• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
madspikes

Hdi Fuel Filter Change...

madspikes

I know there are plenty of guys out there with 306 HDi's, has one changed the fuel filter?

I was all set to change the filter and decided to read up about on the net and now I'm running scared! Alot of people are suggesting its a bad idea to change the filter on its own, but to changed the whole housing as well, which seem excessive!

Just wondering what other people have done, or any give any advice on this?

Mad.

Tom Fenton

I can't comment specifically, but what I will say is, there are thousands of HDI engined cars on the road, and you can bet your arse any small garage who doesn't read the internet, will just happily change the filter element. As would I if I didn't know any better.

jorg

I have done this on my 306 HDi and the first time was a nightmare. As long as you have the right size socket or spanner (23 maybe) you will be ok. I think the problem is people tend to snap part of the top off when tightening it back up meaning they have to buy a new housing.

I asked in my local peugeot parts department about the housings and he said he always kept them in stock on the shelves as people keep snapping them.

first time no kidding took me 2 days to sort it -_- felt a right numpty. second time took a few mins. just make sure you drain the housing first and remember to tighten the drainer back up.

All Praise The GTI

as above people are too heavy handed and break the housing. just mark a line on top and on the body for when you refit as can be a pain to reallign and be gentle with it. as said drain first tho.

Redtop

If it's the same one im thinking of thats on the other 2.0 hdi 307's and the likes [long time since I seen under a 306 hdi bonnet], we keep the housings in stock as some digger mechanics are that rough with them they break them where one of the pipes go in. I think they are around £74 so a bit of common sense and take your time removing it and you should be ok -_-.

allanallen

It's recommended to change the whole thing as when you pull out the filter you may see that the bowl is full of aluminium filings. The HP pumps have a tendency to eat themselves over time and chuck they're guts into the filter. 

I can't see a problem with giving the bowl a bloody good clean out though and just dropping a fresh filter in.

jeremy_spoke_in

I've changed my fuel filter a few times without changing the housing. Just open the drain plug and make sure there is nothing nasty (metal filings) at the bottom of the housing. The hardest part, for me anyway is getting the housing lid back on. Takes me an unbelievably long time to do this, but i've always manged in the end. :lol:

Don't worry about it too much if you do break anything you can then get the whole housing which isn't hugely expensive iirc.

madspikes

This is why I love the forum so much.... People with common sense! Thanks for the replys.

Ok, sounds sensible - drain, clean and be careful! A job for another day, maybe when the main dealer is open! :lol:

This morning I did half the service on the 306 - would have done more but had to clean up the large oil slick caused by the wind blowing the oil as it drained out the sump.... Parents not too chuffed as it their driveway!!!

Mad

Mongo

Im just away to do mine this afternoon.

It is very easy, as has been said just be careful when removing and undo the pipe connectors going in/out of the filter and drain it first.

I have changed mine over 4 times. Make sure its on OE fuel filter, I had problems with an aftermarket one and had to go purchase an OE filter, due t the rubber O-Ring not sealing and diesel pissing out the fuel filter housing due to not sealing correctly. Be careful with teh metal spring clip as well that sits on the top of the housing underneath the cap when you put it back together.

Anthony

Straight forward 10 minute job, if that. Indeed, I'm not sure that there is an easier job - makes changing the oil look like rocket science by comparison, so no idea at all how people on the forums can make out that it's difficult :lol:

I just used a branded fuel filter from ECP and it was fine and has done 25k odd now without so much as a weep. Seals were in the box, and reused the old housing etc without issue.

Just check for evidence of alloy swarf in the bottom of the filter bowl, as that suggests that the low-pressure lift pump is about to shat itself and leave you stranded (either that, or it's been replaced fairly recently and whoever did the job didn't bother cleaning out the fuel system properly)

sport1901966

I wouldn't worry yourself too much over the metal flakes in the diesel. I changed the filter and saw the flakes in the fuel and read loads of scare stories about it when I got mine (over 3 years ago and ~40k miles). Low pressure pump is fine to this day as is the high pressure pump, and that is on a re-mapped car where the fuel supply demand is higher. At the end of the day thats what the filter is there for!

My top tip - don't undo the top by turning it using the inlet/outlet tubes, use an adjustable spanner/socket over the hex section)

Edited by sport1901966

RossD

The later filters (i.e after about 2000) are slightly harder to change as they don't have the hex 'nut' on, but agreed there's not real need to change the whole housing.

With the later filters it's easier to change with the filter removed and on the bench and get an oil filter wrench on it to undo the top.

madspikes

Was easy in the end, but had the fear whilst doing it after scare stories!

Thanks for all the replies and advice

Mad