• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
allye

How To Protect Fibreglass Arches?

allye

Started to prepare my Arches for paint yesturday and started to inspect the damage from only 2000miles and 6months use, they were only rattle can'd albeit by a bodyshop firend in his oven (and he did a bloody good job!)

However this times round they are getting sprayed properly and I was wondering what extra I can do to protect them from stone chips, and before you say it mudflaps are not an option! :(

Can I use stone chip on the bottom half, or some sort of super hard wearing laquer?

IMGP5245.jpg

IMGP5244.jpg

IMGP5242.jpg

Alpine white is actually quite creamy in colour so I imagine white stone chip would stand out horribly.

Cheers, Ali

Edited by allye

welshpug

Some nice thick Vinyl?

Maybe Carbon effect for the tart in you? the leading edge of many sideskirt and arch trim is protected with some thick vinyl.

allye
Some nice thick Vinyl?

Maybe Carbon effect for the tart in you? the leading edge of many sideskirt and arch trim is protected with some thick vinyl.

Not a bad idea, I'm sure Jonnygoodhand could print me some sheets of thick vinyl with a decent colour match too.

sam jfm

You can ge helicopter tape, i think they put it on the blades or somthing- i used it on mountain bike frames to stop cables rubbing. (its clear BTW)

EdCherry

Proper Leading Edge Tape (Helicopter Tape) is pretty darn expensive. Screwfix used to sell an alternative called all weather tape that I used to use on race cars, unfortunately I haven't been able to get any for a while now. If you find any (50mm x 50m rolls) give us a shout as I could do with more than 2 rolls for an entire season.

Another option is that venture shield stuff.

harryskid

Demon Tweeks sell protective plastic sheets for this and comes in different colours. Price starts at £22 ;)

swordfish210

Probably won't be a colour match but i have seen white hockey tape which is pretty tough stuff, after all it's desinged to protect the stick when a puck is twatting off of it.

MerlinGTI

Super hard laquer sir? Would one like it to be self healing also? No problem sir!

Mercedes use a ceramic based laquer. Most bodyshops carry it. Super bloody pricey though. Cool feature is it de-swirls its self and fills its own minor inperfections when heated (oven/hot day)

I would go for this + tape stuff if waging war on stone chips <_<

allye
I would go for this + tape stuff if waging war on stone chips ;)

Yes, yes I am! I want it to last this time round.

'You can even fire a .22 air pistol at it and never leave a mark!'

That amrourfend sounds like good stuff, will ask my paintshop mate about it and will give a tidier finish than roles of tape, depends as price though.....as usual :unsure: