• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
oddball366

Carbon Sunroof Blank

oddball366

Just a quick one really, has any one tried a company called perfromance trim. I was told that the do sunroof blanking panels by a freind, they quote prices of upto £165.50. I haven't spoken to them as of yet but I've seen there work on some fords and it ain't bad. If any one has any info or has used them I would like to know. Many thanks oddball366

Atari Boy

Sorry, I have not seen their work but would be interested to see one, keep us posted if you get one please.

Arahan

They do roof replacements in C/F too as far as I'm aware

Edited by Arahan

GilesW

I'd be interested in seeing this too.

tomcolinjones

theres someone in shrewsbury that has a carbon fibre roof after bending his original, rolled his mi16 on track, looks the dogs tho from the inside, painted outside. doubt it has saved much weight tho. and i bet it wasnt cheap! ill find out where he got it from.

hcmini1989
theres someone in shrewsbury that has a carbon fibre roof after bending his original, rolled his mi16 on track, looks the dogs tho from the inside, painted outside. doubt it has saved much weight tho. and i bet it wasnt cheap! ill find out where he got it from.

Isnt carbon quite dangerous as in if it rolls it splinters into sharp bits? or is that fibreglass?.

tomcolinjones
Isnt carbon quite dangerous as in if it rolls it splinters into sharp bits? or is that fibreglass?.

they can laminate it like they do windshields, so it just goes like a crisp paket! but it would take a fair beating to smash, more than a steel roof would take until it bent anyhow.

hcmini1989
they can laminate it like they do windshields, so it just goes like a crisp paket! but it would take a fair beating to smash, more than a steel roof would take until it bent anyhow.

Ah right fair enough.Anyone any ideas on the price of the roof? silly money?

tomcolinjones

that depends on your sense of humour! :angry:

im waiting for a reply

oddball366

I have just emailed performance trim for a quote on a carbon roof skin aswell as a carbon sunroof blank. I will keep you lot posted as soon as I get a reply, there could be a possible group buy out of this.

GilesW

I would be after the type of blank that goes inside the hole and sits flush with the top of the roof skin.

See if you can get some info out of them on how it would fit and bond as there was a guy on here a while back getting a CF panel done. We all got excited and then all sighed when it turned out he just had a plate made of CF that was bolted/rivetted to the top of the roof, so if it's like that I'm not fussed.

hcmini1989
I would be after the type of blank that goes inside the hole and sits flush with the top of the roof skin.

See if you can get some info out of them on how it would fit and bond as there was a guy on here a while back getting a CF panel done. We all got excited and then all sighed when it turned out he just had a plate made of CF that was bolted/rivetted to the top of the roof, so if it's like that I'm not fussed.

Trouble is if you got one that sat flush your going to have holes where the sunroof rails where so probably worth getting a roof skin. And doing away with the roof lining or get a non sunny roof lining

Edited by hcmini1989

davey sprocket

Is there not enough information on their website? Clicky

Granted they don't list the full roof skin for the Peugeots but you'd be looking at £495 for a full CF roof.

I don't see why you couldn't use one of their plain sheets of wet laid CF for a sunroof blank... it doesn't actually need any strength does it?

oddball366

They say on the website that the Sun roof blank is a thin sheet that can be bonded, riveted etc directly to the roof. It will be a lot easier on the eyes than a sheet of ally. As for the comment of what to do about the old sunny rivets as they are on a supported part of the roof I've been told you can fill them in with a mig weld and smooth them off and still not get any rippling of the metal.

GilesW

Exactly. MIG the old bolt holes but you can't do that to the sunroof holes. Lol.

And welding a plate in it is very easy to warp the roof. And changing the whole skin is not the amount of work. I wanted, or indeed is needed on my track car.

Hence wanting a sunroof fill that didn't look like id stapled the side of an old fridge to it (ali panel).

Think I may just end up making a plug then getting a mate to make the panel.

Mad Scientist

I think the problem with just using a plain sheet of carbon is that it only likes to be bent in one plane. Unless its moulded to fit the roof, it won't work.

Steel, powdercoat and stainless rivets FTW!

oddball366

right peoples heres the email i just recieved. think we might have to set up a group buy.... :)

Thanks for getting in touch. We can do the sunroof blank, this is not a problem, they are either £97.07 inc VAT in fibreglass or £164.50 inc VAT for carbon fibre. The carbon fibre version is a dry-carbon, resin infused sheet, which incorporates a foam honeycomb core to increase rigidity. UV and water resistant resins for a prolonged product life. The fibreglass is a wet-lay also with a foam honeycomb core.

We have no plans thus far on making the roof panel, however, we are still ready to help. If you were to want the roof as a one-off we would need the costs of moulding to be covered, typically £1800 for a roof panel. If you were to order at least 5 items, we could take on the moulding costs ourselves and sell each individual roof for £495 bringing the total to £2475.

If you were to place a multiple order on the sun-roof blanking panels, we could offer a 10% discount on any orders over 5.

I hope this info helps, please let us know if there’s anything else we can help you with or if you’d like to place an order.

Best regards, Zoe

www.performance-trim.com

GilesW

It doesn't confirm if it's a panel that goes on top of the roof, or one that is bonded from underneath and fits flush with the roof line.

Could you ask?

oddball366

From the picture on the website it just shows a sheet bonded to the external of the roof.