• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim 892

[trackday_prep] Track Project No1

Tim 892

So I have owned my J plate 1.9 GTI since 2008 and have loved it! What a great car probably one of the best motors I have ever owned, not bad considering it is 19years old.

However it has cost me a small fortune to keep running all year round and when the starter motor went for the second time a few months ago I decided it was time to take it off the road. It is now sat on the drice and I have pursuaded my wife that we can afford to put it on a track for fun. I know this is going to take time and I have alot to learn but so far i am having great fun and cant wait to do more.

So far all I have done is stripped it bare selling off the seats and other bits of interior I have also gone out a brought a half preped car in the shape of another 1.9GTI which is engineless but has a full cage, a pair of Monaco S seats and uprated breaks in the shape of larger callipers and discs which are vented and grooved. :D

So i now have two GTI's parked on my drive which I am sure the neighbours love but hope the second one will be gone soon. I have loads of plans such as pinning the bonnet, loosing the front near side heaplamp, moving the battery inside the car, putting strut brace under the bonnet and obviously moving the cage, seats and brakes from the new car into mine.

I have loads of pictures so far and will do my best to put them on here although I am not sure how many I am alowed to put on.

Any advice will be gladdly taken as I say i have already said I am a total novice and want to get it right!

The car that will end up on the track as it was before I started.

th_082.jpg

th_080.jpg

The donor car! It has no engine now but was running 1.9 on R1 carbs! Think I may take the skirts aswell :blink:

th_002.jpg

Moving the cage should be interesting.

th_005.jpg

It has 2 Monaco S seats but they are not quite the same but hey they will do the job!

th_003.jpg

th_004.jpg

Looking a little old but not been used for around 18 months so just need a bit of a tidy up.

th_007.jpg

welshpug

I'd get a better cage tbh, not a fan of those as they bolt to such a flimsy panel at the rear.

Tim 892

I knew it was not the best one I could get but im afraid my budget is a little tight. :blink:

I was thinking of adding a brace across between the arches or do you think that is a waist of time?

tomcolinjones
I knew it was not the best one I could get but im afraid my budget is a little tight. :blink:

I was thinking of adding a brace across between the arches or do you think that is a waist of time?

You need to get the right steel, scaffolding or something will not do anything. bracing between arches wont achieve anything, as the beam is fixed to the floor, it doesnt have struts at the top of the arches. be careful, think if you hit a truck side on, is that extra bar you put in going to turn you into a kebab?

Tim 892

I guess no one will be surprised to hear that I got the sum total of nothing done today! Proper snow here got at least 4 inches on top of the car

Tim 892

So! I thought I would brave the snow today and have a bit more of a go at getting the interior out. Well it is nearly all out but I can not seem to find all the screws in the dashboard. I have the clocks out, all the centre console out, the main glove box and fromwhat I can see all the screws. I have found the ones under the glove box but still the glove bow surround won't come!

Any ideas please?

:lol:

Tim 892

Interior nearly done! Roof lining gone. Going to have to do some serious cleaning in there once the dash is out!

ca551bde.jpg

d020f3d0.jpg

tomcolinjones
Interior nearly done! Roof lining gone. Going to have to do some serious cleaning in there once the dash is out!

ca551bde.jpg

d020f3d0.jpg

its suprising how much crud gets behind everything isnt it! im not even bothering in the snow i have here, how is everything in shropshire?

Tim 892

Only had a small splattering really about half an inch or so. Problem is the council didn't bother gritting so roads weren't great. Ok now though roads are pretty much clear how about in the valleys?

Have you any ideas on my dashboard issue I have posted above any ideas would be great!

Tim 892

After some bad language smacking fingers and banging my head I have the dash board out! :lol:

I realised that there are a number of screws facing back towards you hidden out of view. Once I had those I found that there were also screws in front of the windscreen. After they were out it came no prob!

5d6c8cf0.jpg

Think I may need to call on a friend when it comes to the wiring to be fair, it looks like brain surgery to me!!!!

7e93c6a2.jpg

Also I am going to have to decide what to do with the heater rad and pipes. I have no need for them as only going to be using her on a track.

That's it for today as the little man has just woken from his morning sleep. Am going to try and have ago tomorrow as I get a good hour or two at it when he is down.

Tim 892

Spent an hour or so today pulling all the bits out ready to give the inside a good clean. Looks so strange having nothing inside but I know it will be ace when I get it kitted out! I have loads of bits to get rid of to help fund buying the new parts that I need.

More work to be done over the weekend and the more photos will follow. :lol:

Tim 892

So I have been away for a while I know, but I have had so much on you would not believe! The plan is to start up again on the project, there has been stuff done since I lasted posted but I am back on it now and will put regular updates on again!

Tim 892

Ok so been off it for quite a while but had a real rubbish year! My wife has been very unwell since July which came as a real shock so nothing had been done for ages but she is on the mend now so the project has started again.

I have a new home for the Pug now as last winter was a total no go. It is now in a nice big lock up with loads of space and dryness in the winter.

As a result of the above not alot has been done but i have given it a good go last couple of days getting the unit straight and starting on the engine removal.

Well before we had the bad news I had cleaned out the inside and sealed the interior with hammerite. The only picture I have is one where I had placed the seats in place for measuring up but its looking pretty good.

Roped a friend in last week to throw her on a trailer and off she went to her new home!

Once in the new home I have started to pull the engine out. Head lights came out first so that i dont smash them. I have a bit of a habbit of breaking things! Then the slam panel and grill, followed by the radiator and oil cooler. This is about as far as I have got so far. The engine bay is looking very empty as i have taken a few bits out already.

Got a set of Coilovers off tinterweb which should do the job nicely.

rallyeash

plenty to be keeping you busy then :)

Tim 892

Yeh more than enough to keep me busy for a long time yet especialy doing it a little bit at a time.

the picture links didnt work so here they are in the order they should have been.

th_bfccbb23.jpg

th_offshegoes.jpg

th_6167d360.jpg

th_65828c6a.jpg

much more to come!!!

Tim 892

Been spending last few days getting garage up to scratch clearing out and setting up lighting and such. I have treated my self to a new tool box which again means more sorting out of tools. Does need doing my little old box is over flowing now. No pics at the moment but will throw some up over the next few days.

Any advice on welding would be good aswell. I have only ever used an ARC welder before but that was years ago. I guess that an ARC would be a bit messy for welding in a cage am I best to get a MIG and do a load of practice?

Tim 892

IPhones having a mare. Tried to submit post twice!

Edited by Tim 892

Tim 892

Had a little bit of a go at it again today. Not done much due to setting the storage up and sorting through tools but a little bit more done. ????

So I have changed boxes from this,

9c13eae4.jpg

To this,

668c09a0.jpg

Tim 892

As for the progress on the car. I have taken the bonnet and hinges off. One to make life easier for working and two because I am thinking of getting a fibreglass replacement and pinning it down.

I have taken the inlet manifold and fuel rail off as I have no engine crane I plan to lose as much weight as possibly before I try and get the lump out.

Another pic of today's progress.????

dc15ec21.jpg

Whilst I was setting up I have managed to destroy the pull start on my Gennie which is bloody annoying have to go a few days without elec whilst I wait for new one to be delieverd. ????

3624035d.jpg

Tim 892

Made good progress on Friday setting the lock up to be a little cleane. It's a very old war bunker so have had to put up some tarp to stop drips. All sorted now though so can really start making progress with the 2 0. I am popping over there later so I will take a few pics and put them up when I can.