• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CallumCurwood

165/50/15 On 1900 Gti's

CallumCurwood

Does anyone run 165/50 or 175/50 on there 1900 gti's? Does it stop the scraping issues when going over bumps and taking passengers....

I'm running 195/50 at the moment, but have major scrape issues on arches, does anyone have a picture of 165/50 or 175/50 on 1900 Gti's so I could see what they look like.

Wes

where is it scraping? i have 195/50 and its never rubbed. i had 15x7 on my old one and that didn't either. you sure the bump stops are still there?

Anthony
Does anyone run 165/50 or 175/50 on there 1900 gti's? Does it stop the scraping issues when going over bumps and taking passengers....

I'm running 195/50 at the moment, but have major scrape issues on arches, does anyone have a picture of 165/50 or 175/50 on 1900 Gti's so I could see what they look like.

You've got a base model shell haven't you from memory? If so, it's the different rear arches that cause the scrapping when running 15's and you don't get the problem on GTi's (unless the beam is shot or the bump stops missing).

Alot of people have run 195/45R15's to largely solve the problem - I'm sure the sizes you mention would do so as well, but they're quite odd sizes with (I'm guessing) a poor choice of tyres and will be a fair way off with regards circumeference thus screwing up the speedo reading.

Henry Yorke

1.9 wheels catch front and back on a non GTI shell with 195/50/15s and you can't do much about it. The offset is less on 1.9 wheels than 1.6's and other 14" Peugeot wheels. This means they stick out more. They catch on the front arch edge so you may need to try and lip this up and in the two skin outer rear arch which requires cutting and rewelding - flaring doesn't really work on these.

Options -

45 profiles reduce the catching

GTI torsion bars reduce the bounce at the back so less travel

get a few mm shaved off the inner mating surface of the wheel - $$$

Fit 1.9 GTI front hubs, shafts, drop links subframe and wishbones - probably new discs and callipers too

run 14" Peugeot wheels

get some 15" with a greater offset

allye

From my experience with a base model shell my 14inch 6J S2 106 Rallye wheels they rub on the top of the arch, and only slightly right on the edge of the tyre.

When I had a 205 van I put a full GTI interior in it with back seats, I also had Raptors on it (14/15? I don't know) and they never rubbed even with 3 people in the back!

As Henry suggested, try some different wheels as 15inch will always rub regardless of the tyres choice.

welshpug

wonder if running the right size for a 1.9 wheel would solve it :(

185 55 15 btw.

DaveW

Nope they still rub on 185 55 15...

CallumCurwood
You've got a base model shell haven't you from memory? If so, it's the different rear arches that cause the scrapping when running 15's and you don't get the problem on GTi's (unless the beam is shot or the bump stops missing).

Alot of people have run 195/45R15's to largely solve the problem - I'm sure the sizes you mention would do so as well, but they're quite odd sizes with (I'm guessing) a poor choice of tyres and will be a fair way off with regards circumeference thus screwing up the speedo reading.

Yes it's a base model shell, I found some 175/50 at work for a reasonable price. It's catching on the edge of the tyre, only just thou'

Daviewonder

You have Rallye arches don't you? Can't you just trim up the body behind them?

CallumCurwood

The words angle grinder + my car in the same sentence makes me want to cry :/

Daviewonder

Man up and get the grinder out :P

CallumCurwood
Man up and get the grinder out :P

I'm secretly a woman on the inside :P

DaveW

Get a gti :(

tomcolinjones

spacers? 14" wheels, or cut the arches! grow a pair lol, or get the operation

Carbs4me

i had a 1900 lowered over 100mm on the back, would scrub like hell but only on the fuel filler pipe (which eventually wore though took a good 3years tho!)

But with my experience with the axels on the 205's sometimes the camber of one wheel will be diffrent to the other due to age and wear.. could be worth looking at that as the top of the wheel will sit more inwards... causing it to rub more often..... as always i could be wrong.

profile size was 195/45/15 Toyo Proxy