• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stef205

Saxo Vts/vtr Beam Rebuild

stef205

hi, im sorry if this has been asked before, My vts may have developed a axle problem, now i am wanting to rebuild it my self like i did with my 205 now my question is how do the bearings and pins come out as i was told the beam has to be cut in half to remove the trailing arm shafts and bearings does any one know if this is true or not? thanks stefan

james_pug
hi, im sorry if this has been asked before, My vts may have developed a axle problem, now i am wanting to rebuild it my self like i did with my 205 now my question is how do the bearings and pins come out as i was told the beam has to be cut in half to remove the trailing arm shafts and bearings does any one know if this is true or not? thanks stefan

The bearings are in the arms with seals in either end. The pins are part of the axel and if these are worn it's easiest to find a axel descent pins, apparently you can change them but not easily and replacements aren't readily available.

If it's disc then there's easy enough to do even if you have to change the axel you can do it with out undoing any brake lines.

stef205
The bearings are in the arms with seals in either end. The pins are part of the axel and if these are worn it's easiest to find a axel descent pins, apparently you can change them but not easily and replacements aren't readily available.

If it's disc then there's easy enough to do even if you have to change the axel you can do it with out undoing any brake lines.

well my friend works reconditioning french axles and he was the one who told me this, he has offered me a recon tube with new bearings and new pins for £100 he sold me the same for my 205, should i just go with this? i understand on how to remove the axle as ive done it before thanks

james_pug

With new pins and bearings that seems very cheap, bearings and seals are normally £60-70 alone.

JoshGti

Ive jsut rebuilt the beam on my brothers VTR and the price for all the bearings and new seals from citreon came in at just shy of £85, that included 4 needle bearings, and 4 seals (two larger ones for the inner face and two smaller ones for the ARB end plate), plus £40 for a complete beam off a 03 plate saxo with no visible wear to the shafts, and 3 hours of my time, not a bad days work!

If the beam shafts are knackered (pitted etc) then get yourself to the scrappies and rip apart the newest saxo you can find until you find a beam with decent shafts (easy enough to do just knock off the trailing arms by undoing the ARB and torsion bars). Even a base model as the tubes are all the same its just the torsion bars and ARB that differ (and the brakes), then just swap over all the VTR/VTS stuff. As for the bearings, they should just press out or use a screwdriver carefully.

Of if you have a friend that can supply you a new beam with decent shafts then go for that, still beats the £200 odd quid citreon want for a new beam without bearings.

Only other way is to get the metal built back u pwith plasma coating or whatever it is they call it, but because the shafts are pressed into the tube, you wont get them out without cutting apart the beam.

Sobaru'

hello,

Sorry to bump in with a question like this

I could buy a saxo VTS rear beam in good condition very cheap. I want to fit it to my 205 1.6 which has drum brakes, so any chance that the saxo trailing arms whit disc drake fit the 205 beam?

thanx, oliver

j_turnell
hello,

Sorry to bump in with a question like this

I could buy a saxo VTS rear beam in good condition very cheap. I want to fit it to my 205 1.6 which has drum brakes, so any chance that the saxo trailing arms whit disc drake fit the 205 beam?

thanx, oliver

106/saxo beams are completely different so the only thing you'd be able to use is the ARB.