• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
4ll5op

205 Gti Weird Noise Please Help

4ll5op

ok i have searched the net for a while now and im giving up just before i go to bed so sorry if this has been covered before but i have honestly searched and searched.

Anyway my engine has this weird noise coming from what sounds like the top cam pulley i think. it keeps changing in pitch when car the car is idle, but either stops or i cant hear it when im driving untill the revs get near 2500rpm, then the noise will fade in but if the revs get higher it fades out but if i keep the revs at 2500rpm it sounds like the same noise as when its idle.

im poppin to my mates garage on saturday just thought i could give him a heads up on what the problem is if anyone has any ideas

please & thank you

p.s it is a standard 1.9 gti apart from induction kit

Edited by 4ll5op

large

Have you removed the top cam belt cover? What sort of noise is it.

About 6 years ago I had a problem like this. two of the engine mount bolts on the top mount had snaped. The engine had droped a bit so the engine mount was rubbing on the timing belt :P . It was luck the belt did not snap.

Daviewonder

Could do with knowing the type of noise really, but I'll have a shot in the dark-

Some of the top pulley cover nuts/bolts could have worked their way loose causing the cover to vibrate a certain revs. This happened to me on my first 205, it sounded like a dirt bike at certain revs B)

4ll5op

Yer good point would help if i said what noise its like rattle/faint grind noise i had my timing done and it seemed to have gone a bit quieter for a day or 2 but seems to have come back and to be honest the pulley has seen better days would it be worth replacing?

Thanks for the reply lads

stefan

A pulley ussualy isn't a part that can wear out or something like that. If a simple check for lose bolts, rattling washers, covers, etc. fails to produce, I would then continue with a valve clearance check, among other things.

4ll5op

Ok is a valve clearence check hard to do as i dont know a lot about cars i just love driving my 205 lol ill see if my mate can work his magic on the things that have been mentioned as im paranoid to drive it as i dont know if its doing any damage

Thanks again

Daviewonder

The valve clearances are quite easy to check, it's adjusting them thats a pain in the ass! From how you've described the noise I wouldn't think it was the valve clearances. As said above I would just start by checking nothing's loose and go from there.

Sign in to follow this