• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

spike

Hi, i'm thinking of building an alloy blocked 1.9 GTi6 engine (XU9J4RS) to try and get round the oil surge problems of the standard Mi16 engine.

GTi6 head on an alloy XU9 block.

I've done a search and can't find anything on the subject. If there is a thread regarding this conversion please point me in the right direction.

I need to know a few things to begin with:

Does the Mi16 exhaust manifold fit the RS head?

Does the Mi16 inlet manifold fit?

Do all the oilways and waterways match up between the head and block?

What pistons are best to use?

I'll leave it there for now!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Mike

tomcolinjones
Hi, i'm thinking of building an alloy blocked 1.9 GTi6 engine (XU9J4RS) to try and get round the oil surge problems of the standard Mi16 engine.

I've done a search and can't find anything on the subject. If there is a thread regarding this conversion please point me in the right direction.

I'll leave it there for now!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Mike

I looked at doing it with the xu7 block, they are the same blocks (alloy xu blocks are the same)

why would you want to use the mi16 inlet manifold over the gti6 one? it is better than the mi16 one if you are allowed to use it.

i dont think the exhaust manifolds are interchangable.

i am unsure about what pistons you can use, but i am sure someone wil be along to tell you!

Edit, i think the oil surge problem is caused in the sump, something to do with the pump and lack of efective sump bafle isnt it? also the rods loosing loads of oil, and the head holding oil.

Edited by tomcolinjones

hcmini1989

I think you want to look for a Cameron `s thread on here he`s done ,Should be in the project bit

spike

Thanks for the replies.

I'm aware of what the cause of the oil surge is.

We are running the car on 45s so i was rather hoping the inlet might swap but i don't think it will!

Cheers

Mike

hcmini1989
Thanks for the replies.

I'm aware of what the cause of the oil surge is.

We are running the car on 45s so i was rather hoping the inlet might swap but i don't think it will!

Cheers

Mike

The inlets are interchangable just the dowls are in diffrent places ,well they were on mine so just pull them out as there not needed.Its not just about the sump and pump allso the mi16 holds oil aswell

tomcolinjones
The inlets are interchangable just the dowls are in diffrent places ,well they were on mine so just pull them out as there not needed.Its not just about the sump and pump allso the mi16 holds oil aswell

it is possible to fit a gti6 manifold (inlet) on a mi16, so i cant see why you wouldnt be able to fit your twin 45's

Cameron

Hokay!

Yeah it's been done. I think I was the first, if not one of them, and Steve (spgti is his name I think) has done it too. It's been covered in a few topics, the most in-depth is probably my thread over on French Sports Club (username is Supermuff on there) as it covers the whole build process, all the problems I encountered on the way, and how I solved them. My thread on here only skims over the work I did on the engine.

No the Mi16 exhaust will not fit, the Mi is a twin-port head whereas the '6 has single oval ports.

The manifolds are interchangeable, but the '6 one is better anyway.

All the oilways etc line up just fine, but there's quite a bit of external work that needs to be done. Cam cover, top rad hose and breathers were the biggest problems for me.

Use the whole Mi16 bottom end, the pistons are tougher than the GTi6 ones. You can use the GTi6 sump, oil pump and drive sprocket for a bit of extra surge protection. There's no need for extra oil capacity, so don't worry about extended pickups etc, you can get rid of the sump spacer / brace plate too.

Edited by Cameron

spike

I've just read your thread on FSC Cameron. You've certainly put some time and effort into both the car and the thread!!

Thanks for the advise i'll let you know how i get on!

Cheers

Mike

unariciflocos

I wouldn't get rid of the brace spacer as it adds rigidity to the alloy block.

welshpug

XU7 block didnt have that stiffener, but it was shorter stroke.

as far as I can tell with all these bits I have here using an XU7 block, timing belt covers, breathers etc with the XU9J4 crank rods and pistons is the easiest route, means you have a chance of getting a better condition block and liners.

Anthony
XU7 block didnt have that stiffener, but it was shorter stroke.

AFAIK the only engines that did have the stiffener plate was the XU9JA/XU9JAZ (1.9 GTi and 1.9 GTi CAT) and XU9J4/XU9J4Z (1.9 Mi16 and 1.9 Mi16 CAT), and other variants of the XU9, together with all XU5 and XU7 engines did not have it.

allye
Hokay!

It's been covered in a few topics, the most in-depth is probably my thread over on French Sports Club (username is Supermuff on there) as it covers the whole build process, all the problems I encountered on the way, and how I solved them. My thread on here only skims over the work I did on the engine.

Is there a way of viewing that build thread wothout being a member?

spike

I'm not a member and i managed to read it.

Go on the forum

Find media gallery and click on car projects

Then look through until you find Supermuff as the topic starter, i think it's on page 3.

There's over 50 pages,so happy reading!!!

Cheers

Mike

markw

spike,

I have done this engine too, its all assembled but yet to be run, its on jenveys and an emerald K6, I went for 83.5mm forged omega pistons,

the 8v crank, billet steel flywheel and 71/4" clutch, 8v rods, mi pistons and liners, big cat cams, solid lifters and double valve springs, ported head,

and matched T/B`s to inlet manifold and manifold to head, so its smooth all the way through, vernier pulleys, enlarged S16 windage tray, and baffled sump,

and a ported gti6 oil pump with gpA spring. it still has the std exhuast manifold and downpipe mated to a 21/2" stainless system, should make 220-240bhp we think(or hope)

Dont forget that the XU9J4 engine has oil squirters under the pistons, I dont know if the XU7 has or not?

Cameron
There's over 50 pages,so happy reading!!!

Pretty much every page is pics too. :)

allye

Cameron, I would think your threads have taken up many-an-hour of my life! Great read though, quite a pioneering project.

Cameron

Haha mine too. :)

Thanks though! Got a new long term project coming soon too.. should be very interesting. :D

allye

Oooooo! Do tell.......

Is it 205 related?

Cameron

Sure is.. gonna be some sort of mental RWD space frame thing with 205 body panels. It's gonna take a couple of years I reckon.. one to design and save money then one to build. I'll get a project thread going in the next few weeks so I can cover it from start to finish.

allye

Schweet! Have you decided on a power plant yet?

Cameron

I think so.. I was originally thinking S2000 engine, gearbox and rear diff, but think that might be a bit heavy. I reckon a Hayabusa engine is gonna be more suitable to keep the weight down, just got to work out if it's better to keep the engine in the front and have a prop or to have it in the back with a chain drive.

EdCherry

Get on the blower to Powertec, pic up a 1585 hayabusa with an SR3 transfer. 260 at the wheels easyyyy. Ran this last year and it was reliable too.

Wait until you see our hayabusa this year though :(

Cameron

Cool, sounds like it could be bloody expensive though! I do have a budget. :(

I think a standard 'busa engine plus good management should give enough power to keep me happy for a while. Massive power isn't really what I'm going for, I want this thing to corner well and be relatively easy to manage.

Edited by Cameron

Sign in to follow this