG at the mo.

Miles

Spanner in the works time, With the same spec Mi's I;ve built with std Jenvey's, both engine's made between 195 and 200bhp, and Simes' engine with the GTi6 inlet made the same as OOJ's engine but on bodies,

Baz

Another spanner in the works but that says a couple of adverse things to me; RR's aren't comparible, the standard Mi inlet and management is poor comparibly and the jenvey/longman inlet is not ideal.

OOJ made 181bhp on Emerald's rollers and a little more on a DD RR locally - not bad for a rebuilt basically standard Mi on TB's & management with standard cams, but i've never thought much of the map on it!

Doesn't really matter now though i guess, OOJ won't be around much longer and the engine will be up for grabs!

Simes

If we're referring to masekwm car then both of our RR results came from Emerald.

His on Jenveys.

Mine with some mild cams and a GTI-6 inlet.

Baz

Yes i remember that, i was referring to the other Mi's Miles mentioned, but i didn't know/forgotton yours had uprated cams, makes more sense now.

It's was Ben's (Bonzai), Anthony built the engine and i now own it.

Anthony

One thing to note on Bonzai's engine is that peak power was curtailed somewhat by the #4 pulley on the inlet, which had been installed back when it was on standard inlet/induction as Ben had wanted to shift the power band down for a stronger midrange. Dave Walker commented that he had to pull out alot of timing at top end as a result when he was mapping it, having a knock-on effect on peak power.

I certainly wouldn't use it as an example to prove anything in the ITB's vs plenum arguement.

Sandy

The suitability of the TB set up used... to the engine is a major factor. A bolted on TB set up without any thought or tuning is unlikely to make much more than noise over a good inlet. A good TB set up, optimised, will perform way above a single inlet through most of the rev range. Remember MOS's 2.1? I picked up 40bhp at 4500rpm changing from the Jenvey inlet to one of mine, with similar peak power. We have also observed spec for spec on the same independant rollers with ATP vs our bike bodies kits on TU engines, up to 15-20lbft better performance through the mid range with similar peak power, quite contrary to the constant insistence from those who sell them, that ATP are superior to anything else; which seems to be based on the finish/appearance primarily.

I could give you a books worth of these stories!

We might have to stop making the bike bodies kits unfortunately, since we're simply to busy with other work and Colin's manufacturing work is taking up so much of his time and moving him away from that sort of fabrication. I'm increasingly using bike bodies on my own engines however, since once you've solved the issues of mounting and adapting them, they come through with far higher manufacturing quality than any aftermarket I've seen yet, which bears out well in the performance and durability over time.

harryskid
The suitability of the TB set up used... to the engine is a major factor. A bolted on TB set up without any thought or tuning is unlikely to make much more than noise over a good inlet. A good TB set up, optimised, will perform way above a single inlet through most of the rev range. Remember MOS's 2.1? I picked up 40bhp at 4500rpm changing from the Jenvey inlet to one of mine, with similar peak power. We have also observed spec for spec on the same independant rollers with ATP vs our bike bodies kits on TU engines, up to 15-20lbft better performance through the mid range with similar peak power, quite contrary to the constant insistence from those who sell them, that ATP are superior to anything else; which seems to be based on the finish/appearance primarily.

I could give you a books worth of these stories!

We might have to stop making the bike bodies kits unfortunately, since we're simply to busy with other work and Colin's manufacturing work is taking up so much of his time and moving him away from that sort of fabrication. I'm increasingly using bike bodies on my own engines however, since once you've solved the issues of mounting and adapting them, they come through with far higher manufacturing quality than any aftermarket I've seen yet, which bears out well in the performance and durability over time.

I am glad i got mine of Colin when i did then. They work really well on my vts conversion and the guy that mapped the engine has got it set great. I've got power all through the rev range and it pulls lie hell in 5th.Thank you Sandy for your

Time putting me in touch with Colin and thanks Colin for a great piece of work. :lol:

Sandy

I'm glad it's work out well for you, that's nice to hear :lol: