• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
backroadpug

Super 1600 Engine

backroadpug

Hi all im just looking to see what spec of engine the super 1600 engines have?

Did they make super 1600 only in TU5JP4 or were they about in the TU5J4 engine?

Im very interested in seeing the spec as I would like to build my TU5J4 for the rallye as close to this engine as I can.

They seem to have nice figures for a n/a engine.

Thanks

welshpug

Yes they did make an S1600 of the later engine, as it was used in the C2, though what remains of the original engines isn't much.

I doubt you'll find exact details of the specs, but generally its something like 8-8.5k rpm, 220 ish bhp and 140-150 lbft, there's a few variances depending on the regulations at the time, some ran single throttle body on the end of a long inlet tract.

you need VERY deep pockets, and a very good engine builder! Sandy Brown is on here and has a good deal of knowledge as to what works and what doesn't, he has built a few successful race and rally engines.

Here's one of Sandy's engines that is nicely over 200.

brumster

I think I know someone with a complete super 1600 short block if you're after one - not up on my TUs, but it was a cast iron jobbie, bloody heavy - I remember because I drew the short straw to move it for him once when he moved units... oooo m'back!

Sandy

Yes, the TU Iron block is comically close in weight to the XU!

Looking into the real genuine Peugeot Sport KitCar/Maxi bits is very very expensive and they are good, but not brilliant. The replica stuff (eg copy forged pistons, rods, replica DTH bodies) are far from the best stuff you can use. If you're green on this engine and forgive me, but I'm guessing from the fact you ask, that you are; then it's better to aim to build a moderately good engine at the outset, using proven parts and develop it. Assuming you're not in the market for buying a complete, new, fully developed engine.

backroadpug

Ive seen a few vids and they look like wepons but I suppose the gear box is a big part of it also. I was just wondering what the spec was as they seem to have a good amount of power. Altho I seem to be in aw with a 106 rallye engine thats on you tube dave106rallye from aberdeen. but no specs for that one. :D

welshpug

That's Dave Paterson, not a 1294cc Rallye engine :D

Its a TU5J4 with a QEP head, throttle bodies cams forged pistons etc, circa 200 bhp, short ratio gearbox (110mph flat in 5th afaik)

VERY light and still road legal.

stefan

An XU 1.6 block using 1.6 crank, rods, with a mi16 or gti6 head could also be an option, if the regs alow it. Then again, this also requires buckets of money thrown at it...

backroadpug

Its a tu5j4 im doing for my rallye so far I have a good engine and 2 gear boxes new jenvy 42mm bodies on a st manifold clio 192 injectors new hi comp omega pistons and a few other parts.But still have a lot to go.

Im now looking into conrods the PEC ones say on the site thats the ones the super 1600 use? I know the GMC rods are ment to be good has any one used either of these.

Fingers crossed when i get all the parts and the engine built im looking for a high reving engine round the 190 200bhp mark

Then its try and build a box that can cope. should be fun.lol

Edited by backroadpug

tony perks

Here is one in a saxo:

This is Andy Gwynne in his Saxo S1600, reputed 210bhp.

This car Runs Ast 3 way suspension all round, Sequential Gearbox by Sadev. 300mm front Discs with 6 pot Calipers.

Basic Engine Spec Factory S1600 Throttle Bodys, Works spec large Follower head Factory Cams,Longer Forged rods and Forged Pistons, 3 Piece Exhaust manifold.

Andy has won Rallies outright with this car and It should be out on the Wyedean Rally in a few weeks once gearbox is back from a freshen up at Sadev.

And a little from the outside:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=99...p;v=21iPe0P11bo

Edited by tony perks

Sandy

I've got the Powerstation graph for that one, showed 212bhp at 8500rpm, but mid range isn't that great TBH! Gucci box helps to overcome it. Here are the figures from it (Kitcar Saxo, pink), plotted against one of my standard valve TU5J4s run in the same rollers:

NickCvsKitcar.JPG

You'd do well to aim for 190-200bhp, it's achievable as you can see and you should be able to do it with decent mid range if you use the right bits in the right order!

welshpug

It does run a bit more than that since then I have been told, though exact figures I don't know :)

tony perks

Andys old engine seemed always to be a real screamer the engine that is in the car now seems to have more grunt and it pulls much cleaner at the lower rev levels, it sounds like a much bigger engine. Incidentally he was tlking of selling this engine whilst it has low hours on it, and getting a NEW engine built he was talking 10K though with management inlet tract etc!

The Engine in it now, I have heard it said is running 220 :)

Edited by tony perks

Sandy

At least I would have thought for a scratch built engine using good bits. I've just finished a TUJP4 engine that's likely to be competing against it, but on H-pattern and fairly basic suspension. We can but hope!

The latest incarnation of Nick's engine in that graph was 219bhp at 8500rpm and 146lbft when we ran it at PS a few months back, after 18 months of racing! Just realised, that's the car Meirion had linked earlier on.

Edited by Sandy

backroadpug

wow that is impressive. good results with the std valve head also. I might have to give you a shout sandy to see whats the best way to go.