• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
locosaki

Cps Position

locosaki

I'm gonna start fitting my throttle bodies over the winter break and I need a CPS for the ecu. I have a BE1 box fitted with no CPS hole !

Is it possible to make a plate so the CPS then fits to that and have this positioned over the square hole at the top of the box above the fly wheel or does the CPS have to be in the exact position as per BE3 box ?

Will it effect the timing if it's not in the exact position ?

Is the best way round this buying a BE3 box ?

welshpug

you don't have to buy a BE3 box, BE1's had the TDC sensor home from around late 87 on.

pugpete1108

i had an early be1 box with no cutout and managed to fit a cps that worked perfectly. i'll dig out some picks if ya like?

do you have the engine out? its much easier to set up if so.

HPIM0135.jpg

HPIM0132.jpg

HPIM0126.jpg

there you go

Edited by pugpete1108

locosaki

Yep that was exactly what I was thinking, Unfortunately I still have engine in the car !

I was just concerned that if I get the position of the CPS wrong this will alter the timing.

Tom Fenton

Yes if you get the sensor wrong the timing will be wrong.

However have you changed the flywheel as the 8v flywheel doesn't have the timing pickup ring.

If you will have to change the flywheel then it would be much easier to get hold of a later box with the correct hole.

locosaki

It's got the correct flywheel on it (MI16) I changed the box last year as it had a 1900 BE3 so I swapped over to a BE1 1600 box.

So I might be easier using a 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank pulley end then ?

tomcolinjones
It's got the correct flywheel on it (MI16) I changed the box last year as it had a 1900 BE3 so I swapped over to a BE1 1600 box.

So I might be easier using a 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank pulley end then ?

swap the bell housings over?

locosaki

My intentions are to get something set up and working without actually having to remove the box again.

tomcolinjones
My intentions are to get something set up and working without actually having to remove the box again.

then i think you had better go for the trigger wheel, as trying to mount the sensor in the box would be too hard in situe

pugpete1108
then i think you had better go for the trigger wheel, as trying to mount the sensor in the box would be too hard in situe

yeah agreed,its a little tricky getting the gap correct with the box still fitted...but still doable.

welshpug

much simpler to just fit a Box with a CPS hole than faff around with a second trigger wheel and making a bracket etc.

pug_ham
much simpler to just fit a Box with a CPS hole than faff around with a second trigger wheel and making a bracket etc.

Agreed, the box swap can be done in about four hours or less.

I swapped an Mi16 flywheel on a drivable car when I got there & left in three but I had worked one the car previously so knew nothing would be seized.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this